XIM Community

The fate of XIM4E  (Read 1951 times)

Offline pdogg6

• Southeast Gamer
    • View Profile
The fate of XIM4E
« on: 02:52 PM - 04/14/14 »
I don't remember a specific thread about this or couldn't find one about the fate of XIM4E after beta.

So I was just pondering and thinking about the upcoming release of the XIM4 :).  Excited as I am, I feel like I haven't gotten the mileage I wanted out of my Edge.  I know that I'm may be the odd man on this one because I don't play a wide variety of games.  I play Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us on the Edge.  So I know I've limited myself to the Edge's capabilities, but I have played the MP of those games exclusively nearly everyday without a break other than a break to complete the SP.  Matter of perspective I guess I have gotten a lot of hours out of it.  It has worked GREAT and I've provided a number of feedback on those games I'm sure some of you have seen.

Wondering if anyone else is in the same boat as me  ::).  So my needs to store numerous titles on the device is nonexistent.  Comes to my questions:  What's to happen to the Edge after beta?  Will it turn back into an Edge to support PS3 and 360 only?  I think it was discussed briefly, but I don't remember.  I guess I was wondering for those of us like myself that only need <4 games stored.  Is it possible to keep the XIM4E running after XIM4 releases?  If we just maintain the Laird BT Dongle and usb hub configuration we bought for beta testing will the XIM4 firmware work with the XIM4E?  I certainly understand wanting the customers to shift to the new product.  I'm not trying to take any money from the great work the team has done.  I just can't help but feel I'm not going to gain any huge benefit from the upcoming when storing 4 games is all I need anyway and I don't mind the extra hub and dongle  :-[.  Just wondering...
RTR
Setup: PS4 - XIM Apex - G502 - Sony Nav.
PS4 Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdoggcss

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: The fate of XIM4E
« Reply #1 on: 05:00 PM - 04/14/14 »
The plan was to stop supporting XIM4E. This means that future games support will not be compatible with it. That said, yes, you'll able to revert back to the latest Edge firmware.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline pdogg6

• Southeast Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08:36 AM - 04/15/14 »
Thanks for chiming in Obs.  I kinda realize later me asking these questions you're the only person or one of the few that has the authority to answer my questions hehe.  Sorry I wasted a whole thread on this question, but didn't see a clear answer in my search.  I guess it's just me in this boat LOL.  I figured since Edge technically had the capabilities if you purchased all the beta parts it could still keep going if one didn't mind the limitations of space.  But if the XIM4 firmware is not compatible then it is what it is...I get that.
RTR
Setup: PS4 - XIM Apex - G502 - Sony Nav.
PS4 Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/user/pdoggcss

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 08:59 AM - 04/15/14 »
The next build coming out for XIM4E likely tonight or tomorrow will change how connects to the "cloud" for game support. This will be done to support XIM4 builds which use different encryption keys. When XIM4E is stopped being updated, it'll still work and you can still use it, but, future game support won't be available (it'll be incompatible with the drops being produced for XIM4).
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
« Reply #4 on: 01:04 PM - 04/15/14 »
That's good to know, I really like the XIM4E Firmware & will most likely keep it on my EDGE for my separate 360/PS3 setup for the Y/X Ratio feature alone :)
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Admin