XIM Community

Xbox 360 controller on PS3  (Read 2533 times)

Offline SkItZo

• View Profile
Xbox 360 controller on PS3
« on: 01:38 PM - 03/27/08 »
Im just curious if it is possible to use the wireless receiver you can purchase for your pc (to use an xbox 360 controller) and link it to your playstation 3 using XIM. Personally i HATE the playstation 3 controller. Why oh why after 7 YEARS can they not think "Hm, this controller was NOT designed with FPS or even driving games in mind, its been 7 years, lets change the design." Instead, they figure lets leave it in its hand cramping glory and just slightly modify 2 of the shoulder buttons. Im not a fan boy of either system, i just have to say WAKE UP SONY. You have an AMAZING console. Why are you allowing it to be let down by using such an out dated piece of hardware? Anyway, back to the subject, Anyone know if this is possible? I know it is possible to use any pc input device on the xim. But this is a little different...

Thanks

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
Re: Xbox 360 controller on PS3
« Reply #1 on: 09:33 PM - 03/28/08 »
I would guess this is possible. Hell, he got a Wiimote to work on a 360 with XIM. Can you get the controller buttons and sticks to appear in the button menu on XIMconfig?

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:57 PM - 04/02/08 »
With the right adapter and the GlovePie software, pretty much anything is possible.

Offline neemz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:07 PM - 04/07/08 »
I've wanted to do this but can't seem to figure it out.

It looks like using glovepie you can get all the digital buttons on the 360 controller to emulate keyboard or mouse key presses so you can make those work that way.

You can get one of the 360 controllers analog sticks to work by making the analogue stick emulate the mouse in glovepie. You cannot however make the other analogue stick work. You can make it work digitally (ie full left or full right etc) but not with analogue movement.

Offline neemz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:53 PM - 04/07/08 »
Ok spent 15 minutes and got something reasonable working. It's not perfect but i'll leave it up to everyone else to tweak it to perfection.

First grab XAE and extract it somewhere, make a new file in the profiles directory called 360.ini put this in that file

Code: [Select]
"800 DPI - Ingame = max X+Y"
p
W
S
A
D
ENT
BS
F12
UP
DOWN
LEFT
RIGHT
F5
F6

TAB
H-
H-
H-
H-
H-
H-
H-
H-
H-
H-

Now grab glovepie and paste this into the script part

Code: [Select]
// Type your program here, or click the GUI tab to autogenerate it!

if (joy1.z > 0.1){
Key.Two = true
wait 0.01
Key.Two = false
}
if (joy1.z < -0.1){
Key.Five = true
wait 0.01
Key.Five = false
}

key.F5 = joy1.Button5
key.f6 = joy1.Button6
Key.Up = joy1.Pov1Up
Key.Down = joy1.Pov1Down
Key.Left = joy1.Pov1Left
Key.Right = joy1.Pov1Right
Key.Six = joy1.Button10
Key.three = joy1.Button9
Key.BackSpace = joy1.Button7
Key.Enter = joy1.Button8
Key.nine = joy1.Button3
Key.eight = joy1.Button2
Key.seven = joy1.Button1
Key.zero = joy1.Button4
//Mouse.x += MapRange(Joystick1.pitch, -1,1, 0,1)
//Mouse.y += MapRange(Joystick1.yaw, -1,1, 0,1)

//Mouse.x += joy1.pitch/10
//Mouse.y += joy1.yaw/10

//Mouse.xy = [(mouse.CursorPosX + joy1.pitch/10) , mouse.cursorposY + joy1.yaw/10]

debug = mouse.DirectInputX

mouse.directinputx += joy1.pitch*50
mouse.directinputy += joy1.yaw*50

//joy1.pitch= 0
//joy1.yaw = 0

To use hit Run in glovepie and then start up XAE, your 360 controller will now control your PS3 :)

Things that need tweaking are the senstivity in XAE, the translation exponent in XAE and that 50 that I am multiplying the controller movements by in the glovepie script.

If you find some good settings or improvements please post back for everyone to enjoy.

Offline Juncti

• MVP
  • MultiXimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:03 PM - 04/08/08 »
As someone that doesn't own a 360 yet. Can someone explain why you would want to do this? Does that controller provide something unique?

Offline myersn024

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08:13 PM - 04/08/08 »
Some people like the 360 controller better than the PS3 controller. It's a little easier to hold and a little more ergonomic. My favorite controller of all time is the original xbox controller....it's pretty much the same as the 360 controller.

Offline SkItZo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:58 AM - 04/09/08 »
Thanks alot for that Neemz. Now all i have to do is get my hands on a XIM  :-\ Just wondering how the response on the shoulder buttons is. Do you have full control over them or are they full on/full off?

It is sad to say that Sony have been extremely lax in their redesign of the controller for PS3. Last major redesign i heard they were doing was for the dildo/boomarang shape. Instead of thinking, hey, we have an amazing peice of hardware (The PS3), why not make a controller to match?Sony has instead decided to stick with a 7 year old design that just wasnt made for todays games. All they have done is a half assed attempt at making the bottom two shoulder buttons more analogue. and failed miserably. With the 360 controller you have full control over the shoulder buttons, they are much more sensative/responsive than the ps3 controllers. I have found that you dont have nearly the amount of control (ie for throttle) on the PS3 controllers as you do the 360 controllers. Also, i personally have found my thumb starts to cramp up after an hour or so of gaming with the PS3 controller than the 360 controller.
« Last Edit: 04:03 AM - 04/09/08 by SkItZo »

Offline KRSlups

• View Profile
    • 40k kitchen remodel Staten Island
  • Gamertag: DaKing240
  • PSN ID: Spart3nSouldja
40k kitchen remodel Staten Island
« Reply #8 on: 03:54 PM - 10/09/19 »
We   design  unique  design solutions, paying  great attention to conditions   reliability and functionality  .  We are cooperating with  client  on  all, without exception  stages perform   detailed analysis of features   objects,perform   advance counts . In the event of occurrence  questions .
Our international company EODN Stuyvesant Town  produce  List of items for kitchen remodel in agreed deadlines and cost.
In the firm Limited liability Limited Partnership RINDP East Flushing involved professionals, they all understand about Renovate kitchen under 5000.
The  Production Company   always ready to provide  high-quality  Kitchen and bathroom renovations central coast by democratic   rates . Masters  with great  practical experience work no doubt help whole   change   in a few days  or  inexpensive  repair . The price depends on selected package of services, scope of work .

Any room apartments, houses, cottages or other housing  Bellerose unique and carries personal multifunction load. And this especially to be relevant to modern kitchens.

20k kitchen remodel Nolita : kitchen renovation new york
Remodel kitchen ceiling Upper East Side : kitchen renovation

Admin