XIM Community

Homemade Gaming Lap Desk  (Read 139695 times)

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: Homemade Gaming Lap Desk
« Reply #15 on: 11:31 AM - 04/16/14 »
Can I buy one from you?

I was actually going to suggest this. You should consider selling these desks, and, if interest grows going bigger. I personally haven't seen any really good gaming lapdesks out there.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline solly

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Solicitor 501
« Reply #16 on: 11:36 AM - 04/16/14 »
I am interested in one. I looked at your diagram and it just confused me. I'm very unhandy. Hanging a curtain rod last night, I was reminded about how much trouble I have with any tools or projects around the house.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
  • Gamertag: grayskuii
« Reply #17 on: 01:19 PM - 04/16/14 »
I might consider it.  There are a few hurdles that are probably going to make it too expensive though. 

1.  MDF is sorta heavy and with its size it is definitely going to be pricy to ship.  I'm in Texas so that helps keep it even to most the US. Shipping looks like minimum $25 to Cali from TX

2.  MDF comes in 4x8 sheets - Lots of fall off that gets wasted.  I could make them 32" wide and be able to get 6 out of a sheet, but that's 5 inches off and I don't think that puts your arm in a natural position when we cut off that width, unless we shift and it is made for righty or lefty.  Then you get into balance issues etc.  I don't really like making things half @#$%.

3.  Ya'll don't want to pay me to paint.  Trust me.  You paint it and we all save money.

4. Economy of scale - if I make 8- 12 of these it might be cheap enough to make it work.

It really should be made of a molded plastic for durability and so finishing cost, and weight go down.  This would reduce waste and be cheaper in every way. 

All that being said - I would love to make some for you guys but I doubt that it would be cost effective for both of us.  I have a job, so small timing a few desks here and there probably won't be worth my time.  (that sounds harsher than I mean it).  I mean, if you brought me a chunk of mdf to my house I would cut this out and send you on your way for a 6-pack.  That's fun on a Saturday afternoon, but if its Tuesday and I don't get beer out of it, its like work - therefore I need to get paid.  This may or may not make sense.

Lastly, I have a patent for a product and my journey into retail/manufacturing has been a learning experience to say the least.  I see potential in something like this but it takes money or people in the know to make it work.  I have had lots of ideas that are in stores now, problem is I didn't have resources to put them there.  BTW, If you want to learn to play guitar go get one of my trainers here - http://www.ezguitartrainer.com

/rant
/shameless plug

How many would pay what for one of these unfinished with two covered memory foam pads that you staple on after you paint it? 
I gotta quit welding in flip flops...

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02:26 PM - 04/16/14 »
Can I buy one from you?

I was actually going to suggest this. You should consider selling these desks, and, if interest grows going bigger. I personally haven't seen any really good gaming lapdesks out there.

If i ever moved to sofa gaming i would want one of these badly!
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03:09 PM - 04/16/14 »
What about selling a paper template and the small parts? Still not worth it for EU but in US could work.
Can you measure in millimeters please?
RookCheck: Relax, no one is attacking you personally.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03:10 PM - 04/16/14 »
What about 9mm multiplex?

Offline solly

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Solicitor 501
« Reply #21 on: 03:48 PM - 04/16/14 »

How many would pay what for one of these unfinished with two covered memory foam pads that you staple on after you paint it?
I could figure out how to paint it yes.

here is something that is not nearly as nice as what you have made:
•Dimensions 22.4”L x 15.75”W x 2.2”H (2.6lbs) (its a full 15" smaller width.)
http://www.staples.com/Euro-Style-Lap-Desk/product_789290?

If shipping a big heavy MDF board around is 25.00 that gives me reason to pause. is there a way I could cut this out with my jigsaw ... I'd need a how-to video on creating a workable pattern with these circles and angles and geometry. :)

I would spend 60 bucks on something like this. that's not much beer money or margin when you factor in shipping of heavy material.

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #22 on: 09:29 PM - 04/16/14 »
What about selling a paper template and the small parts? Still not worth it for EU but in US could work.
Can you measure in millimeters please?

Sketch up is free to everybody,  You can download it and print from it.  I can also probably make a pdf to scale.  You just have to go to kinkos or whatever they have over there and print it. 

What about 9mm multiplex?

I had to google this.  We call it 3/8 plywood.  Even finish grade plywood can be grainy, and the plys, even if very tight will show on the ends.  It will work fine, just needs more work to finish it out. On a side note, I am almost positive I say aluminum different than you too.

here is something that is not nearly as nice as what you have made:
•Dimensions 22.4”L x 15.75”W x 2.2”H (2.6lbs) (its a full 15" smaller width.)
http://www.staples.com/Euro-Style-Lap-Desk/product_789290?

If shipping a big heavy MDF board around is 25.00 that gives me reason to pause. is there a way I could cut this out with my jigsaw ... I'd need a how-to video on creating a workable pattern with these circles and angles and geometry. :)

I would spend 60 bucks on something like this. that's not much beer money or margin when you factor in shipping of heavy material.

I have that desk exactly and it was my inspiration for this but it is barely big enough for a mouse and my surface pro 2.

I used a jigsaw to cut mine out.  Waiting on video to upload from phone, will be in next post.

I'm a big fan of showing people how to do things that help them do more with what they have for the rest of their life.  Kind of the teach a man to fish thing. Save your money invest in some decent tools.  Most of my tools were bought and paid for by projects.  I bought a welder instead of nerf bars on my truck and made them and other things that paid for that welder several times over.  The first few things looked like hell, but thats how you learn. Unhandy people can become very handy.  Hell, one of you probably has more brain cells that all of the guys I have ever had on my crews and they could build all sorts of things. You got this!

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09:43 PM - 04/16/14 »
Excellent work!

I agree, if I didn't play on a desk I'd be all over making one of these.
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS4 l XIM: Edge l Gaming Monitor: 24" BenQ RL2450HT prad.de rated 4 of 5 stars (gut!) l Headset: Sony Gold Wireless Headset

My config/setup: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10:19 PM - 04/16/14 »
Sketch up is free to everybody,  You can download it and print from it.  I can also probably make a pdf to scale.  You just have to go to kinkos or whatever they have over there and print it. 

A scaled be nice! Cm or mm EU measurement would be nice.
What is the weight of this lapdesk?

Offline gduck24

• View Profile
    • Make Mod Hack
« Reply #25 on: 10:41 PM - 04/16/14 »
Pardon the redneck accent, It grew that way.

This is the layout according to previous sketch up pictures.

http://youtu.be/LJba6pE2-XE

A scaled be nice! Cm or mm EU measurement would be nice.
What is the weight of this lapdesk?

I'll see what I can do on the dimensions. 
It weighs 14lbs loaded, with pillow cushioning, controller, mouse and orbweaver.
« Last Edit: 07:05 AM - 04/17/14 by gduck24 »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10:57 PM - 04/16/14 »
Code: [Select]
[center][flash=720,480]http://www.youtube.com/v/{VIDEO-ID}&hd=1[/flash][/center]
just put the video id in there, replace {VIDEO-ID}

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11:07 PM - 04/16/14 »
great video thanks

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11:09 PM - 04/16/14 »
Mist, Od1n can you please move this to tutorials where our stuff is, this is a tutorial now.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11:30 PM - 04/16/14 »
That's gducks call, he might want to keep it in projects.
Have a problem with your XIM4? Find a solution in the XIM4 Support FAQ
XIM4 User Manual   |   XIM Instructional Videos