XIM Community

MS demonstrates Azure tech  (Read 2072 times)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
MS demonstrates Azure tech
« on: 04:09 PM - 04/03/14 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxHdUDhOMyw&t=0m30s

They used it for AI in titanfall but in the demo they are using it for physics.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
Re: MS demonstrates Azure tech
« Reply #1 on: 04:11 PM - 04/03/14 »
Oh, that's why the bots are so smart.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:11 PM - 04/03/14 »
:D

The titans use azure too but they are kind of dumb as well. Although I haven't used that improved titan ai perk so I don't know how smart they can be.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:12 PM - 04/03/14 »
thats cool and definitely the future, but currently i have a hard time seeing how some rural guy with 1mbits down can make use out of that on the big scale
« Last Edit: 05:58 PM - 04/03/14 by Od1n »
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #4 on: 04:13 PM - 04/03/14 »
:D

The titans use azure too but they are kind of dumb as well. Although I haven't used that improved titan ai perk so I don't know how smart they can be.

Yeah, by default auto-titans stand around and wait to die.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04:15 PM - 04/03/14 »
I'm not sure how this tech would translate into real applications but if it were to scale the same and let's just say that it does, then I can see why they wanted X1 to be always online. Now that it's a choice we will probably only see this tech in always online games like Titanfall.

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: mynameiscolb
  • PSN ID: mynameiscolb
« Reply #6 on: 06:37 PM - 04/03/14 »
What you guys are forgetting, is that physics like that demo are not necessary to gameplay itself (i.e. player vs player)... but the end result is the same (removal of the particles / building walls). Therefore, if 1 machine shows the results of the physics calculation quicker, or slower (by milliseconds), it's not a game breaking mechanic.

However, from my general (and very basic) understanding of physics calculations in video games... it takes a LOT of processing power for multiple calculations. For example: games that allow you to disable rag doll physics, or other particle physics, due to the load it creates on your CPU (thus, dropping your frame rate);  GPU's that have built in physics processors (i.e. nVidia's PhysX processor).

So the way I see it, graphically.... games are not improving under the cloud. It's not making a scene render faster, by offloading render processes. It's not creating extra anti-aliasing or shading. All latency important calculations must be done on client. But certain AI? Sure. Physics? I could see it in some situations. I wouldn't say ALL physics are offloaded to the cloud (live player physics would be done client side).

But that building was a pretty good example.

In Titanfall, there's a ton of background AI and imagery going on, and I think that's what they are referring to using the cloud (and the dumb bots of course).

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:40 PM - 04/03/14 »
thats cool and definitely the future, but currently i have a hard time seeing how some rural guy with 1mbits down can make use out of that on the big scale

MS is future proofing. In the not so distant future, there will be no rural people with 1 mbits internet. Why do you think Nadella is focusing heavily on breaking into the Indian and Chinese markets in the coming years? It's kind of like a tech frontier where MS can beat Google to the punch with infrastructure. Further expansion of high speed internet access is covered by Moore's Law and the inevitable economic globalization.

Azure as a technology has limitless potential pretty much and fits perfectly into Nadella's focus on mobile and cloud for MS. It is also allowing MS to heavily push SAAS which is something Google is sorely lacking in. Now, I like both companies, I'm just saying MS is doing the smart thing and moving in directions that Google has been neglecting.

I think Facebook plays a lot into this as well with Zuckerberg's idea of five-year drones providing on the fly (hyuk hyuk) WiFi to remote areas.
Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)

Offline Bizzar1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Bizzar1
« Reply #8 on: 07:03 PM - 04/03/14 »
One of the best games I played with semi-intelligent AI was Soldier of Fortune 2. They would pick up on your location by the sound you made, flank, use cover, call for help and teamwork. Very difficult game with some crazy good bots. They need to put those guys in Titanfall heh.
"Surely there must be something you can do."
"I'm doing everything I can... and stop calling me Shirley!"

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
« Reply #9 on: 08:20 PM - 04/03/14 »
Bots in TF aren't supposed to be smart. Just putting that out there.
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #10 on: 02:08 PM - 04/04/14 »
This is basically a Big Data approach to graphics rendering, but done through the cloud.  To be honest, I was a little surprised that Xbox One's architecture was not designed more around modern computing clusters.  Since that seems to be all the rage these days.

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
« Reply #11 on: 02:28 PM - 04/04/14 »
This video is sooooooo BS.

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
« Reply #12 on: 03:37 PM - 04/04/14 »
This video is sooooooo BS.

Explain yourself, troll.
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline Soulo

• MVP
  • Origin: Soulo13
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Soulo13
  • PSN ID: TheRealSoulo
« Reply #13 on: 04:16 PM - 04/04/14 »
Bots in TF aren't supposed to be smart. Just putting that out there.

WHAT THE?!?!  LIES LIES AND MORE LIES!
Community TS3 Server (US Central) - Console and PC Gaming
Server Address: justgame.teamspeak3.com:8670

you're not a hardcore gamer until you snort coke off your mousepad in the middle of a quake duel
Think to yourself "is this something an idiot would post?" ... If the answer to either of those questions is "yes" then you probably shouldn't post it

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01:52 AM - 04/05/14 »
Yeah video is a joke basically. It is not hard to create artificial scenarios that show stuff, the real question is wheter it will be any useful in the real consoles. The PC they used mustve been a fkn Pentium 3  or something like that, when you consider how much destruction is possible in BF4 and its all done offline, no fkn need to offload anything.

I also suspect that the second example where stuff doesnt lag is completely rendered on cloud servers and the stationary PC just shows the stream and nothing else. What theyve shown is basically PhysX but done on the CPU which is a joke to start with, because you cant do real time high quality PhysX over a freaking internet connection. And what if due to heavy internet traffic on your ISP the ping increases? You will have stuttering parts of the building fall down.

Again crap like that isnt even required if they put some decent GPU+CPU inside consoles. If they had a GTX770 in the consoles you wouldnt need any of that Azure cloud computing BS. The true next gen and native 1080p+60fps experience will come with the next console generation. Untill then they will need to do big compromises to reach that goal, like reduce shader quality, level of distance, some effects etc.

Admin