XIM Community

Kotaku: The Fight Over How To Play Ovewatch On Consoles  (Read 16591 times)

Offline Mjölnir

• View Profile
Re: Kotaku: The Fight Over How To Play Ovewatch On Consoles
« Reply #30 on: 07:28 AM - 05/01/17 »
It is and always will be an advantage, especially in competitive / eSports games.

To say it's an advantage means that people using XIM4 are always better than players on controllers. That simply isn't the case. You may be better with a XIM4 compared to using controller, but, that isn't generally true for everyone. Again, this is about what input method suits you best -- nothing more.

I totally agree with ALL you said and I'm really happy you took time to answer Kotaku.

A lot of friends I know in real life are better with controllers than some XIMers, and even a great controller player can be better with a controller even after trying for weeks with MK.

And btw, having a great headset, a SCUF or even a modded controller and other things like that work in the same way but here, nothing to say...

But as always, the fear of the unknown is the mainstream.

Offline Supernatural X

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05:04 PM - 05/01/17 »

But as always, the fear of the unknown is the mainstream.
[/quote]

This is probably the best way to sum up the hate for kb/m users on console.

Offline Lineater

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Pvt_gitsome
« Reply #32 on: 12:20 PM - 06/02/17 »
I'm not going to lie, myself and probably a good 90% of other XIM users purchased the XIM with the intention of exploiting mouse and keyboard capabilities. Only to be somewhat disappointed in the 'limited' console input that you mention... Though, it was almost a relief, and honestly I just loved the excitement of having a different way to play the same games. It feels weird to pick up my controller and play some other games now. As I only use XIM for FPS which I primarily play. But there is a kind of community within XIM and it is kind of a hobby... making your own personalized settings and customizing your game play. It's just more fun! Precision aiming can be easier for me, but it certainly is nothing that will inflate my skill as the dynamics of being a talented gamer transcend into many more factors than simply aiming.

PS tbh I feel that an anologue stick and scuff provide much better movement than a mouse and keyboard. Having unlimited vectors of movement and having the ability to move at a different speed as opposed to a keyboard button on/off is better. The only advantage offered is the precision of a mouse which, as you mention, is limited to the capacity of a controllers input.

necro reply, just wanted to chime in and agree with you about the hobby thing. XIM is like a sub-hobby within a hobby. I grew up playing PC shooters. Destiny was the first online console FPS I got into. Loved the game, but I have never been comfortable playing FPS with controller, going back to Halo 1 on Xbox when I'd get destroyed by my younger brother. XIM enhanced the experience for me. It did improve my gameplay, and just made playing the game more fun overall.  And the community here is great. Friendly and generous with their ideas, curves, settings, etc.  I've played with Ximmers and have found comfortable setups and profiles thanks to them.

Me vs. my brother sums up my thoughts about XIM.  He's about 5 years younger than me.  I grew up playing shooters mostly on PC, he grew up playing Halo and CoD on consoles. XIM makes me better at CoD, but I still can't perform as well as he does with a controller.

Offline FrizzleFry

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09:27 PM - 03/13/18 »
That pretty much mirrors my own experience. I've been playing PC shooters since ...whatever day one was. Throw in some Atari ST/Amiga mouse use before that. That's well over 30 years of muscle memory.

I resisted getting a console as long as I could. I even played the first 2 Halo's on PC. But then in 2006 I moved, got a new job, then discovered some of the guys I worked with had a weekly game night where they got together on the Xbox360 and played L4D, GRAW, and so on. So I bit the bullet and got one.
And immediately discovered that I suuuuuuck with a controller. I couldn't understand why you couldn't just plug in a mouse & kb, why they would limit it like that. Still don't, really. But rather than give up or be frustrated all the time, I found Xim.
We play co-op most of the time, but occasionally when we do play PVP I don't 'kick everyones @#$%', rather the reverse. So if any of you console makers are reading this, you can count me among one of Obsiv's 'people who use it not to be disadvantaged', and know that banning keyboard and mouse would probably result in this 51 year old guy hesitate to ever buy another console.

Also, I am of the opinion that if the controller your opponent uses makes or breaks your game, then you need to work on your tactics. It's definitely my problem in PvP