XIM Community

BF4 and "switchers"  (Read 1293 times)

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
BF4 and "switchers"
« on: 12:24 AM - 03/30/14 »
Ok, I have not, in the past, owned a XIM 3 or Edge, when I do get my XIM4 in the future, it will be my first time actually using an adapter of this nature on a console.

I was reading about switchers in the support forum, with the example of using killstreak turrets in CoD. How does this work out in Battlefield games, especially BF4? Is it necessary to do constant switching based on every non-infantry thing you want to do (boats, choppers, jets, tanks, etc.)?

I know in BF4 on the PC, you can set different in-game sensitivities for different vehicles and mounted guns. If it is like that on console versions, does this mean the smart translator kind of 'plays nice' with these different vehicles, or does it still require the manual switching?

Reason I ask is just because the way I play Battlefield games, I do pretty much equal amounts of infantry combat and jet/chopper piloting and it is not uncommon for me to clear an area in a chopper and then later bail out for infantry mode. The idea of needing to constantly remember to hit an additional button everytime I do this is a little bothersome, but I can adapt to it.

I get the feeling it will not be simple as it is on a PC and that's fine if that is just how it is, I just want to know for sure how this works with a game like BF4, since it has so many different roles outside of basic grunt gunfighting.
Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: BF4 and "switchers"
« Reply #1 on: 12:32 AM - 03/30/14 »
Yes it's sort of like what you described. Games will typically change their look mechanic when changing from the soldier to a turret or vehicle. Since the BF4 ST is trained for the solider look mechanic it may not do well in other aim modes. There could be differences in the deadzone, acceleration, and turn speed.

Each XIM4 config can hold six settings. You can switch to these at any time by either toggle or hold and using any key that you assign. To use these settings effectively you will need to combat the differences between the ST provided and the aiming mode you're using. You will generally use a higher sensitivity, a ballistics curve,  boost, or assign your right stick to keyboard keys depending on what is needed.

Here is an example of what I use in BF4. This sort of setting can be applied to all sorts of scenarios but the values needed for optimal performance will vary.

Good to hear it working well for you. Since you brought up BF4 I thought this is a good chance to share a vehicle tip.

For optimal vehicle performance create a new setting and set an activation key and toggle behavior. Then use a boost of around 3850 for PS4, 3980 for X1.

I'm using this curve

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM4 START Paste >>>
X4MB:000C203754759DC8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8C8
<<< XIM4 END   Paste <<<

and this is what my vehicle setting actually looks like: http://imgur.com/a/NYMoW#1

One more thing. The look mechanic changes between the driver and passenger. So the above is for the driver seat in basically all vehicles, tank, lmv, attack chopper. The passenger seat in those vehicles uses the soldier hip deadzone so you may want a second setting for that if the above settings bother you.

You can also set the right stick to keyboard keys in addition to your mouse for faster turning via your keyboard. This is under the keyboard drop down's advanced menu.

« Last Edit: 12:37 AM - 03/30/14 by mist4fun »
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
Re: BF4 and "switchers"
« Reply #2 on: 01:46 AM - 03/30/14 »
Thank you. It sounds like what may work well for me is to set specific keys for entering specific vehicles, as opposed to trying to do one key for every vehicle while pressing a different button for settings.

Although that may not work. I would hope it does. I am thinking basically like:

- B (I think, maybe it is Y? Have not actually played BF4 on Xbox yet) is enter vehicles
- On my keyboard, have six different keys that will simultaneously correspond to B/Y/whatever, but each with different settings for the sensitivity, deadzone, curve, etc. that you described
- Instead of playing with E for enter vehicle like I do on PC, I could have six different keys for different vehicles, so one key would be for a tank and it would simultaneously trigger the enter vehicle bind and put on the proper settings for the tank
- Actually have E mapped to enter/exit vehicle as well, but with the profile/settings for infantry, so I know to leave any vehicle with E, but to enter specific vehicles with other specific keys

This, to me, sounds like the least painful way of doing things. I am not sure if this type of binding/macroing works with XIM alone though, would I potentially need another device like a Cronus to accomplish this type of setup? I hate to mention a competitor, but it is the only other thing I know of for consoles that is intended for any sort of macroing and advanced binding and stuff.

This is all assuming there is no roadblock in the way of basically having enter/exit vehicle bound to like a bunch of different separate keyboard keys. It sounds like a finger stretching setup, but the gamepad thingy on my Merc Stealth would be pretty solid for this, since it has all 10 number keys kind of crammed into two close rows right above WASD, I'd probably just bind this stuff on the 6 to 0 keys.

Alternatively I suppose I could just pick up the controller for vehicle gameplay, as I find vehicles not nearly as painful to aim with as infantry when using a controller, since you can accomplish a lot with splash damage and getting a direct hit with a main cannon on an enemy tank is a lot simpler than headshotting a guy 100 yards away as fast as possible.

It doesn't sound like things will get too complicated no matter what though, I just like to know what I am getting into before I'm into it.
Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)