XIM Community

Custom PS4 & Xbox One Audio Setup Wiring Diagram  (Read 174841 times)

Offline evm

• View Profile
Re: Custom PS4 & Xbox One Audio Setup Wiring Diagram
« Reply #240 on: 01:31 PM - 01/11/16 »
I want to use an external mic on my XBOX One.  I am connecting my AKG 702 to my XBOX One with an Astro mix amp and a Fiio E9.

So I have the Astro Mix Amp connected to the XBOX One via Optical cable and then from the Astro Mix Amp to the Fiio via the 3.5 mm output of the mixamp to the 3.5mm input of the Fiio E9.  Then I just plug the AKG 702 into the Fiio E9 output.  So how to I add an external mic to this setup?

Thank you very much

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
« Reply #241 on: 01:54 PM - 01/11/16 »
I want to use an external mic on my XBOX One.  I am connecting my AKG 702 to my XBOX One with an Astro mix amp and a Fiio E9.

So I have the Astro Mix Amp connected to the XBOX One via Optical cable and then from the Astro Mix Amp to the Fiio via the 3.5 mm output of the mixamp to the 3.5mm input of the Fiio E9.  Then I just plug the AKG 702 into the Fiio E9 output.  So how to I add an external mic to this setup?

Thank you very much

What kind of mic is it? XLR? USB? 3.5mm? You gotta give us more information so we can help you.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline evm

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 02:29 PM - 01/11/16 »
Just a 3.5mm mic....

Offline Clu

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Clu Rebooted
« Reply #243 on: 10:47 PM - 01/11/16 »
I game on my desk using gaming monitor. I have the Kinect 18 inches from me for chat and plug headset in monitor for game sound. That's my simple setup [emoji12]

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: 11:03 AM - 01/12/16 »
Just a 3.5mm mic....

Your gonna need a splitter for your mic to work. I had the Astro mix, but that was back then when I used it for the 360. The splitter I used was the headset buddy.  If I'm not mistaken the old X1 controller needed the adapter to get a headset to work. That adapter came with a splitter. If you have a splitter you would plug your 3 5mm mic on the mic input on the splitter.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline gotloveforall

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: GotLoveForAll
« Reply #245 on: 10:42 PM - 02/17/16 »
So to use both a mic and headphones I need to spend ~$55.
$10 syba
$45 DSS2

But if I buy any wireless gaming headset this problem just goes away, right?
I own:
XIM4
XIM3 (no, it's not for sale)

Offline Kevlaa

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: kevlaa1982
  • PSN ID: kevlaa1982
« Reply #246 on: 03:44 PM - 02/18/16 »
Hi rezneffix

Could you take a look at my setup please I'm trying to get my mic working I made a post here is the link
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=45319.0 I was even going to buy DSS2 but im sure my sound card can do the job from the specs of it

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: 10:57 AM - 03/12/16 »
Hi rezneffix

Could you take a look at my setup please I'm trying to get my mic working I made a post here is the link
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=45319.0 I was even going to buy DSS2 but im sure my sound card can do the job from the specs of it
Sorry I have not been on here in a while. Were you able to find a solution to your problem?

Offline triplehelix

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: 08:40 PM - 05/30/16 »
hey rezneffix, sorry to necro bump but you were helping me awhile back but i ended up giving up in frustration, but got the symba usb thing and want to try again.

the issue i'm running into is i have the original dss, not the dss2, so i don't have the aux in on the back that you have a wire from the red port on the symba usb running to, i only have the analog in port.  you can see it here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71M+qiG1m+L.jpg

can i make it work with this, or is it a no go?

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: 11:22 PM - 05/30/16 »
hey rezneffix, sorry to necro bump but you were helping me awhile back but i ended up giving up in frustration, but got the symba usb thing and want to try again.

the issue i'm running into is i have the original dss, not the dss2, so i don't have the aux in on the back that you have a wire from the red port on the symba usb running to, i only have the analog in port.  you can see it here:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71M+qiG1m+L.jpg

can i make it work with this, or is it a no go?
Hey there,

Sorry! I am no longer a regular on here. Just too busy with other things. I've sent you a PM and we will get it figured out.

Offline JuanDeage

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: 07:41 PM - 06/07/16 »
So, I have purchased and tried many things to get the perfect setup and I would like to share my thoughts on this subject.

First off, the simplest solution is to get the Sony Silver Headset and immediately throw away the headset because it is one of the worst headsets you will probably ever own. But, take the USB adapter that comes with it and just plug it into the USB port on your PS4 and you can use any 3.5mm headset with this. You will need a Y adapter for separate audio and mic 3.5mm's as this uses a single 4 pole 3.5mm jack with audio and mic combined. This will give you a ton of features, basically anything the Sony Gold's can do this USB adapter can do. Volume control, Side Tone Control (mic monitoring), chat mixing capabilities, and Sony's proprietary 7.1 VSS (which in my opinion is not as good as 7.1 Dolby Surround Headphone), Custom game profiles and all that stuff. Also, the SYBA is terrible and has horrible mic input so you may want to use this instead of the SYBA if you are going to go the DSS2 route.

So, with the DSS2 I found that stereo was fantastic and worked very well but the wires were very convoluted and in this case if you don't care about surround sound simply go for the Sony Silver Headset USB Adapter as the stereo on the Silver Headset adapter is just as good as the DSS2. The problem with the DSS2 is that the surround sound is not very good. It does NOT use Dolby Digital Surround Headphone it uses Turtle Beaches own 4.1 surround system. It doesn't sound very good at all to me compared to Astro MixAmp 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound Headphone you loose a lot of spacial awareness with the DSS2 surround sound as it is only 4.1 instead of 5.1 or 7.1.

Now, I just ordered the DSS1 because it does use true 7.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound Headphone and I do not see why this would not work as some people say in this thread. It has an analog in that does the exact same thing as the AUX port on the DSS2 as far as I know as in the DSS manual it says you can plug a mp3 player into the Analog In port and control the volume with the volume wheel located on the side of the DSS. So with the same setup as the DSS2 wouldn't this work and you would be able to adjust the chat volume with that volume dial when the PS4 settings are set to output the USB sound card as Chat Only to the Analog In?

I would like to hear from anyone else that has the DSS1 or DSS2 and like to use VSS and all that and let me know what you think of the quality of the DSS2 VSS.

And let me know if I have anything wrong here.

I have heard that the new Astro MixAmp Pro TR has serious surround sound issues where it sounds tinny and echoy with a lot of reverb. Someone recorded it and posted this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNF1i2eSwg

Does anyone have the Astro MixAmp Pro TR and can confirm this video or not?

Also, I have a few other questions that maybe someone can answer.

When they say 7.1 VSS on for instance the DSS1 or the 7.1 MixAmp Pro TR is that ONLY on PC? Because when you set the options on the PS4 or Xbox One it only says Dolby Ditital 5.1 so in a sense are they all basically deceiving and only 5.1 surround sound is available on consoles?

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on Turtle Beach's new TAC http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-Controller-Superhuman-playstation-4/dp/B01EM9PMO8 This thing looks pretty cool if you ask me but that price seems a bit outrageous.

It does DTS: Headphone X or something. Has anyone tried DTS:X vs the 7.1 DDH and can compare? Opinions?

Also, I heard that Sound Blaster X7 works with the PS4 and Xbox One WITHOUT chat.

Anyone that has the Sound Blaster X7 can give me a few answers? Does the X7 support the same surround sound features as the MixAmp or DSS1? As in 7.1? And if it doesn't support 7.1 does it support 5.1 to VSS DD? And is it missing anything because it is only 5.1 or what?

I appreciate any input you guys can give! Thanks!

Offline scubaroy

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: royvanarnold
« Reply #251 on: 09:59 PM - 07/27/16 »
Did you end up trying the sony silver usb with your own headset and mic? From what I read on Amazon reviews is the VSS does work with different headsets hooked up, would need a two into one adapter to hook up mic, just cant find any confirmation on if sidetone control would still work.

I have a dss2 hoked it all up as described , was ok but no sidetone on mic which I dont like...
I have the p11's that came with the dss2, it has a box to adjust cat and volume independent, I am tempted to open it up and wire in my own headset and mic and see if it works.

It would eliminate all the extra wires and just plug int the dss2 and just plug in the usb from dss2 to usb of ps4.
Dont know if anyoneone has tried this yet and can chime in on if it would work.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 10:29 PM - 07/27/16 »
I've tried the DSS,DSS2, X7, G5,E5 and a receiver. The winner IMO is the X7, then the E5, and lastly a receiver. The only part I disagree on the X7 is it's price point. Spent $400+ $60 for the USB Bluetooth adapter all just to use on the ps4 for me. That was pretty much a price for another ps4 so I couldn't get passed that idea I payed so much to just use on a PS4 so I returned it. The E5 is just as good as the X7, I ended up returning them . Now I'm using a receiver which I got for dirt cheap and it makes up for the X7 and E5 I returned. If you have the money go for the X7 or E5. If your on a budget,go for a receiver.

Sent from No Land Beyond using Tapatalk
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline scubaroy

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: royvanarnold
« Reply #253 on: 10:42 PM - 07/27/16 »
Sorry, dont know what an "E5" is...I googled it but no help.
You say you are using a receiver, do you mean  a dolby digital amp/receiver like you use for home theater?
I do have a 7.1 home theater system and have hooked up my headphones to them and they sound good, just dont know how to hook up a mic doing that and figure out to balance the levels, thats what is making me look at the sony silver usb mentioned in the post before mine/

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
« Reply #254 on: 04:53 AM - 07/28/16 »
R3mix is correct. The soundblaster x7 is best if you can afford it. I paid 320 usd on mass drop which included the bt dongle for chat. I use this for both ps4 and pc. I haven't used the e5, but I do have the sb x g5  which is a good alternative and what I use for traveling.

I've tried dss1, dss2, and the vss sound fake/unnatural. The soundblaster stuff is so clear. Even if you used stereo, sb sounds better. I would also go the receiver route, which I did for a while.