XIM Community

Custom PS4 & Xbox One Audio Setup Wiring Diagram  (Read 121567 times)

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
Custom PS4 & Xbox One Audio Setup Wiring Diagram
« on: 05:23 PM - 03/26/14 »
Lately a lot of people have posted about how they can have an audio setup without using the controller for chat audio passthrough for the PS4. I know a lot of you guys are already aware of how to overcome this. I decided to give you guys a wiring diagram to help you guys setup your own PS4 custom audio arrangement without needing an expensive headset.

Things you will need
1. Any decent set of headphones (I purchased the superlux hd-681 which I love and they only cost me $30 bucks)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GHIPYI/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2. DSS2 amplifier. I chose this due to it's decent bass output and also the surround sound audio capability.

3. A Syba USB adapter.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS/ref=ox_ya_os_product_refresh_T1

4. A 3.5 mm male to male cable (preferably short). You will use this to pass incoming chat from the syba to the headset through the AUX in of the dss2 amp.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UEAZ84/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5. A decent microphone. I am currently using the Zalman but from what I have heard the modmic is way better so I suggest you guys pick up a modmic if you can afford it.

Now onto the wiring diagram. It is fairly self explanatory. You might be wondering why I am passing the chat audio back into the dss2 through the aux in. Well this way you get the incoming chat audio to get mixed in with the game audio and the sound quality is maintained. You could choose the alternative of having all audio go through the syba from the ps4 chat settings but you lose the amplifier capabilities since the usb is merely an extension of the usb port on the ps4. Anyways if you have questions feel free to ask. I hope this helps other PS4 users who are looking for cheaper alternatives to expensive name brand headsets.

I don't know how to attach a picture so I am going to give you a link below:

Wiring diagram link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l4j66d6d7f1tn51/bVKKjVwJrJ#lh:null-custom_ps4_audio_setup.jpg

« Last Edit: 03:46 PM - 01/05/15 by rezneffix »

Offline GreyMouser

• MVP
  • Mostly PC now until a great exclusive pops up.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/GreyingGamer
Re: Custom PS4 Audio Setup Wiring Diagram
« Reply #1 on: 06:30 PM - 03/26/14 »
Great writeup rez'! I recall publix/yeesh_dale asked how to setup this recently (Gen Discussion section). I didn't know how to answer him as I didn't have a PS4 --  BACK THEN ;).  Hopefully he sees this thread.

I have a similar wiring diagram on my PS3. However, I don't have the Syba thing, just used the chat mixer from a Steelseries Siberia v2. But that has an awful buzz at times, so I might buy the Syba part. Also, I have the DSS1.

Re: looping the m-m 3.5mm cable from back to front of DSS2, I never would have thought of that but if it works then that's great. I'll try it too.
Loadout: kb = Rantopad with Gateron red switches (model RT101-0005); m = g403; PS4 controllers = official; XIM =  XIM4

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:33 PM - 03/26/14 »
Hey Grey! Thanks. I actually have seen people ask about this on multiple threads and I kept thinking why not pull up powerpoint and just put together a diagram really fast. Heck I myself will probably forget about it at some point and will have to look back at this post and be like AH that's what I forgot lol. Anyways, I thought it would be useful since it bypasses the controller and this way people don't have to worry about xim support for chat audio passthrough.

Offline GreyMouser

• MVP
  • Mostly PC now until a great exclusive pops up.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/GreyingGamer
« Reply #3 on: 06:39 PM - 03/26/14 »
I just  bumped the thread in Gen Discussion :)

Also, ANYTHING that makes the XIM do less work is likely appreciated. OBsIV might give you a gold star, lol.

BTW, check your pms. Disappointing news.
Loadout: kb = Rantopad with Gateron red switches (model RT101-0005); m = g403; PS4 controllers = official; XIM =  XIM4

Offline kramer0731

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:14 PM - 03/26/14 »
Thank you for posting this.  Like many others, I have been following the XIM4 development and the only thing I don't like is the no-audio option on the PS4.

I have searched through the other forums but didn't see a clear answer on this.  I do not and have not used a gaming headset for my in-game audio.  All I have ever used is a BT headset (on PS3) and the default mic/chat cable that plugs into the DS4 on PS4.  Gaming with a headset and blocking out all other sound is usually not an option for me, and I wouldn't want to in most cases as I have a 7.1 surround setup that works great.

So, noting this, all I really want is a simple means to chat.  Can I simply use the Syba USB adapter and get a mic/headphone unit and have things work this way?  Again, all I'm looking for here is chat capability, I don't care about mixing/amp/cleanup etc.  As long as folks can hear me (and me them) then I'm good.  I'm assuming I'd need a headset that has a dedicated mic/headphone port but I'd imagine I can find a cheap one rather easily.

Would this work in my scenario?

Offline Marlowe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:30 PM - 03/26/14 »
I use Logitech G430, Perfect working
Please, excuse my English, I'm Chinese

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:16 PM - 03/26/14 »
Great work and so helpful as always rez.
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS4 l XIM: Edge l Gaming Monitor: 24" BenQ RL2450HT prad.de rated 4 of 5 stars (gut!) l Headset: Sony Gold Wireless Headset

My config/setup: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:42 PM - 03/26/14 »
Thank you for posting this.  Like many others, I have been following the XIM4 development and the only thing I don't like is the no-audio option on the PS4.

I have searched through the other forums but didn't see a clear answer on this.  I do not and have not used a gaming headset for my in-game audio.  All I have ever used is a BT headset (on PS3) and the default mic/chat cable that plugs into the DS4 on PS4.  Gaming with a headset and blocking out all other sound is usually not an option for me, and I wouldn't want to in most cases as I have a 7.1 surround setup that works great.

So, noting this, all I really want is a simple means to chat.  Can I simply use the Syba USB adapter and get a mic/headphone unit and have things work this way?  Again, all I'm looking for here is chat capability, I don't care about mixing/amp/cleanup etc.  As long as folks can hear me (and me them) then I'm good.  I'm assuming I'd need a headset that has a dedicated mic/headphone port but I'd imagine I can find a cheap one rather easily.

Would this work in my scenario?

Hey Kramer! If you just don't want all the complexity with the mixing etc and want to avoid having to buy a DSS2 you could use the headset you have (which means headphone/mic combo like a typical turtlebeaches headset) then all you have to do is plug in your mic output into the mic port of the syba and then plug in the headphone input into the headphone port of the syba and then you need to go to settings and set all audio to come through the controller. This way when you speak it will go through the usb and then game audio along with chat audio will also come back through the syba through the headphone output. If you have only one jack with your headset then you need a headset buddy that will separate the two into mic/headphone and then you do the same thing as I just mentioned. If you still have further problems feel free to just post here.

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:43 PM - 03/26/14 »

Thank you sir!

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:50 AM - 03/27/14 »

^ +1

So happy you have figured this out rezneffix!

I have been wanting to buy the DSS for a long time.
But never actually got around to it. Then PS4 came along and i wasn't entirely sure how to get it to work.

Thanks for linking me GreyMouser!
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline sp0t619

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02:56 AM - 03/27/14 »
Thanks for this rez! Now what do you have applied for your ps4 audio settings? Dolby?

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Custom PS4 Audio Setup Wiring Diagram
« Reply #11 on: 03:42 AM - 03/27/14 »
Thanks for this rez! Now what do you have applied for your ps4 audio settings? Dolby?

Yes.

Primary Output---> Digital out (Optical)
Output to Headphones--> chat audio
Audio Format----> Bitstream (Dolby)

Offline The_Procrastinator

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: D3m0n1c_Fo3
« Reply #12 on: 04:15 AM - 03/27/14 »

Sorry if my being nosy offends you, but this doesn't mean like any delays in xim4 or anything terrible in regards to xim4 right? Like so many others I've waited so long and the last thing is a huge further delay, or suddenly its cancelled for whatever reason. Sorry for the paranoia, I just really want a xim4, like hunger games to get the first one type stuff.
TV - 40" 1080p
PC - P870

M   - Razer DA 2013
KB - TT Challenger
PS4

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07:17 AM - 03/27/14 »
nice diagramm :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay
Du sprichst Deutsch? Hier gehts zum deutschen Forum

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Custom PS4 Audio Setup Wiring Diagram
« Reply #14 on: 07:39 AM - 03/27/14 »

Sorry if my being nosy offends you, but this doesn't mean like any delays in xim4 or anything terrible in regards to xim4 right? Like so many others I've waited so long and the last thing is a huge further delay, or suddenly its cancelled for whatever reason. Sorry for the paranoia, I just really want a xim4, like hunger games to get the first one type stuff.

Absolutely not you have nothing to worry about! It's totally unrelated.