XIM Community

Will the XIM4 ever reduce input lag to lower than 8ms?  (Read 40808 times)

Offline Pneumatic

• View Profile
Re: Will the XIM4 ever reduce input lag to lower than 8ms?
« Reply #30 on: 11:40 AM - 03/23/14 »
As one of the 40-year-old gamers on this forum...  I would welcome every ms of improvement.  I have been thinking about upgrading my monitor to one of the 1ms monitors I see out there just to squeeze out as much lag as possible.   :)

Will it kelp?  Probably not, but it will give me one less thing to blame for sucking.
- PS4 - XIM4 - G502 (12k dpi / 500 report rate) - Sony Nav - ASUS MX279H -

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Will the XIM4 ever reduce input lag to lower than 8ms?
« Reply #31 on: 12:49 PM - 03/23/14 »

Guys, just an FYI, processors work as fast as they can all on their own. There's not a magic "make everything faster" button that OBsIV just hasn't pressed. Also, this almost certainly doesn't come down to a question of raw processor power.

That is true until there are no calculation loops like the one that was removed to get to 8ms.
Crusade atm: none

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #32 on: 12:53 PM - 03/23/14 »

Guys, just an FYI, processors work as fast as they can all on their own. There's not a magic "make everything faster" button that OBsIV just hasn't pressed. Also, this almost certainly doesn't come down to a question of raw processor power.

That is true until there are no calculation loops like the one that was removed to get to 8ms.

Right, but then you'd need twice the processor to make your code run twice as fast, assuming we're really now talking about code that runs in linear time or better.

Again, I highly doubt that getting this to be faster comes down to a processor problem.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12:56 PM - 03/23/14 »
I believe he had everything synced up at 125hz on purpose though because that's what Xbox 360 polled at, not because that's the hardware limit of the XIM.  All he has to say is that it's not possible and people won't ask anymore, then maybe surprise us with an update if it is :P

This, OBsIV is clearly busy of late, but i would like to know if this is possible.
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #34 on: 01:53 PM - 03/23/14 »
XIM is special because of the lengths we go to synchronize all your peripherals, console, audio, bluetooth com, etc. so that XIMs clock adjusts for drift of the consoles clock to ensure the passthrough is perfect. Every cycle is accounted for. We will not be destabilizing everything to shave another 4ms off when the benefits are ambiguous.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #35 on: 02:05 PM - 03/23/14 »
and there you have it folks.
soon..

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02:07 PM - 03/23/14 »
Yeah would be hell of a work and high risk. Better things on the list I guess.
Crusade atm: none

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02:21 PM - 03/23/14 »
XIM is special because of the lengths we go to synchronize all your peripherals, console, audio, bluetooth com, etc. so that XIMs clock adjusts for drift of the consoles clock to ensure the passthrough is perfect. Every cycle is accounted for. We will not be destabilizing everything to shave another 4ms off when the benefits are ambiguous.

I have no idea how coding or basically anything to do with how the software works alongside the hardware in the XIM.
So i ask you to forgive my stupidity on the matter!

But how hard would it be in future iterations of the XIM to have the software function in a way that things like this can be tweaked?
I mean you can say it's ambiguous to try and half the current input delay, but every single element of PC gaming is based on the pursuit of more speed and less lag, less input lag! less server lag less monitor lag! less peripheral lag!

In an idea world! everything would poll at 1000HZ everything would have a sub 1ms response time!
I mean i understand now that its locked! But is this not also a future goal of the XIM?
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Offline 3MIX_Edge

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02:24 PM - 03/23/14 »

So in a nutshell you can't ever lower the input lag from the XIM to less than 8ms with everything the XIM already does?

Also that 8ms from the XIM is an addition to the controllers 8ms on the XB1 and the 4ms from the PS4 and whatever people's TV's and monitors are, is that correct?
Be humble

Offline wintersxxx868

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wintersxxx868
  • PSN ID: Wintersx866
« Reply #39 on: 02:48 PM - 03/23/14 »
3MIX_Edge, the input lag if you think about it this way will be a constant variable for your monitor.  Technically the amount of lag you'll experience will never be any higher than 16 ms if you're running on a 60 Hz monitor or 8 ms if you're running a 120 hz monitor. 

The average human eye can't really detect anything past 60 frames per second.  Now what the human eye can detect is lets say you're running at 60 fps but then it drops down to ohh, 47 fps, that will be a visual obscurity.  You're more likely to sense the PS4's or Xbone's frame rate drops than to feel that minimum 8 ms lag from Xim4. 

Will Xim4 add a tiny bit of lag, sure but is it going to be significant? Probably not especially with, if I understood correctly according to Obsiv, the Xim4's polling drift system which will feed info exactly at the right time when the system wants an input.

Offline 3MIX_Edge

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02:56 PM - 03/23/14 »
Well whatever it is, I'm noticing a benefit when I now play COD Ghosts on the PC as opposed to the XB1, same mouse and keyboard, same monitor and yet I can notice a benefit and I'm even winning more up close guns fights that I ust cannot win on the XB1.

I don't have Ghosts on PS4 so cannot tell.

It is what it is, 16ms+ is too much input lag, especially for a rusher like me. I may just go exclusive titles for consoles and get the FPS titles on PC.
Be humble

Offline wintersxxx868

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03:04 PM - 03/23/14 »
Well whatever it is, I'm noticing a benefit when I now play COD Ghosts on the PC as opposed to the XB1, same mouse and keyboard, same monitor and yet I can notice a benefit and I'm even winning more up close guns fights that I ust cannot win on the XB1.

I don't have Ghosts on PS4 so cannot tell.

It is what it is, 16ms+ is too much input lag, especially for a rusher like me. I may just go exclusive titles for consoles and get the FPS titles on PC.
Trust me I know what you mean and its the same feeling I get out of BF4.  Its just like a few hairs quicker and it does give off a different feeling.  The thing also that could be affecting it might be just the fact that PCs can poll at 1000 hz just because they can handle mouse drivers very well (duh its native LOL) and also PCs are generally more powerful than the either the Xbox One and PS4. 

Just out of curiosity, whats your monitor Hz rating?

Offline 3MIX_Edge

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03:09 PM - 03/23/14 »
Just 60Hz.

I play PC and consoles on the same monitor.
Be humble

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #43 on: 03:14 PM - 03/23/14 »
i think your xbone is to blame and not the XIM really.. i know the game is more or less stable but i'm betting your PC is taking walks in the park with it. those fps drops and instability will mess you up.

also bear in mind you are not using the same look mechanic on both versions of the game. PC version's a clean pure mechanic where your mouse and OS and the ones dictating how you move. on console however there is a lot the game is doing to the movement that the XIM is then undoing within limitations.. it's not fair to compare really, the simple fact we *can* compare in a meaningful way is just a testament of how good the XIM really is...
soon..

Offline wintersxxx868

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03:16 PM - 03/23/14 »
Ahhhh well hmm 60 hz should run fine on Xbox One since its preset max is just 60 fps for COD ghosts... You might actually be experiencing more console lag than the lag put out by Xim4E.  I know for a fact (my xbone does this too) frame rate on xbox one just is kinda floaty meaning at one point it might be blazing at 60 fps and then it'll just drop to like 29 fps... Your PC might be fairing better by staying up in the mid to low 50s even. 

Here's a test to see if its truly Xim4E's lag that you're feeling.  Take a game of COD Ghosts on PC and set your mouse's polling rate to 60 hz (if possible) or some polling rate around this area.  If you feel a significant difference in your gaming, you my friend might have the eyes of a hawk lol and you're probably more sensitive to lag more than other people.

I also agree with AK in terms of the look mechanics post

Admin