XIM Community

Password Security/Management Application  (Read 4978 times)

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Password Security/Management Application
« Reply #15 on: 07:37 AM - 03/19/14 »
so here is the solution i found most useful as it has a lot of features and apps for phones and different web browsers...

https://lastpass.com/

also, using something like this can assist you as well

password = ISYOTDSOTM = I see you on the dark side of the moon
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #16 on: 12:07 PM - 03/19/14 »
so here is the solution i found most useful as it has a lot of features and apps for phones and different web browsers...

https://lastpass.com/

also, using something like this can assist you as well

password = ISYOTDSOTM = I see you on the dark side of the moon

this was the only tool i was thinking of using other than 1password... didn't see anything negative

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
« Reply #17 on: 12:20 PM - 03/19/14 »
Bionic, here's your password:

I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05:11 PM - 03/19/14 »

can i get the link? want to make people cry that are family.

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06:39 PM - 03/19/14 »
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
Password Security/Management Application
« Reply #20 on: 06:44 PM - 03/19/14 »

His user name would take a year though so he should swap them
That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07:08 AM - 03/20/14 »

first off that was a simple example broski. and that is a neat little tool...but im going to go ahead and say.. that website is bogus and provides bogus times. as as a 7 character varied between letters and numbers and special characters will take 22 seconds...  = BS

secondly, every time you post @#$% like that to me... all i hear is the sound of a basketball going through a hoop and that sound is (douche)

sorry everyone for the temp derailment.
« Last Edit: 07:15 AM - 03/20/14 by BionicTbag »

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: mynameiscolb
  • PSN ID: mynameiscolb
« Reply #22 on: 07:52 AM - 03/20/14 »
Actually it's "swoosh".

Tomato / to-mah-to

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #23 on: 07:55 AM - 03/20/14 »

Seriously though... take it easy fellers.

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09:28 AM - 03/20/14 »

first off that was a simple example broski. and that is a neat little tool...but im going to go ahead and say.. that website is bogus and provides bogus times. as as a 7 character varied between letters and numbers and special characters will take 22 seconds...  = BS

secondly, every time you post @#$% like that to me... all i hear is the sound of a basketball going through a hoop and that sound is (douche)

sorry everyone for the temp derailment.

/sigh

I said the site was fun (source) and certainly not any gold standard (source). -1 for reading comprehension.

When I used your password I said "Bionic, here is your password", and then provided a screenshot. There was nothing aggressive, insinuating, implied, hinted, mean spirited, or otherwise, in the post. -1 for poor inference.

As to the site itself, a 7 character password with letters (assuming both lower and upper case), numbers, and special characters would take ... an hour. Not sure where you got 22 seconds. Each time you add a variation in character selection (upper, lower, number, special, or punctuation) it increases the possible combinations. It's working off of a few assumptions, yes, but generally speaking the math is solid. -1 for website usage.

!2qwerT                  = 1 hour (7 characters, 77 character combinations)
qwertyuiopas           = 276 days (12 characters, 26 character combinations)
qwertyui!2               = 344 days (10 characters, 51 character combinations)
Qwerty!2[               = 5 years  (9 characters, 96 character combinations)
Amorecomplexkey!2] = 3 quintillion years (18 characters, 96 character combinations)

If one were truly concerned about security, one would have more than just a well thought password/phrase, one would include two-step verification, ensure password hashes were salted, use biometrics, and so on. If you take most passwords today and throw a rainbow table at them, they will take very little time to crack. We aren't super worried about that, of course. Since the likelihood that anyone of us will be focused for a brute force is low. And if you are focused in a brute force attack, having a semi-decent password goes a long way. That website is a good tool in getting there.

Now, as to this hostile little spat of passive aggressiveness - put your big boy pants on.

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10:26 AM - 03/20/14 »
so anyway... last pass is IMO a great tool, lost of good tools around :) nawateyemeanz

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02:48 PM - 03/20/14 »

Actually it isn't that far off...

Here's how it works...
1. They are assuming you have the password hash (not brute forcing a website/app/client/etc)
2. They are assuming likely GPU hashing (1000 cores running math = extremely fast)
3. They are using some other password cracking assumptions (try words first, try words with numbers second)

I can provide you with some real password cracking sites that take a password hash in and give you the resulting password.  They are normally 4 GPU clustered using CUDA to crack the password, this is how modern WPA cracking is done.

Other than it missing:
password123
« Last Edit: 02:53 PM - 03/20/14 by abc123 »

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02:56 PM - 03/20/14 »
so anyway... last pass is IMO a great tool, lost of good tools around :) nawateyemeanz

I tried it out. Then they got hacked that one time and i just started using keypass
That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03:52 PM - 03/20/14 »
https://xato.net/passwords/should-you-ditch-lastpass/#.UytirK1dWKo

was a good read, glad i paid for 1password still loving it.

Offline Incognito

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10:33 PM - 04/04/14 »
Late to the party here.  I've been using LastPass for about four years with no issues.  As far as LastPass getting hacked, all that was *potentially* stolen were hashes of passwords which does the "hackers" no good.  Everything is encrypted on your PC before it is sent to the LastPass servers so unless your LastPass master password is weak the attackers can't do anything with your password hash.  Even if they had stolen the encrypted data it still wouldn't do them any good.  Finally, it was never confirmed that they were even hacked - LastPass devs just noticed an abnormal traffic spike that suggested it was possible someone could have stolen password hashes and alerted everyone that it might be a good idea to change your master password.

I use KeePass as an offline backup in the (very) unlikely case that LastPass shuts down.  I've been using KeePass for about ten years and it's top notch software and I highly recommend it.