XIM Community

xim4 price?  (Read 33560 times)

Offline Orson

• View Profile
Re: xim4 price?
« Reply #195 on: 04:44 PM - 04/10/14 »
STs aren't patches.

The XIM is not guaranteed to work with any game.

If you actually bother to read various posts in the forum you'll discover that requests for official STs are encouraged and have the promise of timely releases to back it up.

He says, with 38 posts to his name, to the guy who's been active on the forums for years.

If you'd actually done your research you'd notice that you are addressing someone who's also been registered here for years. I see a pattern emerging here. Let's all hate on people with less than a few hundered posts because their observations are most obviously much less valid than the conjecture of post volume veterans, surely?

Offline bluemanemt2

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 04:47 PM - 04/10/14 »
Lets explore the word Peter uses every post: Compatible.    XIM is advertised as being compatible with your console of choice, allowing you to use the chosen mouse and keyboard.   It isnt advertised as a 1:1 adapter for every game made.   The STs are the feature that makes the XIM stand out.  Notice that word (feature).  So in my opinion the STs are like DLC.  I could care less if Obsiv charged a buck or two or not.  Fact is at the extreme end of STs, you may have to purchase 5 a year.   Wasnt going to post but just got tired of people acting like it is advertised as a video game adapter and not a m/kb adapter.   Carry on.

M/KB ADAPTER

We have a breakthrough. Seriously why didn't any of us think of this absolute truth. It is a m/kb adapter. Wow I just got that feeling when your day is complete. Thankyou fade for clearing that up.

And with that I believe its time to lock all threads until release date ;D

Offline bf4onps4

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 04:53 PM - 04/10/14 »
I'm pretty sure you don't understand the amount of time, money, and effort that goes into making a translator.

Can someone please explain to me what an st is and maybe I would have a different opinion.

Offline bf4onps4

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 04:58 PM - 04/10/14 »
Funny other manufacturers of hardware don't try to charge extra for software updates and absorb the cost and calculate it in the costs. ST's are PATCHES  for insuring compatibility of all games. The XIM is sold as being as software compatible as possible. When i buy a piece of hardware its the manufacturers job to provide such support without having to charge extra for updates. Without the ST's the xim can't do its core job as well as advertised.

How about we keep the free st's as charging for them is patently ridiculous. They are patches profiles whatever u wanna call them to ensure compatibility since the product is pretty much advertising it as its selling point and nowhere is there mentions of limited compatibility and charging extra for specific game support in the way of these profiles

OBSIV charge a decent price of 100-150. We all end up happy and satisfied and no more talk of charging for updates/ST's. The rest of you can start up a fund since you guys have so much free cash to throw around. Start charging for hardware skins and other b.s whatever floats your boat.

If it is what i think it is then how much time will it take to make this compatible with cod and bf? I am sure they are building it to be compatible and they dont have to do anything for the current ones. Now, the engine for bf is always the same and how different is one cod to the next?

Who wants to play single player games with this thing? That would be like ruining the game. If gta is on-line then it makes sense to do it for that game as well as titanfall. The truth is there arent many multi-player fps games for ps4 and they dont change much from one installment to the next. Cod ghosts is just mw2 with new guns.

Offline bf4onps4

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 05:03 PM - 04/10/14 »
Why do you even have to equate it to something else? If google or apple did it you be fine with it?

We are not. You should be asking the guys who tried to make the terrible mp3 player comparison. It is wrong on so many levels.

Offline Orson

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 05:12 PM - 04/10/14 »
I'm pretty sure you don't understand the amount of time, money, and effort that goes into making a translator.

Can someone please explain to me what an st is and maybe I would have a different opinion.

An ST is a precise XIM calibration designed for each game.  Every game has a different movement and look mechanic which is derived from the physical and electronic limitations of the thumb sticks and programmed limitations of the game.  Without a dedicated ST for each game, the XIM hardware cannot produce a 1:1 mouse movement input to the game running on the console.  This makes people using generic configurations or older dumb translators say things like "it feels floaty" or "jerky" or even "fairly unresponsive and jittery".

Each game has different look and movement mechanics which are programmed to respond to the thumbsticks.  The ST compensates for a number of variables relating to just the thumb sticks but also has the popular keyboard buttons mapped to the relevant controller buttons for convenience and to provide a plug and play experience. One can edit these to create custom profiles and use different buttons on the chosen control device.

The Smart Translator deals with the following variables and combinaions thereof to provide 1:1 mouse translation:

Thum stick dead zone size and shape

Speed relative to thumbstick position from dead zone

Acceleration over time relative to thumb stick position from dead zone

ADS / Hip Fire (zoom and sensitivity)

All games have different calibrations for every one of these thumbstick variables and correctly calibrated XIM STs are required to compensate for every thumbstick variance in each game.

Smart Translator = game specific XIM factory calibration
« Last Edit: 05:36 PM - 04/10/14 by Orson »

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 10:50 PM - 04/10/14 »

Even comparing the two the way you did shows the amount of fanboyism on this forum and i get that you guys think it is the best. It probably will be. But the point is there are new guys like me, casual gamers, who the devs are trying to get to buy their product. We are the target market. And we do not want to pay more than $125 to try out a piece of hardware like this. The devs know that they will sell the most if they price it at 99. I am sure they know this from previous models. You price to sell.

That's cute. But get over yourself, you are not the target market. The casual gamer doesn't bother to get a mouse and keyboard adapter. You can just go play PC, for which most FPS games are ported over, or you stick to the controller because you don't give a @#$% about KD, you're just on to dick around and have fun with friends.

And I don't care what you say, Obsiv can price this stuff at 200 bucks and you will still be crawling on all fours begging for priority shipping. Mind you, he's too nice to do or say these things, but that's the reality. There's no real competition, it is an incredibly high demand product, and I would assume I'm not off based in saying that the XIM3 sold alright, even when it was priced at ..what was it, 300 or something crazy?

I'm not saying paying for ST's is the way to go or maximize profits or anything. I'm just saying they would be justified to charge for them considering they are doing work for years to come on it. And if the XIM 4 really is just 100-125, that's a bargain.

No, i would never spend more than 140 for it with tax and shipping, you sound like an @#$%. 200 is half the cost of the console. I would rather build a new gaming rig if i wanted to play mouse and kb. Not everyone is as desperate as you. Just admit the mp3 player comparison sounds like something a crackhead would have said.

There are only 2 games you can use this thing on (bf4 and cod) and everyone either buys 1 or the other. Frankly, i am getting tired of bf and could not justify anywhere near what you are suggesting. I rented ghosts and it is most def the worst cod since mw2.

And yes, there are many casual pc gamers who went with a next gen console this generation who want to try playing with a mouse and kb. We are tired of the lack of support the pc has received from mainstream devs. No gta, no titanfall, hack infested fps games like cs and cod. No thanks. Just look at all the attention this thing has received prior to release.

Ugh you're such a little *****. Have you actually used a XIM3? or 2 for that matter? People paid quite a bit for it back in the day, and no one complained when they received it. And that was before ST's. Why? Because it was worth every penny. You're talking sht without having even experienceing the @#$% products, am I right? Why the hell would you know what it's worth?

And just seeing you write about only 2 games to use it on....LOL @#$% are you on? When the original XIM, XIM2, and 3 and edge were released, there was a nice list of games to play, as well as a nice list of ST's made. You're telling me only COD and BF for the life of your next gen console? LOL You just listed GTA and TF....and boy in the next 7-10 years, what else you think will come out? And you believe the device ain't worth it?

Please, get over yourself hard. 100 -125 is the bargain of your life, anything more is still worth it. But you don't know because you pull out "i only play 2 games ever in my life" scenarios from your ***. Trust me, this is far from fanboyism. Everyone here from XIM3 days or before will agree with me that 100-125 is a bargain. They may not agree with paying for ST's but they will definitely vouch for the worth of the device, ST's, and support.

Offline bluemanemt2

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 11:37 PM - 04/10/14 »
*Drops mic* BOOM (Exit stage left)

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #203 on: 12:02 PM - 04/12/14 »
Ugh you're such a little *****. Have you actually used a XIM3? or 2 for that matter? People paid quite a bit for it back in the day, and no one complained when they received it.
wrong. massive complains from international users because the added tax and customs made the device quite expensive. for instance 250 more or less from me, PLUS the 360 wired controller,blabla. also, lot's of people very happy with their XIM3 were not so keen about price but in a land with no water when you find someone charging 50 per Liter instead of 10 cents you feel happy because you get to drink.

however confusing material and real value with sentimental or subjective value is very naive. XIM Edge had a big sentimental value for me since it let me play PS3 shooters in a satisfying way but it's value is limited by the components it had and the investment made by its creators in R&D,Software and updates. period.
a 1000 XIM Edge is not only overpriced it's ridiculous. however for me the XIM is the only way for me to play a big list of games so i could value it the same as the price of a proper PC since the PC also is what let's me play a big list of games.

XIM4's components are close to XIM Edge's plus BT, and are being produced in larger quantities which lower price, so the cost of the device is around the same as the Edge, rest is OBsIV cut to deal with everything else. i really wish all the good in the world for OBsIV and i'd be interested in supporting him more monetarily but not by paying more than what should be XIM4's rightful, fair, price.

And that was before ST's. Why? Because it was worth every penny. You're talking sht without having even experienceing the @#$% products, am I right? Why the hell would you know what it's worth?
XIM3 had STs so you are wrong  :P
XIM Edge has no standards, should have a price cut then. because i really really value standards since they let me play games that i can't with STs only. i would gladly pay more than what XIM4 costs if OBsIV let us use standard translators, because ST's can't cover all games and using a different game's ST doesn't work in some cases.

Everyone here from XIM3 days or before will agree with me that 100-125 is a bargain. They may not agree with paying for ST's but they will definitely vouch for the worth of the device, ST's, and support.

for it to be everyone you need to get people like me to agree, among others, you really are so confident? ahahah  :P but seriously, i think price is ok but not a bargain. for it to be a bargain the price had to be lower than what i expect this device to be valued - objective value not sentimental. maybe it would be a bargain for me if i didn't have to fund shipping,customs and taxes..
soon..

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 05:59 PM - 04/12/14 »
But isn't a bargain even from an objective point of view? you are receiving the best M/K adapter out there, ST's for what will basically be the life of the console, convenience of the app, etc. Add in cost of hardware production, R&D, and support, and I believe honestly it's an amazing bargain.

But you I can debate with civilly about it. Just irritating when someone who has never experienced any XIM before tries to tell me what the device is worth.

That being said, obviously $1000 is ridiculous for a XIM. I'm not saying it's worth the moon.