XIM Community

Online editor and viewer for ballistics curves  (Read 57041 times)

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Online editor and viewer for ballistics curves
« Reply #30 on: 07:43 AM - 02/28/14 »
@roads, what game was that curve for?

are you using it?  can you post the "code" for your curve here?
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07:53 AM - 02/28/14 »
None specially. Its too steep as it is.
Crusade atm: none

Offline MuKen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04:33 PM - 02/28/14 »
Insert after a linear curve quite demolishes the curve. The part I dont click should not be moved?

Ah ok I think maybe I haven't thoroughly explained how the visual editting works.  It works based on what I'll call "key points", points that the curve will aim to pass through.  When you first load it up, it will only have two key points: 0,0 and 20,100.  In insert mode, every time you click somewhere it will add another key point.  The app will then automatically adjust all the other non-key points so they form a straight line starting from the first keypoint (0,0), and going to the next key point.  This will continue from key point to key point all the way until the last one at (20,100).

So if you start at the beginning (with only 2 keypoints) and click somewhere in the upper half (so there are now 3), the line will go straight from the lower left corner to where you clicked, then bend and go straight to the upper right corner.

In delete mode, every time you click somewhere, it will find the nearest key point and remove it.  So that means where there used to be a bend before the previous key point and the next key point, all the points between those two will be smoothed into a straight line.

In move mode, every time you click somewhere, it will find the nearest key point and move it to where you clicked.

In curve mode, when you click BETWEEN two key points, it will add a curvature to the previously straight line between those points and try to calculate the curve to get as close to where you clicked as it can.

So basically, you are not supposed to click all the points to where you want them.  Instead choose a couple key points outlining where you want the curve to go, and add them in insert mode.  Then use curve mode to smooth out the segments in between as you like.
« Last Edit: 04:40 PM - 02/28/14 by MuKen »

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11:27 PM - 02/28/14 »
Muken an input method that needs an explanation like this and the user not knowing the keypoints is not good. Its really just about drawing a curve. It is harder than one thinks and that why there is Bezier. Id go with the insert where you can move around each point. The exponential is nice but will thow off the user once he wants to adjust it.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #34 on: 10:30 AM - 03/03/14 »
only now got around to looking into this, so neat
soon..

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11:29 AM - 03/03/14 »
Yeah but we need a better input in the App. We now have live edit with a horror input method. Each time I start to make a curve on the android I stop after two minutes saying dafug is this LOL.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #36 on: 11:57 AM - 03/03/14 »
Yeah but we need a better input in the App. We now have live edit with a horror input method. Each time I start to make a curve on the android I stop after two minutes saying dafug is this LOL.

Agreed, drawing the curve with your finger might be better and then having the current system to find tune it.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10:55 PM - 03/03/14 »
I just messed around with this for the fist time.  MuKen, this is brilliant, nice work!

if you have a pc, it's super easy to paste it into the XIM app.  it literally took me seconds to make a curve and paste it into a profile.   Haven't tried it on my android tablet yet tho.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10:39 AM - 03/04/14 »
No you cant android this on the phone. A tablet could work better.

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11:47 AM - 03/04/14 »
should also have a "library" of curves.

suggestion: create a log in: need help ask me!
per user: gets to save and edit old curves....  and this would also be helpful lets say if I wanted to grab teh latest "roads COD Ghosts" curve.. that he just created.

or how about a share button? to email it to yourself or others? - need help just ask.
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 01:25 PM - 03/04/14 »
well, you can always share your curves in the Ballistics curve thread, and paste the data in there.  There is already quite a library of curves on the forum.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01:37 PM - 03/04/14 »
The goal of having the XIM GUI on a powerful phone is live editing. You want to try out the curves fast like you change gears in a car. The input method right now prohobits it. A copy paste from the website would also. To Ballistic newbies it would be nice to *quickly* test the different curves and see how they react ingame. 

Offline MuKen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09:57 PM - 03/04/14 »
Sorry for the delay, been busy last few days.

I think it's still a matter of me not fully conveying how the editor works.  Even with the keypoint system, you can still edit point by point, if you just click all the points in to place they will all be keypoints and thus move independently.  If you are getting behavior other than that, then that means you haven't clicked all the points (which wouldn't make a sensible curve in free-editting mode either).  So this system does everything a point-by-point system would as well.

Conversely, you can do it with a few keypoints and curve manipulation like was intended.  This is no harder than what you'd have to do if you were using bezier curves: you have to set the start and end points, then click somewhere in between in a way that shapes the curves.

It's probably difficult to get because I didn't show the keypoints, so I've added a couple new functions:
1) a checkbox that toggles marking the keypoints in red to make it easier to understand what is going on
2) a button that sets all keypoints (basically goes into point-by-point editing mode like you were asking for)

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #43 on: 10:42 PM - 03/04/14 »
should also have a "library" of curves.

suggestion: create a log in: need help ask me!
per user: gets to save and edit old curves....  and this would also be helpful lets say if I wanted to grab teh latest "roads COD Ghosts" curve.. that he just created.

or how about a share button? to email it to yourself or others? - need help just ask.

this belongs in the XIM app not in this simple web page, because it's currently hosted on Google host no DB no  backend code.  obviously a service could be written and allow OAuth for login to allow a simple frontend to handle this type of this but i honestly don't think that's what should happen.

I would prefer:
1. XIM OpenID Provider
2. Allow certain apps to consume it

3. this would allow for a site like muken's to save your profiles to XIM's Database.
4. Login to XIM App
5. Load Saved ballistic curves from (Your curves or from "shared" curves
6. Curves should show up on a vote based system with comments.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10:52 PM - 03/04/14 »
this belongs in the XIM app

+1 I really hope Obsiv addresses the Ballistics once the XIM4 is out. The App so much can not handle this feature right now.