XIM Community

Twitch Streaming Coming to Xbox One Alongside Titanfall Launch  (Read 1119 times)

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/twitch-live-game-broadcasting-coming-xbox-22660523

---

Xbox One will soon be Twitchier than the PlayStation 4.

The popular video game broadcasting service Twitch is bringing a slew of fresh features to Microsoft's newest console. An update next month will add the ability to live stream video games, join in on games with broadcasters, initiate game broadcasts with voice commands, archive game clips and watch Twitch streams broadcast from any device, including the PS4.

Previously, Xbox One users could only spectate Twitch streams and record game clips with the system's Upload app.

"It's complete integration," said Emmett Shear, co-founder and CEO of Twitch. "It's exciting because we've never had the ability to broadcast from a console like this with such a deep level of integration. The concept of being able to join a broadcasters' party is really cool, and it's another step in the direction of interacting more closely with broadcasters."

The updated Twitch app will also include Twitch's chat features and the ability for users to broadcast from their living rooms with Xbox One's camera-based Kinect system. It's scheduled to launch alongside the March 11 debut of "Titanfall," the much-anticipated man-versus-machine shooter being released exclusively for Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC.

It's good news for Xbox One players, but what took so long?

The update is coming months after Microsoft Corp. rival Sony Corp. included Twitch streaming capabilities when it launched its PlayStation 4 ahead of the Xbox One last November. However, the PS4 version of Twitch which Shear noted was crafted by Sony, not Twitch only permits PS4 users to spectate other PS4s and doesn't allow them to easily connect.

"That's a very certain type of experience," said Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's vice president of marketing and strategy for Xbox. "For us, we thought that was too limiting for what our fans would want. Our fans really want the full next-gen service, so that's why we decided to take our time, do it right and have it come out in this fashion."

Twitch, which features one million live broadcasters and 45 million viewers a month, has become an ESPN for gamers. The service's live and recorded broadcasts include such content as comically narrated clips of games, matches from seasoned e-sports athletes, "speed runs" clips of players plowing through games and streams of everyday gamers playing online.

"This will open up the social aspect of Xbox One in a new way," Mehdi said. "The community of Twitch is huge, and this allows us to type into that, and frankly do something that's never been done before on consoles. You'll be able to broadcast to any device and consume anyone's broadcast from any device. It's a console experience unique to the Xbox One."

Microsoft and Sony have both billed their latest consoles as more social and interactive machines with no technological barriers to sharing live game footage because the PS4 and Xbox One, which respectively sold 4.2 and 3 million units worldwide last year, don't require additional technology like video capture hardware to stream content. It's built in.

Twitch said last month that 20 percent of its broadcasts between Dec. 23 and Jan. 3 were from PS4 owners and that more than 1.7 million streams have been broadcast through PS4 since the console's Nov. 15 launch. Shear said he hopes the new capabilities of Twitch's app Xbox One will eventually come to other devices, including the PS4.

---

Sounds good to me. Nice for people to be able to stream without having to buy a capture card and other equipment. And because Xbox One has the Kinect, people can broadcast themselves using that instead of having to use an additional webcam. Pretty cool.

I wonder how the stream quality will compare to PS4's quality which isn't that great.
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile
Good news. Now we just need dolby and NHL 15 and this console generation will be set.

Offline Phantom Machine

• View Profile
That's pretty sweet. Not that anyone would want to watch me play video games, but at least the option will be there.

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
Good news. Now we just need dolby and NHL 15 and this console generation will be set.

Yeah, Dolby should be on their high priority list IMO... that is one of the features I want most at the moment.
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xaanit

This...Ive Played Every NHL game since release...always a goalie or a defenseman.

I hope they fix goalies this year however..playing one in NHL10 was great..then 11 + they just hosed them. It hard enough as is without crappy mechanics / delay.

Anyways...yeah I am looking forward to this. I played with the VHL every year...was top ranked goalie and fourth ranked defenseman in the league :)

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
I will be hooking up my Kinect again tonight. I'm new to Twitch and I know a lot of people like seeing your face when you play. Makes it more entertaining I guess.

Hopefully the Xbox One has all the features the PS4 does on top of all the extra stuff they add for the XB1. I like being able to commentate just by talking into my modmic. Made for an interesting session of Outlast last night. Haha
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
lets hope that this will show just how "good" it is to have the connect in the box.

as it seems you will be able to overlay yourself via kinect onto your stream
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
Its not clear wheather the video of you from the Kinect will overlay on your full screen game or will just be snapped to the side of your screen making the game screen smaller. I hope not.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile

This...Ive Played Every NHL game since release...always a goalie or a defenseman.

I hope they fix goalies this year however..playing one in NHL10 was great..then 11 + they just hosed them. It hard enough as is without crappy mechanics / delay.

Anyways...yeah I am looking forward to this. I played with the VHL every year...was top ranked goalie and fourth ranked defenseman in the league :)
Ya goalie controls need an overhaul, they get the shaft. And you played with the gamertag xaanit? Maybe you were top of the CHL..

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
The Twitch streaming wasn't include in the March update. It was the first thing I looked for when my Xbox was done updating. Guess a separate app Twitch update will bring us all those new features on March 11th.

Offline i like reading

• By Aslan's Might!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: i like reading
this twitch thing will just make it so every pub kid thinks he is cool for streaming 24/7 matches of him going 7-3 in a corner.

Offline gahagafaka

• MVP
  • The Avian Floo
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: The Worst Ever
  • PSN ID: crack_monk
this twitch thing will just make it so every pub kid thinks he is cool for streaming 24/7 matches of him going 7-3 in a corner.

its going to suck getting into streaming now, thats for sure :/
Lion tamer, Goat slayer, Bird brains, Narnian

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
I think the next idea to try for streaming would be a "panel" commentary. Much like latenight shows and other (Ridiculousness etc) play off of others on-screen, having that party-feel of friends ribbing each other while they play helps keep things moving.

As it is, most commentary is either a single star trying to fill the void with his own thoughts and jokes, or watching a single guy's view while he talks with his party - a distinctly outside-looking-in feel.

I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
The most fun I've had streaming was when I did Dead Space 3 with PositivEntropy.  We did a skype call and dual face cams.  People got to see and hear him, hear our conversation, and see his facial reactions.  Great fun.  I'd love to do it again.

Anybody up for DS3?

Offline GreyMouser

• MVP
  • Mostly PC now until a great exclusive pops up.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/GreyingGamer
I think the next idea to try for streaming would be a "panel" commentary. Much like latenight shows and other (Ridiculousness etc) play off of others on-screen, having that party-feel of friends ribbing each other while they play helps keep things moving.

Rook has a good point. I was a lurker watching one of Beezles' streams with some EWIX guys. They did multi-cams over Google+, I think. Some good laughs there.

Personally, I don't care if there's a webcam shot there or not. Most of the times, the caster's just locked into the game screen making weird faces (jaw flexes, brow furrowing, etc). As long as the caster is verbally interacting with the audience, that's enough for me, imo.
Loadout: kb = Rantopad with Gateron red switches (model RT101-0005); m = g403; PS4 controllers = official; XIM =  XIM4

Admin