XIM Community

xb1 kinect with pc monitor?  (Read 774 times)

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
xb1 kinect with pc monitor?
« on: 12:44 AM - 02/24/14 »
Question for people who own the x1 and using your average size pc monitor...around 24" or so.
Where do you place the kinect (if you use it at all)?

I'm waiting till March to buy the x1 along with Titanfall, but I was wondering if the kinect would be a bit too heavy sitting on top of the monitor...or if it can mount there at all. And then since I'm gaming with the XIM (and XIM4 hopefully in the near future), my face is like 2 ft away from the monitor...is that too close for the kinect sensors?

Offline Sif Noob

• MVP
  • As If!!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel!
  • Gamertag: sif noob
  • PSN ID: T3h_GrayWo1f3
Re: xb1 kinect with pc monitor?
« Reply #1 on: 12:49 AM - 02/24/14 »
I suppose it would depend what you want to use kinect for.
I personally don't use it at all so probably not the best person for advice. But all voice controlled actions would work and I doubt any hand gestures that close would work.
AD700+DSS2/ g500s/ CM QuickFire TK/ asus VX238H/ xbone/ x360/ ps3/ ps4/ xim4!- FTW :P

Offline OvC4LiFe

• COME GET SOME!!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: iNsTiGaTi0N ( with a zero )
  • PSN ID: XiMsTiGaTi0N
« Reply #2 on: 01:40 AM - 02/24/14 »
Im not sure why I see so many people who don't use the kinect. I think it give the console a "next gen" feel. I didn't think I would use it much but I find it pretty handy at times.

I don't see how you could place it some where using a monitor if you wanted hand gestures, but I don't use those much, most of my use of the kinect is voice commands. although it is cool that it signs you into your profile just by sitting in front of it :P
"From dust we came, to dust we shall return."

Offline willthetech

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:34 AM - 02/24/14 »
I have my kinect next to me, about 2 feet away. I use it for auto login, skype, voice commands and chat. Is not a great location to use for kinect games.

Sorry about the PIC quality I got it from a video :)...

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:57 AM - 02/24/14 »
Oh ok cool, I was under the impression that it was required to be a certain distance or it wouldn't be usable. So I guess just hand gestures and body stuff would be the biggest loss.

Has anyone actually tried to mount it on the monitor? I was thinking the way the kinect moves up and down might be too much for your average thin monitor.

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
« Reply #5 on: 03:54 AM - 02/24/14 »
I have a 27 inch and I put it on top of the monitor with a bracket I got from Amazon for 10$. I have the PS Camera on top of it. The clip plastic hangs to far over very slightly but its not bad or annoying.

"Ouch, That hurt!" yo face

Offline Fade2Blak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:04 AM - 02/24/14 »
I mounted mine on a shelf on the wall behind my monitor.  It tilts so it isnt an issue for now because I am just using it for chat.  It still signs me in automatically as that is all I really use it for other than chat.

Offline nataku_0

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:28 PM - 02/24/14 »
I have a 27 inch and I put it on top of the monitor with a bracket I got from Amazon for 10$. I have the PS Camera on top of it. The clip plastic hangs to far over very slightly but its not bad or annoying.

The kinect moves right? Is that a problem for you?

Offline OvC4LiFe

• COME GET SOME!!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: iNsTiGaTi0N ( with a zero )
  • PSN ID: XiMsTiGaTi0N
« Reply #8 on: 08:34 PM - 02/24/14 »
I don't think it moves on it's own lol
if it does I haven't noticed it...
"From dust we came, to dust we shall return."

Offline thebside

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ma1arky
« Reply #9 on: 09:11 PM - 02/24/14 »
you don't have issues with it that close to where you sit?  I feel like I always have the gesture hands coming up on the edges of the screen.  That is when I know I am really getting into a game, as it means I am leaning in towards the screen.

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:41 PM - 02/24/14 »
I was able to fit my Kinect underneath my monitor. Sometimes I would get the weird gesture effects like it thought I was trying to do stuff with my hands so I finally just unhooked the Kinect. No reason to really use it anyway for me.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
« Reply #11 on: 05:48 AM - 02/25/14 »
you don't have issues with it that close to where you sit?  I feel like I always have the gesture hands coming up on the edges of the screen.  That is when I know I am really getting into a game, as it means I am leaning in towards the screen.

Every now and then the 2 hands pop up on the screen. I don't even know what that means. But it only stay up for a few seconds so I just don't pay it any attention. Maybe once a night if that much.

"Ouch, That hurt!" yo face