XIM Community

Sony set to reveal PS4 virtual reality headset at GDC 2014  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/sony-set-to-reveal-ps4-virtual-reality-headset-at-gdc-2014-1226620

Sony set to reveal PS4 virtual reality headset at GDC 2014
Exclusive Take that, Titanfall

Rumours of Sony's PS4 virtual reality headset have been running rife since last year, but now an inside source has told TechRadar that they've spent some time with the helmet behind closed doors - and it's almost ready to be revealed.

Our confidential tipster said that they were impressed with the quality of Sony's Oculus Rift competitor. "The quality and resolution are really, really good," they said. "People will definitely be impressed with what Sony's built".

They also told us that they understand Sony plans to announce the headset at GDC 2014, which kicks off in San Francisco on March 17.

Virtually just around the corner

With rumours that Sony might show off some VR games at E3, it makes sense for it to unveil the headset beforehand and keep Las Vegas focused on the software.

Talk of Sony's headset surfaced last year with word that we'd see it unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show, something that never materialised.

Our source told us that "Sony has deliberately taken its time to tweak and polish the headset before revealing it", rather than taking Oculus's approach of releasing the Rift to developers in stages.

Oculus Rift recently told TechRadar that it saw the PS4 and Xbox One as too limited for its headset, so it's good timing for Sony to swoop in and give console gamers a dose of virtual reality.

We approached Sony regarding this story, but it refused to comment.
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x & G502 l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS5 (PS4 hori fighting commander) l XIM: Apex l Gaming Monitor: LG 27UD68-W l Headset: Sony Pulse Wireless Headset

My old config/setup: https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
I didn't realize this thread was made already, please feel free to delete lol.
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x & G502 l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS5 (PS4 hori fighting commander) l XIM: Apex l Gaming Monitor: LG 27UD68-W l Headset: Sony Pulse Wireless Headset

My old config/setup: https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
i don't know man, it might be a good idea to migrate from that thread to this one. maybe this one attracts less troll posts and we can actually discuss the topic without having to prove the earth is not square to some people that don't know it and refuse to accept it...
soon..

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
Its OK Bolt. It seems the gen discussion post is slowly being steered in the on-topic direction.

Besides, it wouldn't get discussed much down here ... unless you use tapatalk.
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
Its OK Bolt. It seems the gen discussion post is slowly being steered in the on-topic direction.

I wonder how different the Sony one will be from Occulus Rift.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
going to leave this here boltman:

http://www.roadtovr.com/sonys-ps4-vr-headset-impressive-valves-new-details-emerge/

We’ve now received word from someone claiming to not only have tried Sony’s secretive virtual reality hardware but is actively developing software to utilise the device. Our source describes the HMD as having an FOV comparable to that of the Oculus Rift DK1 but with a much higher resolution. Further, the prototype our source had extensive time with, used two glowing orbs mounted atop the headset. Using a camera, assumed at this point to be the standard PS4 stereo camera that launched alongside the console late last year, the system tracks the user’s head in 3D space using the orbs to pinpoint position. Currently we have no information as to how head orientation is tracked, but it would make sense for Sony to include a solution similar to the Oculus Rift headtracker (IMU).

Sony PS Move Controller
Perhaps more interestingly, though, is that our developer source claims also to have attended the recent Steam Dev Days event in Seattle and sampled Valve’s apparently impressive prototype VR headset. According to the source, the two HMDs compare very favourably. The general impression was that resolution was comparable between Sony’s and Valve’s unit (reported to use two 1080p panels) and that head tracking accuracy was very close.

Finally, the developer also tells us that Sony’s VR headset was supposed to be revealed already but that technical issues delayed the announcement. What those issues were, we do not know.
soon..

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile

No idea.

There will be little difference if it's stereoscopic. At that point the main things would be motion and positional tracking as well as screen resolution.

The price point will have to be very attractive if they have any hope of making it main stream. If there's one thing we can learn from Microsoft, it's that the consumer base can be very resistant to change.

Edit:

Guess I was wrong about the other thread going back on topic. /sigh
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile

No idea.

There will be little difference if it's stereoscopic. At that point the main things would be motion and positional tracking as well as screen resolution.

The price point will have to be very attractive if they have any hope of making it main stream. If there's one thing we can learn from Microsoft, it's that the consumer base can be very resistant to change.

Any rumours about the supposed initial pricetag?

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile

No idea.

Any rumours about the supposed initial pricetag?

No idea. Haven't looked into it yet. Boltman?

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile

No idea.

Edit:

Guess I was wrong about the other thread going back on topic. /sigh

Sigh indeed.....

Anyways I am looking forward to all the innovation in the gaming world. Anything that ends up giving us gamers a more enjoyable experience is always a plus. I was watching Dying Light gameplay the other day and it made me realize how fun gaming can be without having to aim/shoot/kill all the time you know.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!

actually FOV, refresh rate, latency and resolution are all deal breaking aspects regardless of it being stereoscopic or not. and that's a ridiculous "if", considering that without stereoscopy it will not be true VR and just be a personal viewer display with 3D. which is exactly what the HMZ is and this is not.

if there is anything we can learn from MS is that a lot of people bought overpriced cameras called kinect. and that a lot of people also bought systems overpriced with another revision of the camera. so being optional this can actually be a bit expensive and get good sales, all it needs is to be good, aka meet expectations instead of failing them like other products.
soon..

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile
Re: Sony set to reveal PS4 virtual reality headset at GDC 2014
« Reply #11 on: 10:03 AM - 02/21/14 »
Just so everyone is aware the price of the kinect is an order of magnitude lower than any decent head mounted display on the market. Some arguments in this thread may have just been invalidated.

That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
Just so everyone is aware the price of the kinect is an order of magnitude lower than any decent head mounted display on the market. Some arguments in this thread may have just been invalidated.

Give me some numbers can you? I am just curious.

Offline toqy

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • View Profile

Give me some numbers can you? I am just curious.

Sony's current head mounted display is a grand, the standalone kinect was $150

Not that the next HMD will cost a grand, but

if there is anything we can learn from MS is that a lot of people bought overpriced cameras called kinect.

that makes no sense, its just a sensationalist bait post as usual. $150 dollars is within impulse buy range for a lot of people, a grand is not. The thing is going to have dual 1080p screens? Not gonna cost $150 unless they are selling at a loss. Look how much their playstation TV cost.
That "natural curve" you [roads] are talking about was me taking a wild guess what the game was doing (which was completely wrong of course).

😂😂😭

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Re: Sony set to reveal PS4 virtual reality headset at GDC 2014
« Reply #14 on: 10:12 AM - 02/21/14 »
O.Rift aims at $300, or 2x the kinect 1... and that's the only HMD that counts but nevermind the details...
soon..