XIM Community

XP Install Hang Problem (Resolved 8/18/2009)  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Joker961

• View Profile
    • Joker961's HQ
XP Install Hang Problem (Resolved 8/18/2009)
« on: 07:54 AM - 08/18/09 »
Have been attempting to install my retail XIM 360 XIM2 on my XP machine, but without success.  :-[ Here are my specs.

2.6 gHz Pentium 4
2 gb RAM
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, Service Pack 3
Installation appears to hang about half-way through the install, I think when adding XIMDriverInstaller.exe. The install program appear to call out to Microsoft, so I thought SyBase was causing the problem. After turning off the firewall, the result was the same. Tried the r091108b build which came with the XIM 360, and also tried the current build; both had the same results. Is there a need to turn off driver verification on XP as well as Vista? (My XIM 360 installed without a hitch on my 64-bit Vista machine.) Any help would be appreciated.

[Edit] Based on this thread http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=1470.0 I guess there's no fix known except to format/reinstall, which I'm certainly not doing. Anyone one know of a less invasive workaround?

[Edit, again] My driver signing is turned off by default on my machine. I went to turn it off, and I had already done so at some point. So, no help there, either.

[Edit, yet again] Just to blanket the field, tried the r090608 build, same result: Hangs on XIMDriverInstaller.exe...
« Last Edit: 07:36 PM - 08/18/09 by Joker961 »
Read me blog

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: XP Install Hang Problem
« Reply #1 on: 11:02 AM - 08/18/09 »
Here's a couple things you could try:

1) Install the driver for the Xbox 360 controller in advance.
2) Install the SiLabs driver for the XIM: https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/USBXpress_Install.zip

Maybe, just maybe that'll get you through the install.  If not you may have to unpack the installation and install things manually.

Offline Joker961

• View Profile
    • Joker961's HQ
« Reply #2 on: 02:58 PM - 08/18/09 »
Here's a couple things you could try:

1) Install the driver for the Xbox 360 controller in advance.
2) Install the SiLabs driver for the XIM: https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/USBXpress_Install.zip

Maybe, just maybe that'll get you through the install.  If not you may have to unpack the installation and install things manually.

Installing the SiLabs driver first & then unclicking the XIM360 driver option on the XIM360 install appears to have done the trick. With a thumbdrive, I copied over the files from my Vista install, and it seems operational for the moment. Moving onto the next step now, trying to play... :D
Read me blog

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:34 PM - 08/18/09 »
Cool, let me know how it goes.

Offline Joker961

• View Profile
    • Joker961's HQ
« Reply #4 on: 07:16 PM - 08/18/09 »
Cool, let me know how it goes.

Played for about 4 hrs on CoD3 single-player and the old school RTCW. No glitches or problems. Had the 360 freeze up at the end, but it's Bill Gates' fault, I think. :D Looks like installing the SiLabs drivers first was a good workaround for this XP install hang. Thanks again for a great product and great support!
Read me blog