XIM Community

Tough time for Sony Corp  (Read 4388 times)

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Re: Tough time for Sony Corp
« Reply #30 on: 01:45 PM - 02/07/14 »
Sony is actually doing really well despite what OP thinks. 1.1 billion loss? do you have any idea of the revenue Bertuzzi1616? it's 84 billion son, 1 or 2 billions are NOTHING to speak of considering the reasons for such loss and the profit they will warrant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sony-warns-of-11-billion-loss-2014-2

"But with core businesses like its smartphone, PCs, TVs and audio operations weaker than it expected through the first nine months of the fiscal year, Sony slashed its full-year operating profit forecast to 80 billion yen from the 170 billion yen it previously expected."

That's 80 billion Yen there, Grandmah. Which is only $781 million. Keep defending them though. I'm only providing facts, I'm not attacking them in anyway.

notice the lack of any currency symbols or names used?  ;)

it's a cut in profit, presumed mind you, not a net loss.. look at the previous fiscal year, that was worrying, and not even worth comparing wouldn't you agree? what i'm saying is a "look at the big picture" and don't judge a fiscal year report by itself but as a part of a sum.
soon..

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
« Reply #31 on: 01:54 PM - 02/07/14 »
Sony is actually doing really well despite what OP thinks. 1.1 billion loss? do you have any idea of the revenue Bertuzzi1616? it's 84 billion son, 1 or 2 billions are NOTHING to speak of considering the reasons for such loss and the profit they will warrant.

"But with core businesses like its smartphone, PCs, TVs and audio operations weaker than it expected through the first nine months of the fiscal year, Sony slashed its full-year operating profit forecast to 80 billion yen from the 170 billion yen it previously expected."

That's 80 billion Yen there, Grandmah. Which is only $781 million. Keep defending them though. I'm only providing facts, I'm not attacking them in anyway.

it's a cut in profit, presumed mind you, not a net loss.. look at the previous fiscal year, that was worrying, and not even worth comparing wouldn't you agree? what i'm saying is a "look at the big picture" and don't judge a fiscal year report by itself but as a part of a sum.

Big picture? Okay.

How about we just judge the credit rating, because credit research companies take everything into account...

Sony's credit rating is currently "Junk" based on future outlooks

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/27/sonys-credit-rating-cut-to-junk-by-moodys/

Offline Bertuzzi1616

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02:02 PM - 02/07/14 »

Come on bro, you're a joke. No one likes liars. Go read what you just wrote to Dale, and heed your own writing.

You say 1 or 2 billion is "NOTHING" compared to their profit. "84 billion son", as if $1.1 billion is only a fraction of that. $1.1 billion > $781 million. Try to spin it anyway you wish, tell us all how great their camera sensors are, that is not good news for ANY company.

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #33 on: 02:10 PM - 02/07/14 »
Meh, I don't think that "Junk" bond status is anything worth worrying about. Just because a company is considered higher risk for loans doesn't mean they're necessarily about to flop.

Here's a list of other "junk" rated companies that likely aren't going anywhere:
Sprint
Best Buy
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines
T-Mobile
Netflix
New York Times

Will some of those companies go out of business? Maybe. However, a junk bond status doesn't mean you're destined for death, it just means your cash flow situation is not conducive to taking on new loans.

Sony could easily go either way, but the point is the "junk" bond thing is getting more consideration than it deserves as far as whether Sony is going to fail.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02:13 PM - 02/07/14 »
I don't think Sony will go out of business, but I do agree with the OP that they are in "tough times"... and I would say the same thing about all those other companies you listed as well.

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02:15 PM - 02/07/14 »
I come in here unbiased and neutral when I say this...

Ak, do yourself a favor and back away from the thread my friend.

Nothing to win here, sometimes stepping away is the best thing one can do.

Just a friendly suggestion.
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS4 l XIM: Edge l Gaming Monitor: 24" BenQ RL2450HT prad.de rated 4 of 5 stars (gut!) l Headset: Sony Gold Wireless Headset

My config/setup: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02:20 PM - 02/07/14 »
I don't think Sony will go out of business, but I do agree with the OP that they are in "tough times"... and I would say the same thing about all those other companies you listed as well.

You would say Netflix is having tough times?

With a stock price at about $428/share (up 372% over the past 24 months) and financials that look like this:
https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ%3ANFLX&fstype=ii&ei=Jj_1Upi_Es-rqQH_Nw

I think I will avoid your financial advice, lol.
Xbox One / PC

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02:27 PM - 02/07/14 »
Netflix is a tough situation.

1- they ruined consumer confidence by raising the price of their subscription fee not to long ago. This sent their stock wayyy down.

2- they dont have solid long term solution for content. Recently, they've started to fix this with exclusives (house of cards / orange is the new black / etc) but the fact remains that their success is largely subject to deals with other content providers. For example, HBO is now refusing to do any deals with netflix.

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 02:30 PM - 02/07/14 »
Not too long ago? That was almost three years ago. The market has completely forgotten that.

They have a perfect long term solution with tons of great content both of their own and from other networks. So they're missing Game of Thrones. Big deal. They have plenty to make up for that. People aren't going to suddenly stop watching TV at some near point in the future.

Methinks you're heavily grasping at straws here. The market is fully behind Netflix. You're pretty much the only person I've heard of in years that would remotely consider Netflix a "tough situation." It's ok to admit when you're wrong.
Xbox One / PC

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
« Reply #39 on: 02:33 PM - 02/07/14 »
Netflix and Hulu Plus together is less than a quarter of a monthly cable TV payment.  Anything I would ever want to watch is on one of those.  That doesn't even consider what I get for "free" on Amazon Prime and PBS on the Roku.

XIM4 Anti Aim-assist curve: http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=31309.msg400143#msg400143
All you ever wanted to know about headsets and chat for the 360: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=16461.0

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 02:35 PM - 02/07/14 »
What am I wrong about? The fact remains that without the content from other networks Netflix would not exist. HBO publically turned down a HUGE offer from netflix because they realized that it would be taking away from their long term business. My view is that as companies discover that they can monetize their own streaming content (like HBO) than companies like Netflix will suffer. Its a real concern, that's why they have started to produce their own content. Its just too risky for my money.

BTW- You were wrong about their credit rating being junk... Moody's Investors Service changed Netflix, Inc.'s (Nasdaq: NFLX) rating outlook to positive from stable.
« Last Edit: 02:40 PM - 02/07/14 by drharney »

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 02:40 PM - 02/07/14 »
What am I wrong about? The fact remains that without the content from other networks Netflix would not exist. HBO publically turned down a HUGE offer from netflix because they realized that it would be taking away from their long term business. My view is that as companies discover that they can monetize their own streaming content (like HBO) than companies like Netflix will suffer. Its just too risky for my money.

HBO is one company and HBO always does what HBO feels like doing. They don't have agreements with anybody and never have and it's because HBO is owned by Time Warner and Time Warner is one of the largest cable providers in the US. That's the only reason they don't have a deal with HBO.

Most other distributors have contracts with Netflix and show no signs of that changing.

If Netflix had a lot of uncertainty in its future it would *absolutely* reflect in the stock market. Uncertainty is the exact thing that makes investors bail on a stock. So, you can call Netflix a "tough situation" all you want, but that would be the opposite of the rest of the market, and in a choice between Some Guy on a Forum's position and the rest of the market, I'm going to give a lot more credence to the rest of the market.

BTW - I'm not wrong about it being junk. I'm just looking at S&P and Morning Star and you're looking at Moody's. Two out of three call it junk.
Xbox One / PC

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 02:43 PM - 02/07/14 »
What am I wrong about? The fact remains that without the content from other networks Netflix would not exist. HBO publically turned down a HUGE offer from netflix because they realized that it would be taking away from their long term business. My view is that as companies discover that they can monetize their own streaming content (like HBO) than companies like Netflix will suffer. Its just too risky for my money.

HBO is one company and HBO always does what HBO feels like doing. They don't have agreements with anybody and never have and it's because HBO is owned by Time Warner and Time Warner is one of the largest cable providers in the US. That's the only reason they don't have a deal with HBO.

Most other distributors have contracts with Netflix and show no signs of that changing.

If Netflix had a lot of uncertainty in its future it would *absolutely* reflect in the stock market. Uncertainty is the exact thing that makes investors bail on a stock. So, you can call Netflix a "tough situation" all you want, but that would be the opposite of the rest of the market, and in a choice between Some Guy on a Forum's position and the rest of the market, I'm going to give a lot more credence to the rest of the market.

Well okay, we can both have our opinions, but as it pertains to this particular topic, you were wrong about their stock being rated as "junk"  :

"Moody's Investors Service changed Netflix, Inc.'s (Nasdaq: NFLX) rating outlook to positive from stable."

So they are not a good example to use in comparison to Sony (whose stock really is rated "Junk")

Source: http://www.streetinsider.com/Credit+Ratings/Moodys+Raises+Outlook+on+Netflix+(NFLX)+to+Positive%3B+Cites+Strong+Operating+Performance/9111814.html

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02:50 PM - 02/07/14 »
I think you don't know how to read credit ratings. "Outlook positive" doesn't mean "not junk." It means the rating is likely to improve versus stable (no change) or negative (likely to decline).

NFLX's bond rating with Moody's is still Ba3, which for Moody's is junk.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/ba3-bb.asp
Xbox One / PC

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03:06 PM - 02/07/14 »
Now I *know* you don't know how to read credit ratings.

BAA3 > BA1 > BA3.

Netflix is still rated as *LOWER* by Moody's than Sony is rated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moody's_Investors_Service#Moody.27s_credit_ratings

I think you might want to drop this argument now.

EDIT: Lol, nice stealth delete.
Xbox One / PC

Admin