XIM Community

PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 Via Emulation  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 Via Emulation
« on: 02:39 PM - 01/28/14 »
Report: PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 Via Emulation

A report coming from Eurogamer suggests that Sony will bring over PlayStation 1 and PlayStation 2 games to the newly released PlayStation 4. The new-gen console isn't equipped to handle backwards compatibility and the report says that it won't be using the recently announced PlayStation Now streaming service, instead opting for emulation.

According to Eurogamer's "well-placed source," Sony is looking to bring older titles to the PS4 via emulation similar to how it brought PS1 games to the PlayStation 3/Vita and PS2 games to the PS3 using software emulation and PSN. Except in this case, the legacy titles may look even better by running the game in HD native resolution, Eurogamer suggests.

"Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the 'HD remasters' we saw on PS3 where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all."

PlayStation Now will initially stream PS3 games with PS2 and PS1 games down the line. It'll be interesting to see if Sony will indeed use emulation to cater to the core PS4 audience as emulation should offer a better gaming experience over a cloud streaming solution.

Source: Eurogamer

Link

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/68989/report-ps1ps2-games-coming-to-ps4-via-emulation

Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x & G502 l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS5 (PS4 hori fighting commander) l XIM: Apex l Gaming Monitor: LG 27UD68-W l Headset: Sony Pulse Wireless Headset

My old config/setup: https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x & G502 l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS5 (PS4 hori fighting commander) l XIM: Apex l Gaming Monitor: LG 27UD68-W l Headset: Sony Pulse Wireless Headset

My old config/setup: https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 Via Emulation
« Reply #2 on: 02:59 PM - 01/28/14 »
"Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the 'HD remasters' we saw on PS3 where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all."

thats the interesting part, all my ps1 games look so much better on emulators than running them regular on the console

i would highly welcome that, this would make me rebuy some of my games with replay value
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Re: PS1/PS2 Games Coming to PS4 Via Emulation
« Reply #3 on: 05:10 PM - 01/28/14 »
hmm this is very confusing but interesting info.

on the one hand PSNow (aka game streaming) is their (Sony's) proud solution to answer backwards compatibility calls. it has monetization set and *only* (LOL) requires a good internet and proper investment from them locally (which i guess will be progressive, starting fairly limited)

on the other hand emulation solves the internet requirement issue and all the issues bundled with streaming, including but def not limited to, Sony's need to invest heavily on servers and infrastructure. BUT, how will Sony monetize emulation? using discs is out of the question, disc trade for Downloadable version reeks of either a loss for them or too expensive for us, and if they are planning on selling the emulated games.....

geee thanks for selling the same games for th 9000th time Sony. thanks for completely not giving 2 fu*ks about us when we shouted we wanted this for PS4 prior to release and now "backpedaling" to give us what we asked after you said "no" and hinted at cons that you now admit don't apply.

why couldn't they have said from the get go " we will look into this and make it if it's viable " ?
ugh, i don't get these moves from these companies at times.
soon..