XIM Community

ST Question  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Titan

• View Profile
ST Question
« on: 02:11 AM - 01/27/14 »
What exactly does a smart translator do and how does it seperate the XIM4 from other kb/m adaptors?
Also, will the XIM4 ST's be supportive for Xbox 360 as well, or is it just on xbox one?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: ST Question
« Reply #1 on: 03:45 AM - 01/27/14 »
yes xim4 will also support the last gen consoles (xbox360 and ps3)

smart translators are complex to explain which is why i refer to obsivs explanation in the development blog :)
here is his post

A console mouse adapter is only as good as the feel it produces in-game. XIM is the only device to offer Smart Translators -- a sophisticated and innovative solution for this very difficult problem. We had a preview of Smart Translators in XIM2, but, they've since been significantly updated and advanced for the upcoming release of XIM3.

I talk a lot about Smart Translators, but, I wanted to give you a behind-the-scenes look at the type of quality and precision you can look forward to:

you can read more on smart translators here:
http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=3819.0
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #2 on: 08:24 PM - 01/27/14 »
ST = Smart Translators. = a software,or a group of algorithms, that changes the XIM's interpretation of your mouse movements to match them accordingly to how each game's look mechanic behaves.

PS: look mechanic is the set of rules, mechanics, that affect how the player can interact with the Point of View camera of the game, which is what you are seeing on-screen when you game.

as an example: let's say game X lets you move your aim faster in the first second that you are moving it and then goes to normal speed. this would make your mouse movement "jump" or suddenly "slow down" and move at different speeds depending on if you were moving for less or more than 1 second.

so the movement would be inconsistent and very hard to handle.

and ST is made for game X that will make that inconsistency disappear by tailoring the mouse movement it receives to be "slower" in the first 1 second and "faster" after it with the results of the same movement you make be the same no matter the circumstances.

to make an ST for a game, XIM studies how the "look"/camera movement works in the game and then builds a code that calculates what movement needs to be output to the console for the screen movement to best match the movement of the mouse.
soon..

Offline mr_clark

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: mr_clark
« Reply #3 on: 04:48 PM - 01/28/14 »
Thanks for posting the video link. That really gives me a much better understanding of why the XIM* product is so much better than what else is out there.

My first post here on the forums. Got a PS4 for Christmas and so I moved my PS3 to my office. Hooked up my Eagle Eye adapter (which I purchased a couple of years ago but never used much because K&M at the couch is a pain) and I can't believe how much better I'm playing games like BF3. I'm kicking but. Although it is a little glitchy.

Now with my PS4 I want to move to what appears to be the best solution to using a keyboard and mouse with the PS4.

One question about that video. Is OBsIV the only developer who works on creating the smart translators or is there a bunch of people? just wondering about time between a new game coming out and how quickly smart translators become available.

Well, I'm looking forward to picking up the XIM4 the day it becomes available. So want to dump my controller with BF4.

Thanks.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #4 on: 05:00 PM - 01/28/14 »
One question about that video. Is OBsIV the only developer who works on creating the smart translators or is there a bunch of people? just wondering about time between a new game coming out and how quickly smart translators become available.

mist4fun is the one doing ST's.. there is at least one "ST making machine" that is basically a PC and some stuff. mist has to go through the data collected and interpret it and so the STs are not made fully automatically.

it usually takes longer for mist to get the game than what it takes for him to make the STs. and he has done STs within days, or a couple of weeks tops, after games are released.

so overall process is fairly quick now.

you should join the RC tester group to get ST's faster, even if under beta arrangements. meaning ST's may not be perfect possibly..
soon..

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:05 PM - 01/28/14 »
Typically support for a new game is given within the same week if there are no issues. Training takes up to 24 hours per aim mode, so up to 48 hours for both Hip and ADS. Since we now plan to support twice as many platforms I'll be investing in a second training pc to help cut that time down.

Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:08 PM - 01/28/14 »
you should join the RC tester group to get ST's faster, even if under beta arrangements. meaning ST's may not be perfect possibly..

Well, when I get my XIM4 I'll definitely do that. I'm usually pre-ordering games, especially any FPS (except for those god awful COD games..yuck!) so I am usually playing on launch day.

Looking forward to when the XIM4 is available.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #7 on: 06:38 PM - 01/28/14 »
you can join the RC section now,  just go to your profile (in the bar at the top), pick Group memberships in the left menu and make the request to join ^^
soon..

Offline mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10:51 PM - 01/28/14 »
But if I don't have a device right now what good would joining the RC group be?

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #9 on: 12:00 AM - 01/29/14 »
But if I don't have a device right now what good would joining the RC group be?

well it takes some time to get accepted. so it's best if you cut that time asap..

aren't you curious to check it out? you can gain access to some info and get the lay of the land before needed.
soon..

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:24 AM - 01/29/14 »
I believe applications are accepted when there is something to test. Signing up now may not make a difference.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #11 on: 12:37 AM - 01/29/14 »
do it. do it now. don't listen to those pesky do gooders, come relish in the power of the dark side! do it now! we have cookies and they are hot out of the oven, they may be cold later!

we all know you'll join the dark side eventually, why do it when there are old cookies? now, do it.

PS: do it.
soon..

Offline mr_clark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11:42 PM - 01/29/14 »
do it. do it now. don't listen to those pesky do gooders, come relish in the power of the dark side! do it now! we have cookies and they are hot out of the oven, they may be cold later!

we all know you'll join the dark side eventually, why do it when there are old cookies? now, do it.

Cookies? Well how can I resist cookies! Sign me up!

PS: do it.