XIM Community

XIM4 and Developers  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Psycrow

• View Profile
XIM4 and Developers
« on: 08:56 PM - 01/26/14 »
Looking at the development blog; Android phones appears to be the lead platform (disregarding PC for now) with iOS as a target platform also. I use Windows Phone.

Are there any plans for Windows Phone 8 as a target platform also?

I personally have the XIM3 and have purchased the XIM Edge for friends to use. External connectivity (Bluetooth) makes the XIM4 a fundamentally different product when compared to the previous iterations.

Are there any plans to allow developers to use this connection? I personally, as well as a couple of my dev friends, would be interested in making an unofficial WP8 app if none are already supported.

Interested in hearing any thoughs.
Leopold FC500R (Cherry MX Brown)
Logitech G400
XIM3 | XIME | XIM4!

Offline lukemedway_uk

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: DJBUCKSH0T
  • PSN ID: DJBUCKSHOT
Re: XIM4 and Developers
« Reply #1 on: 02:19 AM - 01/27/14 »
I believe OBs uses a windows phone also so it is possible it will be supported in the future however, for the beta release and early xim4 it will be android only since it offers a lot more freedom in terms of approval restrictions and most people have an android device at least somewhere. The second group of people which might even be larger than android users is iOS, so this will no doubt be prioritised. The only reason that is delayed is because of their approval processes which can take weeks.

After that it's anyone's guess!

Don't forget though that you can always just use your PC/laptop to control the xim4 via Bluetooth, since I don't have an android device this is the route I am going down. If it's also like the edge you will also be able to use the controller to fine tune adjustments, such as with sensitivity. 

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:51 AM - 01/27/14 »
obsiv himself is using a windows phone and he already posted his interest in trying to make windows phones compatible too
this isnt a guarantee but at least an info that theres a possibility
he said this would be realized after iOS is handled

about your second question
someone asked a similar question some time ago and obsiv replied that he might offer a SDK for such reasons
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline phene

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: fauxmatic
« Reply #3 on: 08:23 AM - 01/27/14 »
I posted this before and not to go off topic from Windows phones, but regarding iOS ...is anyone considering using Cydia to release an app ..you'll have to have a jailbroken* device, but I'm assuming the restrictions of getting an app on there are considerably less

*And regarding the jailbreak, there's one currently available for all iOS devices, supporting the latest firmware of 7.0.4
PSN: fauxmatic | PS4
Chat: Turtle Beach P11 via USB
Setup: XIM4 . G502 . Sony Nav

Offline jvr2401

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Bigmoo31
  • PSN ID: Bigmoo31
« Reply #4 on: 09:51 AM - 01/27/14 »
The second group of people which might even be larger than android users is iOS, so this will no doubt be prioritised. The only reason that is delayed is because of their approval processes which can take weeks.

Sorry to be pedantic but I work on both Android and IOS development and  Android has close to a billion users compared to just over 300 million ios users so IOS is considerably smaller user base and even without the itunes approval needed it should be behind android development.

The only reason apps are usually prioritised for itunes/ios is because apps are harder to crack than on android, and therefore offer a guaranteed revenue stream, but I assume the XIM app will be free.

Really sorry, I'm not having a go I just wanted to point out that apple is not as big as people imagine.

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #5 on: 10:07 AM - 01/27/14 »
Sigh. This conversation again.

Android has more install base, but iOS users more heavily use both their device itself and apps. A lot of the numbers in that Android stat are random devices running Android that aren't tablets or smartphones and another large part of that number are people running heavily gimped Android devices from deep discount cell providers. Neither of those user bases are worth considering app support.

Android definitely has an edge in terms of install base, but the 300 million vs 1 billion number is incredibly misleading.

To the other topic - I don't think the XIM team would want to go the route of an app that requires a jailbreak. XIM tends to stick to purely legitimate releases.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #6 on: 10:20 AM - 01/27/14 »
they are releasing a windows app on launch

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 10:22 AM - 01/27/14 »
You are right, I do use a Windows Phone (Nokia 925 which I love). I have several Android and iOS devices too for development and still prefer and enjoy the Windows Phone experience over these other platforms. That said, there are 2 things  blocking me. We use a great cross platform framework called Qt Mobile. They do not yet have a version for Windows Mobile but they are working on it. Once they do, we will have a Windows Phone version. The second issue is Bluetooth access. Last time I checked there was no access at the level we need (called RFCOMM -- or GATT for iOS). I'm sure that'll change over time.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline cornf13x

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: On2Whls
« Reply #8 on: 10:57 AM - 01/27/14 »
I have an android....bring on the Beta!  :P
goin' ham!

Offline Soulo

• MVP
  • Origin: Soulo13
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Soulo13
  • PSN ID: TheRealSoulo
« Reply #9 on: 12:19 PM - 01/27/14 »

YES!!!!!!
Community TS3 Server (US Central) - Console and PC Gaming
Server Address: justgame.teamspeak3.com:8670

you're not a hardcore gamer until you snort coke off your mousepad in the middle of a quake duel
Think to yourself "is this something an idiot would post?" ... If the answer to either of those questions is "yes" then you probably shouldn't post it

Offline The Pfhor

• MVP
  • "The Master of Unlocking."
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: The Pfhor
  • PSN ID: Jjaro
« Reply #10 on: 09:45 PM - 01/27/14 »
You are right, I do use a Windows Phone (Nokia 925 which I love).

Well, a while back I commented to someone (anony, complaining about the lack of initial iOS support) that I assumed you use an Android. I stand corrected. Sorry anony.
USN: OS1 (SW/AW)
Steam ID: thothjjaro
Mouse: Logitech G502
Keyboard: SteelSeries 6Gv2 w/ Cherry MX Red

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:49 AM - 01/28/14 »

got rid of all my apple crap-ware so I am prepared for the new XIM4.. I now have the galaxy note 3.. and a galaxy tab 3 as well.

bring on the XIM4...
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline lukemedway_uk

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: DJBUCKSH0T
  • PSN ID: DJBUCKSHOT
« Reply #12 on: 11:38 AM - 01/28/14 »
The second group of people which might even be larger than android users is iOS, so this will no doubt be prioritised. The only reason that is delayed is because of their approval processes which can take weeks.

Sorry to be pedantic but I work on both Android and IOS development and  Android has close to a billion users compared to just over 300 million ios users so IOS is considerably smaller user base and even without the itunes approval needed it should be behind android development.

The only reason apps are usually prioritised for itunes/ios is because apps are harder to crack than on android, and therefore offer a guaranteed revenue stream, but I assume the XIM app will be free.

Really sorry, I'm not having a go I just wanted to point out that apple is not as big as people imagine.

No problem I get you and you are technically correct. Although as others have pointed out the stats are misleading if you're looking at install base alone. What I meant was that if I had to guess, the number of android/iOS users who also use xim is going to be pretty even, with maybe iOS being slightly more but that is a pure guess and I have no data to back that up with. Maybe we need a poll?