Petition to DICE/EA  (Read 4156 times)

Offline lukemedway_uk

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: DJBUCKSH0T
  • PSN ID: DJBUCKSHOT
Re: Petition to DICE/EA
« Reply #15 on: 10:28 AM - 01/24/14 »
Ok i guess im insane then :)

But the PS4 already allow mouse and keyboard support, its just a developer question to allow it in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOFMUa6ESvU

So all this people using the DS4 thinks it is unfair playing against PC people and KB/m users?
Anyway i think there will be more games allowing kb/m support in the future for PS4.

I think you'll also find that mouse and keyboard was also supported on the ps3... But no developers decided to introduce it. Can't see why they'd bother now? Most kids use controller anyway!

Offline foxy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11:12 AM - 01/24/14 »
I did not want to reply to this as all it does is rage forum wars.

There is a marginal advantage k/m have over controller purely for the reason most people are used to k/m as they either grew up playing games with it and use it daily for work.  Just having the mouse in your hand for x amount of hours working on spreadsheets, graphics design, etc is reinforcing muscle memory and fine motor skills (needed for small corrective adjustments).  Therefore I say marginal because using a device like XIM "CAN" (not will) give you a slight advantage over someone that does not have a XIM and is also more comfortable with k/m.  This situation is a reality to a large amount of people as not everyone wants to spend $100 on additional devices for something the controller can do.  That is why people whine about this stupid unfair advantage thing, they either suck at gaming, don't want to spend, can't afford it or just plain don't want to and choose to complain about it.  Just as example, my friend don't care if I use k/m as he is good with a controller and will take me on any day (usually even battle).

What is gaming about for 80-90% of us?  Enjoyment.  We spend money on a system and games to get enjoyment out of it.  The other 10-20% either spend money to make money or to be pro gamers.  Have you ever heard a pro gamer complain about these things, no because its stupid.  They are pro gamers because they are good with their setup what ever it is and will take on anyone.  For the rest of us we use methods to adapt to our gaming style be it controller or k/m, and getting a XIM is not unfair (using macros on a k/m adapter is unfair/cheating).  Racing sim peeps use steering wheels, does anyone complain about that, no they even do tournaments with them.  I have played GT5 with steering wheel and was pretty good but I got beaten numerous times badly by peeps with controllers because thats what they good with.

As for NEVER getting k/m support count your word wisely and also be more informed.  War Thunder already working very hard on getting not only k/m support working but cross-platform as well.  How long do you think it will take for other companies to adapt this think out of the box ideas.  Dust 514 on PS3 also has k/m support although not 1:1 movement as PC mouse movement but its there.  Where there is smoke there is or was fire.... where do you think this is?  DICE even release that as an idea for BF4 but later dropped it.  Thinking of it in house is far from mentioning it publicly.  It may have been marketing stunt but again where there is smoke.....  The consoles are so close to being PC's now in terms of architecture and game development.

Petition away I say, it may not be now but it could be in future.  At this moment and for near future IMO I can guarantee you the XIM device will be far more superior.

Offline Ixt

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11:37 AM - 01/24/14 »
Actually, the advantage in accuracy is quite significant; there is no comparison to the amount of fidelity and range of movement you get with a mouse.

With a controller, your brain needs to adapt a 1 to 2 inch movement to a much larger field of view, which means crazy amounts of micro-movements translating to a significantly larger representation (which is why aim assist is so huge on the consoles).  With a mouse, you can map it near 1:1, which allows you to skip a bunch of that association.

Given someone who does not use a m+k or a controller much:
  • Try drawing a figure 8 or a circle with a controller.  Now do it with a mouse.
  • Pick 3 - 4 points on a screen.  Snap to each one without having to micro-adjust with a controller.  Then do it with a mouse.
  • Draw a smiley face using a button and a control stick.  Now use a mouse.

It will take WAY less time for a person to naturally "get" how the mouse works with sensitivity, and some tasks are near impossible with a control stick.

Are there people who are better on a controller that you (meaning anyone) will ever be with a mouse?  Probably, but (as you said) that has to do with practice and game knowledge.  It a straight accuracy bout (with all else being equal), the mouser should dominate.

On the whole "cheating" thing:
Pay-to-win happens with a better internet connection, better display device, etc -- so you can categorize it like that.  But in the end, is the Xim something the developers intended and accounted for when if they took game balance into consideration?  No way.  Because of that, it's technically a cheat.

But is it illegal to use?  Nothing by Microsoft has ever explicitly stated that it was.
« Last Edit: 11:48 AM - 01/24/14 by junkyspace »

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #18 on: 11:47 AM - 01/24/14 »
Almost nothing comes down to pure precision shooting. Mice are obviously able to be much more precise, but I think the reason most of us use it is muscle memory and overall comfort level.

Most shooters come down to getting the jump on people, being strategic, map knowledge, etc. The only way I could see precision being the biggest factor is if Activision decides COD: Revolutionary War should be a thing and you have a game with non-moving targets shooting each other across an open battlefield.

I don't think too many XIMers just walk into a game and dominate every lobby. Using a mouse, at least for me, just let's us play without a handicap because after years of muscle memory playing shooters on PC, I'm hopelessly terrible with a controller. When playing with a XIM I certainly don't rank at the top of every single lobby I join.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline Ixt

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11:58 AM - 01/24/14 »
That is true that not all else is equal ever, especially just having fun in random matches.  Competitively, though, where map knowledge, positioning, prediction, etc are relatively similar, I still think it offers a significant advantage (especially in more "twitchy" games).

For this noob, it's just a nice gadget that makes my hand hurt less when I play and lowers my frustration level. :)

Offline rezneffix

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Petition to DICE/EA
« Reply #20 on: 12:02 PM - 01/24/14 »
Almost nothing comes down to pure precision shooting. Mice are obviously able to be much more precise, but I think the reason most of us use it is muscle memory and overall comfort level.

Most shooters come down to getting the jump on people, being strategic, map knowledge, etc. The only way I could see precision being the biggest factor is if Activision decides COD: Revolutionary War should be a thing and you have a game with non-moving targets shooting each other across an open battlefield.

I don't think too many XIMers just walk into a game and dominate every lobby. Using a mouse, at least for me, just let's us play without a handicap because after years of muscle memory playing shooters on PC, I'm hopelessly terrible with a controller. When playing with a XIM I certainly don't rank at the top of every single lobby I join.

Agree 100%. I could never play with a controller. I never even understood the idea of playing a shooter with a controller. This goes back to CS and Battlefield 2 days. Just so dang used to the mouse. Heck I even use a traditional keyboard unlike a lot of ximmers who use the sony nav etc.

Offline pyton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12:05 PM - 01/24/14 »
With a M/kb support in game there will be more gaming on equal terms for both old PC players and young controller users because players have thier options to choose from.
And as you say its all about muscle memory, i really suck playing with a controller, but im not a bad @#$% with xim either and i guess all i meet is not another ximuser. So it all depends on what input device you are used too. But i cant deny the precision is better with a mouse.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Timmie 3000
« Reply #22 on: 01:17 PM - 01/24/14 »
You have to realize, that if they do bring native support for Keyboards and mouses, you will only be able to play against other players using keyboards and mouses. The advantage one has using a keyboard and mouse over someone using a controller, is quite high.

Thus, you would still need the XIM to play with your friends that are using controllers. Or in my case, I would still need the XIM, if I want to continue beasting against people using a controller.

Offline Timmie3054

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Timmie 3000
« Reply #23 on: 01:20 PM - 01/24/14 »
Ok i guess im insane then :)

But the PS4 already allow mouse and keyboard support, its just a developer question to allow it in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOFMUa6ESvU

So all this people using the DS4 thinks it is unfair playing against PC people and KB/m users?
Anyway i think there will be more games allowing kb/m support in the future for PS4.

I think you'll also find that mouse and keyboard was also supported on the ps3... But no developers decided to introduce it. Can't see why they'd bother now? Most kids use controller anyway!

Unreal Tournament for the PS3 had Keyboard and Mouse support, however, players using keyboards and mouses were divide into there own servers, separate from people using controllers. Because obviously the people with the mouse and keyboard would destroy the people with controllers.

Offline Amarce

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01:25 PM - 01/24/14 »
Some of us destroy other m&k users, too ;) Compete against aimbotters long enough on pc and you become faster than bots.
Maximus gen v
16 gb ddr5
512 ssd
G500s
Wolfking warrior 2xxtreme
Astro a40
24" asus 1ms 27" lg tm2792d-sn
Xim2,xim3,xime
But all I want is xim4 on ps4
Date Registered: 12:33 AM - 06/28/08-
I wasn't here posting because this product was so perfect (I was gg'ing 😆👍)