XIM Community

Demo XIM translators without purchase  (Read 1405 times)

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
Demo XIM translators without purchase
« on: 02:51 PM - 12/30/13 »
Xim is picking up speed more and more from potential customers. People are most skeptical of the movement ratio though.

I was wondering if there was a way which shows the difference in mouse movement on the potential customers computer which he can use.  I do not mean a video but an actual program that emulates console look mechanics (maybe a game that allows a controller already?) so the potential customer can see what he is buying.

Something along the lines of...
 pick a game that is both on pc and xbox/ps3.
Then make a program on the pc that demos the mechanics of pc, competitor, xim.
 You would compare to see the difference between using a mouse on pc vs console, and the difference between the smart translators and competitors who dont have ST.

Not sure how hard that would be, or if possible at all, but I was just thinking about it.

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
Re: Demo XIM translators without purchase
« Reply #1 on: 03:14 PM - 12/30/13 »
Interesting idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work in practice. I'd like to hear from some of the programmers to get a better idea how it would play out.
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: KodRaiN
« Reply #2 on: 09:47 PM - 12/30/13 »
Or just watch videos of Ximers raping face and practice on any number of free online shooters on the PC (for those of you not used to kb/m). 

The feel of the XIM is still a far cry from mouse aiming on the PC, but it's the best option as far as translators go.  I think a lot of people might be disappointed with the XIM if they have never used kb/m.  There is a huge learning curve there.  Also, no amount of aiming skill will compensate for noobishness.  The best Ximers have been PC gamers for over a decade and thus, not only have mastery over kb/m, but understand FPS mechanics and have a huge awareness of map space, teammate locations, enemy and teammate deaths, and therefore know where to position themselves and where to look for enemies. 

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09:54 PM - 12/30/13 »
As the developers would likely tell you,  this Idea poses many problems.  You would have to emulate the 360 to run a portion of a game (which is probably illegal) in addition to emulating the XIM on the PC (like how the XIM1 worked) which would make it easier for competitors or pirates to steal software from XIM Technologies.  You would also not likely have a decent mouse if you were in this situation, which doesn't allow one to use the XIM to the fullest potential as I found out with my 200dpi dell mouse. 

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:58 PM - 12/30/13 »
The time it would take to develop is pointless.

Do this bro.. Buy bf4 on PC....play it... Now pretend you just did so on a console like xb1...,, problem solved.??and  no demo program required,,,,

Its pretty much just like playing on the PC... But on a much cheaper console,,, nuff said, oh excerpt on console you get aim assist as well on most shooters....
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
« Reply #5 on: 11:25 PM - 12/30/13 »
@KodRain -

I disagree.  The feel of a XIM is not a "far cry" from KBAM on PC.  That's why we're all here and not on the Eagle Eye or Aimon message boards.  While certainly not perfect, it's as close as you possibly can come.  The biggest complaint anyone seems to have it turn speed, and that's not a XIM issue -- that's a limitation game designers put in for controler folks intentionally across the board. 

@BDM and back on topic --

I think the videos that show people's mouse movements in the lower right hand of the screen while watching gameplay gives awesome insight, especially with the circle test. 

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:30 PM - 12/30/13 »
Getting used to the turn speed reduction WAS a huge adjustment for me when moving to the console.  And actually being able to feel the acceleration. 

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #7 on: 12:57 AM - 12/31/13 »
if they want to try it...i recommend they try it... :)

Offline Rambos_BFF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:01 AM - 12/31/13 »
@KodRain -

I disagree.  The feel of a XIM is not a "far cry" from KBAM on PC.  That's why we're all here and not on the Eagle Eye or Aimon message boards.  While certainly not perfect, it's as close as you possibly can come.  The biggest complaint anyone seems to have it turn speed, and that's not a XIM issue -- that's a limitation game designers put in for controler folks intentionally across the board. 

I think the videos that show people's mouse movements in the lower right hand of the screen while watching gameplay gives awesome insight, especially with the circle test.

I agree with kodrain here. It's tough to go back and forth for me between PC and ximming on console. Absolutely no doubt it's the best mouse and keyboard peripheral ever, but in the end it's emulating the controller in a console environment.

That's not a negative about xim at all, but it did take some time to get used to and there's a vast difference when I play on the actual PC. I know not everyone will agree, but that's just my experience.

I agree with you about the hand movement/game play videos. I think that's the best way to display it's pwnage powers the most. Obviously helps to have someone who's really good to show it off. =)

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12:07 AM - 01/01/14 »
I didnt think about the software being stolen as a potential issue but thats obvious now. I just thought that it was something interesting to think about.
Having people feel the difference compared to watching a video is more attractive to a buyer. Like, how I am trying to buy a new mouse and its really impossible to try them out.  So with that doubt, and my frugality, I am less likely to buy a different mouse then the one I know will perform a certain way.
Just keeping everyone on their toes lol.

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08:34 AM - 01/02/14 »
@KodRain -

I agree with kodrain here. It's tough to go back and forth for me between PC and ximming on console. Absolutely no doubt it's the best mouse and keyboard peripheral ever, but in the end it's emulating the controller in a console environment.

That's not a negative about xim at all, but it did take some time to get used to and there's a vast difference when I play on the actual PC. I know not everyone will agree, but that's just my experience.

I agree with you about the hand movement/game play videos. I think that's the best way to display it's pwnage powers the most. Obviously helps to have someone who's really good to show it off. =)

for me its not the difference with the kb/m that makes the swap tough.. its the lack of aim assist.

if your a console gamester with a m/k and go to PC... your going to get your face pwned.
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline KodRaiN

• MVP
  • Code Reign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02:25 PM - 01/02/14 »
I didnt think about the software being stolen as a potential issue but thats obvious now. I just thought that it was something interesting to think about.
Having people feel the difference compared to watching a video is more attractive to a buyer. Like, how I am trying to buy a new mouse and its really impossible to try them out.  So with that doubt, and my frugality, I am less likely to buy a different mouse then the one I know will perform a certain way.

I brought my whole setup into BestBuy to test out mice and keypads, then ended up buying off ebay. 

Offline bdm214

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03:24 PM - 01/11/14 »

I brought my whole setup into BestBuy to test out mice and keypads, then ended up buying off ebay. 

hahahahahah that IS AWESOME hahaha.