XIM Community

UAC compliance  (Read 717 times)

Offline link68759

• View Profile
UAC compliance
« on: 12:38 PM - 12/30/13 »
Xim edge manager needs to be run as admin for it to connect to the device- I suggest that you either just have the manager request elevation, or try to program it in a way that doesn't require administrative privileges.

I was very confused when the manager kept freezing whenever I tried to connect to the edge!

thanks

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: UAC compliance
« Reply #1 on: 01:43 PM - 12/30/13 »
Hmm, that's new. I've never known anyone to have to run as Admin and it wasn't designed that way. Can you tell us about your environment? Version of Windows, anti-virus installed, any uncommon programs running?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline link68759

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:20 PM - 01/02/14 »
win 8.1 x64

I've been reading that others have issues with 8.1... For me, I've never gotten it to work run I run normally, but it works just about every time when run as admin.

Sorry for the delay, I updated my email address and never got the confirmation email.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 01:50 PM - 01/02/14 »
Yes, we have issues on 8.1. MS changed something and we stopped working. That fact that running admin works for you is just a coincidence. The problem is timing-related and running as admin happens to be getting the initialization timing just right. It doesn't actually have anything to do with needing admin privileges.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Admin