XIM Community

Games and Motion Sickness  (Read 1785 times)

Offline Zacharybinx34

• MVP
  • Karma [>] 9,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Games and Motion Sickness
« on: 11:54 AM - 12/27/13 »
Why do games like Skyrim give me motion sickness? It is so obnoxious.

I up the FOV (which helps, but then too high gives a fish eye look).
I turn off motion blur, etc. But it still makes em feel funky.

Also, the controls are so bad it drives me nuts. Super unresponsive, clunky, and heavy.

ideas?
I am Spartacus!

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
Re: Games and Motion Sickness
« Reply #1 on: 12:21 PM - 12/27/13 »
some games are best played on PC

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:17 PM - 12/27/13 »
I haven't experienced that in a long time (early 2000s maybe).  it used to only happen to me on FPS games with "indoor" type maps that had lots of tunnels and hallways with low ceilings.  And only if I played for long periods of time.  I'd get a bit of motion sickness combined with a headache, lol.

I don't get it at all with newer games though.

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
« Reply #3 on: 01:24 PM - 12/27/13 »
I've never gotten sick from a game on a normal screen.

I had an Oculus Rift and that thing would make me want to blow chunks in less than 5 minutes.
Edge, XIM 4, Apex, waiting on Nexus

Offline Zacharybinx34

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:43 PM - 12/27/13 »
some games are best played on PC

This is on PC
I am Spartacus!

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Games and Motion Sickness
« Reply #5 on: 05:44 PM - 12/27/13 »

This is on PC

I'm sorry to hear that! Roads can chime in but I have a friend that has that issue and they prescribed him motion sickness drugs which helped apparently there are also some exercises you can do that will build up your tolerance.. It's a bummer though

Offline 1llest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:16 PM - 12/27/13 »
I have the same problem when gaming on anything bigger than a 23". I hate it.

Offline thegurujim

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:14 PM - 12/28/13 »
I used to have motion sickness problems playing fps games on the console because the frame rate is too slow. Only way to fix this is to just keep plying and you'll eventually get used to it.   I also took a ginger pill when I knew I was going to play about 30 min before. Drink a lot of water though when taking the pill. If you don't you'll get a gingery burning sensation for a while that feels like heartburn.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:18 PM - 12/28/13 »
I used to have motion sickness problems playing fps games on the console because the frame rate is too slow. Only way to fix this is to just keep plying and you'll eventually get used to it.   I also took a ginger pill when I knew I was going to play about 30 min before. Drink a lot of water though when taking the pill. If you don't you'll get a gingery burning sensation for a while that feels like heartburn.

I imagine you could also use gingins.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #9 on: 07:09 PM - 12/28/13 »
do you exercise ?

have you talked to a doctor?

you seriously have no clue of the reasons? no hint? it has to be some detail or a set of them and the way to track is to compare games that make you feel it and games that don't.

i have some strong stomach reaction when i go down a ramp, fall or anything similar be it irl or in-game, but no motion sickness issues. but i know very well what causes it. other than that my issue is only largely feel uncomfortable with narrow FOV and depth can also influence it greatly. - i forgot a crucial one, resolution. i can't stand fast movement in low resolution and the bigger the screen the worse the effect.

it goes without saying but your current health and "shape" will have great influence in how your body reacts to stimuli. i can go on fine without eating for a day, but quick movements, heavy effort,etc will reveal the weakness. blood related problems will be easily felt too, as will sugar issues.
soon..

Offline Zacharybinx34

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:55 AM - 12/31/13 »
do you exercise ?

have you talked to a doctor?

you seriously have no clue of the reasons? no hint? it has to be some detail or a set of them and the way to track is to compare games that make you feel it and games that don't.

i have some strong stomach reaction when i go down a ramp, fall or anything similar be it irl or in-game, but no motion sickness issues. but i know very well what causes it. other than that my issue is only largely feel uncomfortable with narrow FOV and depth can also influence it greatly. - i forgot a crucial one, resolution. i can't stand fast movement in low resolution and the bigger the screen the worse the effect.

it goes without saying but your current health and "shape" will have great influence in how your body reacts to stimuli. i can go on fine without eating for a day, but quick movements, heavy effort,etc will reveal the weakness. blood related problems will be easily felt too, as will sugar issues.

I'm 30 years old, athletic body build, in relatively good shape and weight train 3-4 times a week - no cardio though (I know, I know, I need to do cardio, I just HATE it unless it's done via a competitive sport of some sorts).

Otherwise, I guess I don't know what could be causing it.
I am Spartacus!

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:56 AM - 12/31/13 »
[quote author=Zacharybinx34 link=topic=30154.msg376830#msg376830 date=
I'm 30 years old, athletic body build, in relatively good shape and weight train 3-4 times a week - no cardio though (I know, I know, I need to do cardio, I just HATE it unless it's done via a competitive sport of some sorts).

Otherwise, I guess I don't know what could be causing it.
[/quote]

you sound hawt.  Is that how the kids spell hot?.... hurm

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10:09 AM - 12/31/13 »
Funny, I actually noticed this playing BF4 on controller. I think it's just using the stupid controller to be honest. Your character doesn't respond or move like you anticipate and therefor gives you these sensations of jerky movements, messes with your head man!

I played the hell out of Skyrim with the EDGE even made a nice curve for it, never once did I feel any motion sickness.

Long story short, It's not the game bro, It's that god forsaken controller!

Offline Zacharybinx34

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10:37 AM - 12/31/13 »
Funny, I actually noticed this playing BF4 on controller. I think it's just using the stupid controller to be honest. Your character doesn't respond or move like you anticipate and therefor gives you these sensations of jerky movements, messes with your head man!

I played the hell out of Skyrim with the EDGE even made a nice curve for it, never once did I feel any motion sickness.

Long story short, It's not the game bro, It's that god forsaken controller!

... I've said twice now It's on many FPS games on PC.
I am Spartacus!

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:43 AM - 12/31/13 »
Lol...

In that case you're soooo screwed!

;)