XIM Community

XB1 - increase clarity and reduce TV response time - how to in one step  (Read 7138 times)

Offline Pelican

• View Profile
Less response time means it is SLOWER.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#3
XIM3
Xbox One + 360
Logitech G700 Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 v1.0
Spherex Xbox 5.1 Omnipolar Surround Sound System

Offline RookCheck

• MVP
  • Your move.
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: RookCheck
I swear to god I will bring forth a rage so complete in it's fury that your innards would boil from the sheer amount of energy pouring from your monitor.

Rook said everything that can be said.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xaanit
hahahahaha this pelican kid.

Jesus. dude I am not going to argue with you. Less means slower..yes..I know nothing about what I am talking about...

Everyone buy a higher response time monitor. Because Lower the response time and refresh rate the slower it is. Screw the 300+ dollar BENQ get the 30 dollar LCD

BRILLIANT.

Amother perfect example of an individual screwing themselves because they think they know what they are talking about.

HDMI has far more response time than VGA...VGA has almost zero...

Wich is good...where the hell do you idiots find your information?

Offline Pelican

• View Profile
XIM3
Xbox One + 360
Logitech G700 Mouse

Offline PlaDale

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can't go from hdmi to VGA with just a cable, but I guess we'll find out when you buy one
I have a problem with rules and got myself banned. Again.

Offline Pelican

• View Profile
Im not going to click the link dude.

This discussions been had here time and time again.

Do what you want at the end of the day its your TV

If you wanna screw yourself have at it.
I've used composite, s-video, component, vga, and HDMI.

HDMI is far superior.

If you're getting better results with VGA cables than HDMI cables, the problem isn't the HDMI cable. It's your system.

If VGA's analog signal was superior, then DVI and HDMI and the digital signals they carry would not have been developed.

You keep using old tech if it makes you happy, I don't care what you use.
XIM3
Xbox One + 360
Logitech G700 Mouse

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
response time..and input lag..are two different things. But equate to the same problem. actions -- > seeing action.

VGA always has been and always will be faster for input lag eg real response time.

Response time on the monitor with two different inputs is the same as the monitor always is..the monitor is static and does not change.

The signal input however does.

VGA will always be faster

When people talk about response time, they normally mean the time an LCD panel takes to change pixels on screen. This will be the same regardless of the input.

but input lag: how long the video processor chip takes to process the input video and send it to the panel for display. Usually, VGA will make this faster. The reason for that isn't down to the signal itself, but because manufacturers treat the VGA input as a Computer input and typically bypass silly video processing (colour "enhancers" etc) which can slow things down. And yes, that's despite the analogue to digital conversion.

Of course, there are some displays which have minimal lag and are just as quick with either input.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
@Pelican sorry dude you are wrong...

VGA has an input latency of 0-10ms on 99% of TVs
HDMI has an input latency of ~80-200ms on 99% of TVs

To remove this input latency you have to setup your TV to handle the HDMI input in 'game mode' or have to rename the input.  It really depends on the TV model...

So example:
Console: Xbox 360
TV: Samsung 120Hz (Model: LN32B640)

on the 32" B640/650 the input lag with AMP on should be around 70-90ms. Without AMP and in game mode is should be below 50ms ( 30-50ms ).
Using the VGA input will give you 0-10ms.
Using HDMI2 and re-naming it to "PC" should give you around 15-20ms of latency.

Note: this is the case for my TV and that's all I care about at all...

But in general when using  a TV HDMI has a greater input lag than VGA/DVI.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
but input lag: how long the video processor chip takes to process the input video and send it to the panel for display. Usually, VGA will make this faster. The reason for that isn't down to the signal itself, but because manufacturers treat the VGA input as a Computer input and typically bypass silly video processing (colour "enhancers" etc) which can slow things down. And yes, that's despite the analogue to digital conversion.

Of course, there are some displays which have minimal lag and are just as quick with either input.

THIS ^
I love you.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
Im not going to click the link dude.

This discussions been had here time and time again.

Do what you want at the end of the day its your TV

If you wanna screw yourself have at it.
I've used composite, s-video, component, vga, and HDMI.

HDMI is far superior.

If you're getting better results with VGA cables than HDMI cables, the problem isn't the HDMI cable. It's your system.

If VGA's analog signal was superior, then DVI and HDMI and the digital signals they carry would not have been developed.

You keep using old tech if it makes you happy, I don't care what you use.

You are an idiot. I am sorry. One of those people who thinks they know more..and that newer is better, and that any and all knowledge provided to you is ignored in under the assumption that you have a clue.

Stop being so hard headed and learn something you jackass.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
You are an idiot. I am sorry. One of those people who thinks they know more..and that newer is better, and that any and all knowledge provided to you is ignored in under the assumption that you have a clue.

Stop being so hard headed and learn something you jackass.

LOL, you sound like I do yelling at developers and co-ops :)

@Pelican in this situation you are just wrong, you likely don't have all the research and knowledge you think you do on this subject. 

TV's + Gaming = a nightmare (unless you research the input lag and manage it)

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
HDMI video quality often is superior to VGA quality.. but it also usually has higher latency than VGA.

when I switched my 42" tv signal from HDMI to VGA on the xbox, I did notice slightly quicker response when gaming.  I also noticed that the picture lost a bit of contrast, and the colors didn't "pop" as much.  I tweaked some settings and got it pretty close to how the HDMI looked, so I am happy with that.

c'mon guy, take a bit to think about that:  Less response time...  Less time.

less time would be like 1 second vs. 5 seconds.  So how can 1 second be slower than 5 seconds?

I looked at that link you provided.  No where on that page does it say anything about input latency, or lag.  Don't confuse bandwidth (data throughput) with input latency.  That's something completely different

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
HDMI video quality often is superior to VGA quality.. but it also usually has higher latency than VGA.

when I switched my 42" tv signal from HDMI to VGA on the xbox, I did notice slightly quicker response when gaming.  I also noticed that the picture lost a bit of contrast, and the colors didn't "pop" as much.  I tweaked some settings and got it pretty close to how the HDMI looked, so I am happy with that.

c'mon guy, take a bit to think about that:  Less response time...  Less time.

less time would be like 1 second vs. 5 seconds.  So how can 1 second be slower than 5 seconds?

I looked at that link you provided.  No where on that page does it say anything about input latency, or lag.  Don't confuse bandwidth (data throughput) with input latency.  That something completely different

It's Threewheels, he's here!

Yeah, the colors don't pop as much I concur...took me some setting changes to make me okay with it.  Was harder to find people at first.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
and Ninja, at 60hz, pixel response time really doesn't make a difference once it gets below ~15 ms.  at 60hz, there is a new frame drawn every ~16.6ms, so anything below that shouldn't cause ghosting.

at 120 hz, you get a frame every 8.3ms, so you need a response time that is faster than that (which most monitors are nowadays).

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yeah. But I have both monitors..I guess what your saying is I dont really notice a difference because the response time is low enough on both monitors.

I have the BENQ, and this AOC monitor..and honestly the AOC I got for cheap works just fine for me. I like the picture better too (its a borderless monitor so its cool)

But yeah man thanks for the info. At least now I know why I dont see a difference :D