XIM Community

XB1 - increase clarity and reduce TV response time - how to in one step  (Read 7139 times)

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
Step to take: turn off sharpening on your TV...

I was reading about my TV today and what it does when I turn on "game mode"

One thing it did was increase the level of sharpening and increase the refresh rate from 120hrz to 240hrz.

Reading things here recently I see that due to COD ghost running at 720p on XB1 that when XB1 UPSCALES ITS AUTO ADDING A LARGE AMOUNT OF SHARPENING ALREADY.

so I went I to my TV setting turned on game mode and then commensed to turn sharpening to zero...

Since your TV is not preprocessing more sharpening ypou may see improved response... I assure you you will see clearer,  I for one cannot believe the increase in clarity I saw after turning off all added crap and leaving game mode on, dynamic contrast on high and black levels to darkest.

I look forward to seeing if this makes your game clearer like it did for me.
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline PlaDale

• MVP
    • View Profile
Using a higher refresh rate on your tv probably adds lag
I have a problem with rules and got myself banned. Again.

Offline Soulo

• MVP
  • Origin: Soulo13
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Soulo13
  • PSN ID: TheRealSoulo
Or you could just calibrate your TV and leave it at that.  I have done that with my gaming monitor and my gaming projector. Its either pay someone a lot of money to do it professionally and bla bla bla or just buy the Spears and Munsil disc and calibrate it yourself.  Unless your picky and some videophile fanatic the disc will work just fine.

Or an even simpler version that works @#$% good too is Disneys WOW.  I own both the Spears and Munsil (2nd Edition) can also do 3D which I needed for my projector.  The Disney WOW is a much simpler form and if you have never calibrated your monitors/tvs then this is prob the way to go at first.  It will give you a much better understanding of how and why you make the adjustments you will want to make.

EDIT - This will not reduce response time.  However you will have perfect color, deep blacks and bright whites, perfect sharpeness etc etc .... 

Community TS3 Server (US Central) - Console and PC Gaming
Server Address: justgame.teamspeak3.com:8670

you're not a hardcore gamer until you snort coke off your mousepad in the middle of a quake duel
Think to yourself "is this something an idiot would post?" ... If the answer to either of those questions is "yes" then you probably shouldn't post it

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
Or you could just calibrate your TV and leave it at that.  I have done that with my gaming monitor and my gaming projector. Its either pay someone a lot of money to do it professionally and bla bla bla or just buy the Spears and Munsil disc and calibrate it yourself.  Unless your picky and some videophile fanatic the disc will work just fine.

Or an even simpler version that works @#$% good too is Disneys WOW.  I own both the Spears and Munsil (2nd Edition) can also do 3D which I needed for my projector.  The Disney WOW is a much simpler form and if you have never calibrated your monitors/tvs then this is prob the way to go at first.  It will give you a much better understanding of how and why you make the adjustments you will want to make.

EDIT - This will not reduce response time.  However you will have perfect color, deep blacks and bright whites, perfect sharpeness etc etc ....

Pladale... I'm surprised that increasing the refresh rate would add lag.  Why is this?

Also I never have calibrated the TV...  But completely disabling sharpening help soooooo much for clear picture on xb1 at least for me

Offline Boddiebagger

• MVP
  • The Original KWAK'er
    • View Profile
Will  try!

What boddiebagger calls losing a gun fight means, killing the opposing team 3 times over and dying once.

Online He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
Pladale... I'm surprised that increasing the refresh rate would add lag.  Why is this?

TV's don't do high refresh rates like 120hz monitors do (Only some TV's with HDMI v1.4 do by Overclocking) They just take each frame & repeat it 2x (120hz) or 4x (240hz) from a 60hz source.

Basically you are just seen every frame twice or more which adds latency. Disable it & You'll notice a huge difference in responsiveness  :)
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile

TV's don't do high refresh rates like 120hz monitors do (Only some TV's with HDMI v1.4 do by Overclocking) They just take each frame & repeat it 2x (120hz) or 4x (240hz) from a 60hz source.

Basically you are just seen every frame twice or more which adds latency. Disable it & You'll notice a huge difference in responsiveness  :)

O have two TVs...  One 60\120 and one 120\240

Are you saying I should use the 60\120 TV for game with game mode off ssimce it wonrpt repeat frames?

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
60 frames only for console, never ever go higher unless its PC
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
Ummmm, that's two steps.  Not one. 

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Online He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
Play in 60hz mode only ^^

Do you have a "PC Mode" on your TV's? That will make it display in 60hz with all the processing disabled (Lowest latency)
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
No PC mode but I switched it all off and also turned off every feature...   Color is better and so far I'm not sure if its less lasggy...

The fast left to right now introduce blur.....

The aim assist seems to work better for some reason, almost like I lock on easier.

It looks better and I see detail tha t I was missing.....

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
Reporting that game mode did make it worse on so many ways.  Can say that sharpening off does help.

I can see and kill much easier, color is Mich better, and details that were missing are nklw there.  With game more on it was similar to Xbox 360.....  Off I cannot believe the difference.

Wow, I'm so glad I made this thread. And you guys responded

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
Able to see and kill much easier... Getting a fair kd increase

Offline Pelican

• View Profile
The calibration you mentioned is built into the Xbox One. It will walk you through the settings step by step.
XIM3
Xbox One + 360
Logitech G700 Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 v1.0
Spherex Xbox 5.1 Omnipolar Surround Sound System

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
Game mode is suppose to turn off things like High refresh rates and special color modes. These things make you TV lag.

99% of TVs do not truly run at a higher Refresh rate. They add some kind of filter to it that adds a buffering frame in between frames that introduces more lag. I think the exception is some really high end Sony's.

Some TV's have a Game setting for making Colors settings more contrasty (is that a word). You can turn it on or off it want matter.
« Last Edit: 09:46 PM - 12/22/13 by UnRyValD »

"Ouch, That hurt!" yo face