XIM Community

Reach out to disabled / handicapped gamers when marketing the XIM4  (Read 8266 times)

Offline PlaDale

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hey you know why not create a disabled gamers section here on the boards where people can ask questions / share their XIM user experience stories?  It would help with awareness and people like myself could help those with questions.  What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea and I will.

toys, it depends how much "host processing" is required.

That would be nice. It's kind of hard to find information right now.  I've been trying to come up with a setup for a TBI patient at work with hemiparesis. He currently just plays one handed with a PS4 or PS3 controller.

It would be great if there was more flight stick support in the future. Something like the Logitech extreme 3d pro with a twist motion where both analog sticks could be bound to it would be magnificent
I have a problem with rules and got myself banned. Again.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
you need pedals with hemiparesis that one that looks like a skateboard it has four directions. Publix tried it I think.
Crusade atm: none

Offline zebie

• View Profile
You guys have no idea the difference the XIM3 made to my gaming life on consoles, without my XIM I would not have been able to play competitive FPS games on the Xbox 360.  I know a lot of you might be in the same position, however in your case itís more of a control method preferenceÖ you could if you wanted spend the time to master any control scheme (Controller) where as that is literally impossible for me.  Can I use a controller? Yes.  That being said my Cerebral Palsy prevents me from ever mastering such a control method because my hands try to mimic each other.  You can imagine trying to control looking / moving with two thumbs wanting to make the same motions limits the amount of actual control I have over my character(s) in-game, casual gaming I donít tend to have any issues but stepping into FPS games I am at a clear disadvantage I cannot control. 

I just want you to know your device has made me a very happy individual, and I am sure that there are many people in a similar position to that of mine who would / will appreciate the XIM4 when it is ready.  Consider trying to reach out to disabled and / or handicapped gamers, your device is more than what most consider it (A means to destroy console gamers) and I will be doing my best to show that the XIM4 is a legitimate tool that can improve the lives of disabled / handicapped everywhere.

Thank you for your time,

Kevin

I echo all you say, I got Cerebral Palsy too, it effects all my left side and it very annoying when my left hand mimics the my right one

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: SG Kevin D Lee
  • PSN ID: Kevin-D-Lee
Hey you know why not create a disabled gamers section here on the boards where people can ask questions / share their XIM user experience stories?  It would help with awareness and people like myself could help those with questions.  What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea and I will.

toys, it depends how much "host processing" is required.

That would be nice. It's kind of hard to find information right now.  I've been trying to come up with a setup for a TBI patient at work with hemiparesis. He currently just plays one handed with a PS4 or PS3 controller.

It would be great if there was more flight stick support in the future. Something like the Logitech extreme 3d pro with a twist motion where both analog sticks could be bound to it would be magnificent

That is a great example for the type of devices I spoke of in regards to allow the XIM4 to support different types of controllers instead of only being a Keyboard / Mouse adapter.

Offline OneThumb

• View Profile
Kevin, thank you for your post. In fact, one of the things I'm most proud of concerning this project is what it gives gamers like yourself. I've received many PMs similar to what you are saying here. I've been in contact with Able Gamers and would like nothing more than XIM4 to be *the* device for gamers with disabilities.

That said, lets talk features. I want to hear about all features our community is interested in concerning Accessibility.

the simple feature to map the thumbsticks to southpaw.. something you said you were going to do on the edge then backed down from. Because it only affected 2-3 ppl i guess it wasn't important.

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
Kevin, thank you for your post. In fact, one of the things I'm most proud of concerning this project is what it gives gamers like yourself. I've received many PMs similar to what you are saying here. I've been in contact with Able Gamers and would like nothing more than XIM4 to be *the* device for gamers with disabilities.

That said, lets talk features. I want to hear about all features our community is interested in concerning Accessibility.

the simple feature to map the thumbsticks to southpaw.. something you said you were going to do on the edge then backed down from. Because it only affected 2-3 ppl i guess it wasn't important.

As a lefty myself this would be nice, however I have never used the "southpaw" setting on a controller if a game offered such a setting.  I am one of the most left-handed only people you may ever speak to and I can honestly say this feature for me would be a waste.  Most of us adapt to the righty style.

Offline LolPop

• I am potato
  • MVP
    • View Profile
ive a gaming PC , a laptop , xbox , ps2 , xbox 360 , xbox one and a ps4 all at my house , im a complete nerd :D

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
ive a gaming PC , a laptop , xbox , ps2 , xbox 360 , xbox one and a ps4 all at my house , im a complete nerd :D

Same thing, though add a Wii U to that list.  I am a game designer though so I like to know what I am working with.

Offline OneThumb

• View Profile

As a lefty myself this would be nice, however I have never used the "southpaw" setting on a controller if a game offered such a setting.  I am one of the most left-handed only people you may ever speak to and I can honestly say this feature for me would be a waste.  Most of us adapt to the righty style.

it more benefits those without a right hand.

Offline bruin126

• View Profile
I have duchenne muscular dystrophy and thanks to xim I can console game again. so thank you xim developers.

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
I have duchenne muscular dystrophy and thanks to xim I can console game again. so thank you xim developers.

I had to google that and now wish I never did.  I hope you are doing fine.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog

You will see that feature (i.e. mouse mapped to left stick instead of right) in the info released on Monday.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Chance

• MVP
  • I use the XIM because I broke my right thumb.
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
  • Gamertag: Chance SL
  • PSN ID: Chance_SL

it more benefits those without a right hand.

Are you OneHandMan, or is it a mere coincidence? lol
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
---------------------------------------------------
Mouse-pad: SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)
Delay: 120

PC & Xbox 360 Slim 320 GB HDD
---------------------------------------------------

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chance_SL/

PC: Yes.
360: Yes.
PS3: No.
PS4: Maybe.
XBONE: Never.

Offline doc911

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: doc911dr
I am also one of the gamers that cannot operate the controller sticks and, due to my disabilities, am unable to play any controller for more than a minute or 2 if at all.

I rarely if ever post on this forum without a thanks to OBsIV for all he has done for my gaming lifestyle. Without the XIM Edge, I would be in a darker hole than I am now. By the way, before I forget "Thanks again OBsIV for my Edge."

I do not buy games at all until they are on the list of confirmed supported games. I get excited when I read things are being released but I patiently and happily wait for MIST and the guys to get a good translator up and perfect and then I get my game and play. And then I have my fun.

My disabilities are not as bad as many of you but I am not able to play at all without my XIM. I would gladly pay twice what I did for it (glad it was very reasonable priced though:)).

I see no additional features that are not currently under development. My big issue (and it is minor in the scheme of things) is the light system on the XIM Edge. I cannot differentiate some of the subtle colour differences when switching between games. I bind keys to my G13 for each game but that only allows me to keep about 4 games in the hopper at once as I use the M keys to bind games. I tried cycle switching through the colours but I am never sure I am on the right one. Perhaps a number system would be cool but I am sure you are way ahead of me somehow.

I do not think a marketing campaign is needed for this as most people that play despite their disability will or have already found XIM. I tell people about it whenever I can but I think a good google search lands us all here in the end.

doc

Offline bladeyama

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: bladeyama
I lost my left hand in the war and some brain damage, which makes me constantly moving sort of like turrets. It is impossible for me to use the controller for very long or to be any good with it.  I can play racing Sims with the wheel.  I can not control games like BF4 or COD I love those games use to play them a lot but cant anymore hopefully when the XIM4 comes out I will have more fun.  I WILL BUY THIS THING.

Thank you guys for being so kind to make this.