XIM Community

Reach out to disabled / handicapped gamers when marketing the XIM4  (Read 8255 times)

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: SG Kevin D Lee
  • PSN ID: Kevin-D-Lee
You guys have no idea the difference the XIM3 made to my gaming life on consoles, without my XIM I would not have been able to play competitive FPS games on the Xbox 360.  I know a lot of you might be in the same position, however in your case itís more of a control method preferenceÖ you could if you wanted spend the time to master any control scheme (Controller) where as that is literally impossible for me.  Can I use a controller? Yes.  That being said my Cerebral Palsy prevents me from ever mastering such a control method because my hands try to mimic each other.  You can imagine trying to control looking / moving with two thumbs wanting to make the same motions limits the amount of actual control I have over my character(s) in-game, casual gaming I donít tend to have any issues but stepping into FPS games I am at a clear disadvantage I cannot control. 

So why donít I stick to PC gaming if I want Mouse / Keyboard support?  The same reasons many of you have both a gaming PC and Console.  I love variety, I want to experience all that there is in the gaming world and that is the number one reason I went looking for a solution to my problem years ago which of course resulted in my finding the wonderful XIM3. 

I just want you to know your device has made me a very happy individual, and I am sure that there are many people in a similar position to that of mine who would / will appreciate the XIM4 when it is ready.  Consider trying to reach out to disabled and / or handicapped gamers, your device is more than what most consider it (A means to destroy console gamers) and I will be doing my best to show that the XIM4 is a legitimate tool that can improve the lives of disabled / handicapped everywhere.

Thank you for your time,

Kevin

Offline Uber Pooch

• MVP
    • View Profile
Before I got my XIM3 back when Halo Reach came out I had to have a handicapped parking sticker attached to my 360 console.  My pre-XIM3 K/D was .95. Post-XIM3 was 1.71.

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
Before I got my XIM3 back when Halo Reach came out I had to have a handicapped parking sticker attached to my 360 console.  My pre-XIM3 K/D was .95. Post-XIM3 was 1.71.

That made me laugh, I suppose in a way everyone using the XIM feels "handicapped" when using a console controller. 

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Kevin, thank you for your post. In fact, one of the things I'm most proud of concerning this project is what it gives gamers like yourself. I've received many PMs similar to what you are saying here. I've been in contact with Able Gamers and would like nothing more than XIM4 to be *the* device for gamers with disabilities.

That said, lets talk features. I want to hear about all features our community is interested in concerning Accessibility.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Chance

• MVP
  • I use the XIM because I broke my right thumb.
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
  • Gamertag: Chance SL
  • PSN ID: Chance_SL
You guys have no idea the difference the XIM3 made to my gaming life on consoles, without my XIM I would not have been able to play competitive FPS games on the Xbox 360.  I know a lot of you might be in the same position, however in your case itís more of a control method preferenceÖ you could if you wanted spend the time to master any control scheme (Controller) where as that is literally impossible for me.  Can I use a controller? Yes.  That being said my Cerebral Palsy prevents me from ever mastering such a control method because my hands try to mimic each other.  You can imagine trying to control looking / moving with two thumbs wanting to make the same motions limits the amount of actual control I have over my character(s) in-game, casual gaming I donít tend to have any issues but stepping into FPS games I am at a clear disadvantage I cannot control. 

Before my accident I had previously absolutely mastered a controller, I'd maybe've put the challenge on some people on here, but I broke my *right* thumb & fractured the right side of my skull (& died) when I fell from a speeding car, spent 5 months in hospital when I was trying to play a game like CoD, I had *appalling* aiming, my average KDR went from in the 4s to 0.5, which is why I was pleased with XIM, I tried other adaptors but the way mouse movement was handled was appalling.

Now I've gone to PC full-time, yeah, I still use a controller for games like Arkham Origins, but for games where button pressing is easier than key bashing.
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
---------------------------------------------------
Mouse-pad: SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)
Delay: 120

PC & Xbox 360 Slim 320 GB HDD

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chance_SL/

PC: Yes.
360: Yes.
PS3: No.
PS4: Maybe.
XBONE: Never.

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
Kevin, thank you for your post. In fact, one of the things I'm most proud of concerning this project is what it gives gamers like yourself. I've received many PMs similar to what you are saying here. I've been in contact with Able Gamers and would like nothing more than XIM4 to be *the* device for gamers with disabilities.

That said, lets talk features. I want to hear about all features our community is interested in concerning Accessibility.

The XIM3 was / is perfect for my needs, improving the XIM4 for further accessibility is really only a matter of working with other groups creating devices for people with a disability.  The XIM has always been about mouse / keyboard support, perhaps it is time to expand upon that and over time allow special controllers that were designed for the last generation systems to be used on the X1 / PS4.  I am sure if we look hard enough we will find some controllers designed for severe disabilities (One handed controller) that were created for use with the Xbox 360 and / or PS3.  Making those controllers functional again (If at all possible) would be a nice gesture on your part. 

Like I said thinking of features to improve the already great XIM3 is hard, I am fortunate when it comes to the severity of my disability and I can be considered for the most part ďNormalĒ.  Continue to make the best Mouse / Keyboard adapter out there and you guys will be doing more than most ever do.  Allowing the XIM4 to change the type of controller being used would only be a bonus.  Any new disabled controllers released would be made compatible with the X1 / PS4 (I would think) anyways. 

Offline Rambos_BFF

• View Profile

This guy is actually pretty good too. Amazing considering the circumstances.

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile

This guy is actually pretty good too. Amazing considering the circumstances.

Wish I was that badass, my problem seems trivial compared to his.

Offline Chance

• MVP
  • I use the XIM because I broke my right thumb.
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
  • Gamertag: Chance SL
  • PSN ID: Chance_SL
Yeah, mine too! XD
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Mouse-pad: SteelSeries QcK Gaming Mouse Pad (Black)
Delay: 120

PC & Xbox 360 Slim 320 GB HDD

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chance_SL/

PC: Yes.
360: Yes.
PS3: No.
PS4: Maybe.
XBONE: Never.

Offline Jihad

• View Profile
@#$% i thought i was pretty impressive playing missing a thumb .

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hey you know why not create a disabled gamers section here on the boards where people can ask questions / share their XIM user experience stories?  It would help with awareness and people like myself could help those with questions.  What do you think?

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
obs one thing that would be epic for handipeople is to support some form of head tracking.
be it webcam looking at a head/hat, or something like the built in head tracker for zeiss cinemizers.

there are also a ton of head trackers we use in R/C to pan & tilt cameras around. they cost around $40-70usd take nominal 5v & a couple ma to power. they output their stream via PPM pulsing (you can read that with a microphone input if you must). some can output in standards like nema (tho its rare & nobody uses that)
just attach the box & wiring to something you can wear on your head & there ya go. i have this one.

Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline Kevin-D-Lee

• MVP
    • View Profile
obs one thing that would be epic for handipeople is to support some form of head tracking.
be it webcam looking at a head/hat, or something like the built in head tracker for zeiss cinemizers.

there are also a ton of head trackers we use in R/C to pan & tilt cameras around. they cost around $40-70usd take nominal 5v & a couple ma to power. they output their stream via PPM pulsing (you can read that with a microphone input if you must). some can output in standards like nema (tho its rare & nobody uses that)
just attach the box & wiring to something you can wear on your head & there ya go. i have this one.

What do you use head tracking for in games?  Some examples?

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Hey you know why not create a disabled gamers section here on the boards where people can ask questions / share their XIM user experience stories?  It would help with awareness and people like myself could help those with questions.  What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea and I will.

toys, it depends how much "host processing" is required.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yes I read about those Zeiss it is isnt it? Its not really headtracking like the TrackIR but a mouse input by moving the head.

I believe Tracking is driverless, not sure. Toys tell us.
Crusade atm: none

Admin