XIM Community

Durovis Dive. (*cheap oculus rift*)  (Read 5458 times)

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
Re: Durovis Dive. (*cheap oculus rift*)
« Reply #15 on: 05:22 AM - 02/08/14 »
New oculus rift kits will have a kinect like camera that will track your motion.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/heads-on-with-the-oculus-rift

One of the things about the oculus 1.0 that made me want to blow chunks was the awkward head tracking. I think the 2.0 with the camera and less latency will make a big difference. I might even buy a new dev kit and try it out. I sold my old kit for more than I bought it for on ebay.

the head tracking is exactly the same on the new dev kit PLUS positional head tracking done via a normal webcam. it's actually using the same concept as the PS Move and not Kinect just fyi, as in kinect = IR tracking and Move = visual reference tracking. notice the little balls in the new dev kit, those are the references the software is tracking via normal cam.

the problem you were experiencing in the first dev kit is because there was no positional tracking and so it was only tracking part of the head movement. the lack of "depth tracking" will mean that movements on screen will not match your real movements and your brain will not react well to it..

btw, i realise the date in the article is recent but that's really "old" news you know.
soon..

Offline Xog

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07:17 AM - 02/08/14 »
so no need for hydra? Sweet!

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #17 on: 07:45 AM - 02/08/14 »
so no need for hydra? Sweet!

what are you talking about? for positional tracking? if so, it seems so, but it's quite too early to tell. current positional tracking was developed in the Valve partnership, point being to make it as accessible as possible without sacrificing the purpose's integrity..

the STEM is expensive, for those that won't have it already and even for one's that do it's like $50 a module,so it would go against that.. but the current implementation of positional tracking does not play well with visual occlusion, so it will be an experience meant only for a "sitting in front of the monitor" setup..

am i the only one who would like to spin around in the chair to look around in 360 ? it's not needed though, as long as we still get a cam controlling right analog stick or something. but not having to control the cam in any way but with the head would open up a lot of possibilities for devs to create new control schemes with more functionality.. imagine 2 weapon wheels ! i think that would help skyrim and such..
soon..

Offline Boltman

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09:18 AM - 02/08/14 »
When is the @#$% Rift actually coming out?

I've been reading about this @#$% thing and watching video for seemingly years now.

Thanks for the impressions publix, I was considering buying this cheaper alternative but I think I'll pass now.
Keyboard replacement: Sony Move Navigation Controller l Mouse: Logitech G9x l Mousepad: MM400 l Controller: PS4 l XIM: Edge l Gaming Monitor: 24" BenQ RL2450HT prad.de rated 4 of 5 stars (gut!) l Headset: Sony Gold Wireless Headset

My config/setup: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=25362.msg306559#msg306559

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #19 on: 09:42 AM - 02/08/14 »
When is the @#$% Rift actually coming out?

I've been reading about this @#$% thing and watching video for seemingly years now.

Thanks for the impressions publix, I was considering buying this cheaper alternative but I think I'll pass now.

we would all like to know that as well. it should be 2014 or 2015. but that's a really stupid range to give you, i know, it's the facts though.

EVE Valkyrie is the first game going to be released that will be officially "co-published" by Oculus and all and it's supposed to come out 2014. some are saying that the Rift will come along side it since having a game come out before the device that is made for the device would be a bit crazy..

i personally think 2015, because Carmack said 4k screens and the price for that should not be low enough this year..
soon..

Offline UnRyValD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: UnRyValD
  • PSN ID: Judea33
« Reply #20 on: 02:56 PM - 02/08/14 »
New oculus rift kits will have a kinect like camera that will track your motion.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/06/heads-on-with-the-oculus-rift

One of the things about the oculus 1.0 that made me want to blow chunks was the awkward head tracking. I think the 2.0 with the camera and less latency will make a big difference. I might even buy a new dev kit and try it out. I sold my old kit for more than I bought it for on ebay.

the head tracking is exactly the same on the new dev kit PLUS positional head tracking done via a normal webcam. it's actually using the same concept as the PS Move and not Kinect just fyi, as in kinect = IR tracking and Move = visual reference tracking. notice the little balls in the new dev kit, those are the references the software is tracking via normal cam.

the problem you were experiencing in the first dev kit is because there was no positional tracking and so it was only tracking part of the head movement. the lack of "depth tracking" will mean that movements on screen will not match your real movements and your brain will not react well to it..

btw, i realise the date in the article is recent but that's really "old" news you know.

The head tracking is not exactly the same. You can hear him in the video and see on the screen doing angles like straight up and down. Angles that the old rift couldn't do.

You can't use it unless its on your head so why does it matter if it tracks like the move or the kinect?

"Ouch, That hurt!" yo face

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #21 on: 03:10 PM - 02/08/14 »
The head tracking is not exactly the same. You can hear him in the video and see on the screen doing angles like straight up and down. Angles that the old rift couldn't do.

the head tracking is exactly the same on the new dev kit as the old one PLUS positional head tracking

there i made it simpler. as a comparison the old kit is like a car and tracking is like that car working and moving. new head positional tracking is like having nitro on top of what was already there before, the car moving.

You can't use it unless its on your head so why does it matter if it tracks like the move or the kinect?
what does it matter if i kill you with a clean headshot or after i skin you alive and cut burn your flesh 1 inch at a time until you finally die due to lack of working organs after a few months ? the result is the same, you die. ::)

it matters, a lot. the implications of one tech or the other are very different. like kinect would mean latency issues and allow a lot of tracking abilities but much imprecision. Move tech has a lot of problems with low lighting but it can have very good latency due to it's simplicity which also means it will be limited. etc etc.

soon..

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #22 on: 04:32 PM - 02/08/14 »
forgot to mention an important detail, kinect would allow 360 tacking, current tech does not as far as i can tell.. that's a big difference depending on content and input devices at hand...
soon..

Offline Lord Of The Sith

• MVP
  • Made up from mostly non toxic materials.
    • View Profile
Click > Here < for my COD4:RM / BOPs3 XIM4 Setup.

XIM4: FAQ - Downloads - Hardware Compatibility

Admin