XIM Community

XIM2/360 Help warranty?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xaanit
XIM2/360 Help warranty?
« on: 02:51 PM - 11/14/13 »
I dunno I am sure this has probably been posted somewhere and I missed it. Or maybe I am doing something wrong...maybe my USB hub...not sure.

Basically I have my XIM2 since the first batch. I have had zero problems and I have been using this thing non stop for years. It still looks brand new because it in fact has its own custom stand on my desk I built...noone touches it. it never moves. It just sits there and does its magic.

However. As of late when I am playing it will feel perfect. Then all of a sudden it gets super floaty. My guy starts turning in a random direction...then bam. Software says "can not query mouse / keyboard state" then stops functioning.

Sometimes simply clicking the window to close it and relauching the XIM app it works fine.

Othertimes it will load and say "running" but not work. I then have to close the xim software, unplug the "xim cable" the white one for the chip from my USB hub. Plug it back in then restart the software and all is fine again.

I guess what I am asking is, is my XIM2 failing me? Is the chip finally giving up? I mean I have used this small non powered usb hub for several years.

The laptop I use for the software is an old clunker. It just sits there and its only purpose is to run the XIM software. So its not doing anything crazy as I do not think I have opened a webpage on it in two years. Its basically my XIM dedicated laptop...lol.

I am just worried that my beloved xim 2 is going to die on me...I have an XIM3 but I prefer the 2....and I do not want an edge because I cant use my standards...:/

If it is dieing however....or decides to give up the ghost entirely...is there any chance I can get it repaired? I know it was a lifetime warranty at one point..is that still the case? I can send you the controller obviously as I know the chip will only fit within certain models.

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Re: XIM2/360 Help warranty?
« Reply #1 on: 03:03 PM - 11/14/13 »
I know that the solder points on the xim board can get loose or fail.  Open up the controller and check those.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:22 PM - 11/14/13 »
start the xim app and give us the error code, mist might still memorize the corresponding fix for you then

other than that the xim360 chip has a lifetime warranty if i recall correctly, that doesnt include the solders though
one of the main problems with xim360s is that the solder points below the analog stick cases are getting quite some pressure from the case there and can get destroyed over time

definitely open your case and check them
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:47 PM - 11/14/13 »
Yeah but I get no error code really it doesnt crash...its like it just can query mouse and keyboard state...but simply restarting the software fixes it..this is not a constant problem..just every...couple of hours i have to go through the plug / unplug process.

Just seems to happen at the most inopportune times is all...i mean it doesnt take long..plug / unplug relaunch software and im good to go...

Just wonder why it started happening. I may just remove the top half of the controller. My sticks dont work anyways.

I never pick the thing up or press a button on it period...I may be able to just take the top off and let it sit.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:52 PM - 11/14/13 »
my xim360 knowledge is not very present anymore, i hope mist can take over

however i also sometimes had the floaty feeling after playing a certain time
i reduced the refresh rate and it didnt come back anymore
(from 145 refresh to 120 refresh in my case)

maybe this helps you too
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:43 PM - 11/14/13 »
I believe XIM2 had a limited 1 year warranty so you wouldn't be covered unfortunately.

I'm a bit busy right now but I would do as Odin suggested. Also it's common for a solder joint to join over time because of the pressure from a divot on the controller. If that's joined it's as simple as separating the solder points. I don't remember the symptoms of this though so don't go doing anything right away.

See the two points in the center and the indentation? This customer had intermittent issues if I remember right, but it was worse in other cases. Take a peak if you don't mind opening the controller.

I'll be on later tonight.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:13 AM - 11/15/13 »
    Ok I've brushed up on my XIM2 support threads. It's most likely jointed but I want to bring up..

• Have you installed new software since this began?
    • AV software was been a problem and produced some of this behavior before. Disable it
    • Having your mic receive volume high could cause aiming anomalies but it wouldn't cause your XIM to disconnect.
    • Does this computer have an ATI card and if so have you updated the drivers recently?

Now if the answer is no then I would open your controller because yes, users have reported drop outs and clunky or floaty aiming when it's jointed. Another common issue with a joint is random button presses. Let us know if this is it. If you do end up having to fix this you may want to remove the piece of plastic on the inside of the controller shell that causes this problem.
« Last Edit: 12:27 AM - 11/15/13 by mist4fun »

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:41 PM - 11/20/13 »
Yeah sorry for the slow reply.

I will check it out. I will try to open it but it makes me nervous as if I remove that pressure all hell is gonna break loose in my controller or something lol.

Anyways. Nah this laptop hasnt been used or touched for anything other than my XIM (it has literally sat in the same spot on my desk for quite some time...its an old toshiba laptop that I seriously havent used at all for anything in years)

It just launches the XIM software.

The symptoms are simple..I will be playing ..everything works fine. For..an hour or so. No issues whatsoever.

Then. It will suddenly get REALLY sensitive..like I barely touch it and it moves very very fast. If I immediately ctrl-esc the software and relaunch all is well for a while again...

However. If I do not immediately close the software...about 20 seconds after the sensitivity increase. My guy will do a perfectly horizontal...Id say about 90 degrees spin to the left...then i get the:

"Could not qury mouse and keyboard state cancelling translation" or whatever error..

once this error pops up I have a 50% chance I can just close and relaunch to resume normal operation.

The other 50% of the time I will try to relaunch the software and it will immediately go to "can not quey mouse and keyboard state cancelling translation"...regardless of how many times I launch it.

To fix this I then have to unplug the white cable (the XIM Cable) and plug it back in. Once I have done this I can then relaunch and everything resumes as normal.

Now keep in mind this is only mildly annoying sometimes as everything is right next to me and it takes less than a minute to resolve. However...it just always seems to happen at the most inopportune times...

Eg. I am the last alive in a SnD Gamebattles or Clan vs Clan and I just go prone with the controller hoping noone sees me while I reset my software.

Oh I guess I should add that...all button inputs fro mthe controller obviously continue to work during this time..obviously my sticks do not because I have mine disconnected as to not ever jack up my calibration.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05:45 PM - 11/20/13 »
If you don't have another pc to test on first it wouldn't hurt to open the controller. Obviously open it slowly but I don't remember any loose springs on the verge of shooting out when opened.

Are you trying to revive your XIM2 for macros? If not your XIM3 uses the same standard translation, it's literally the same thing but with better synchronization between your console and input devices and you don't need a pc. Just a thought :)

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06:00 PM - 11/20/13 »
I have my XIM3 with standards. And it works fine. I just use it at work most of the time and we have been screwing with configs and look mechanics with our own games to better work around the xim....

however.

I can use a belkin for macros on the XIM3 so that is not the only reason. The other reason was at one point I just used my XIM2 while I let the kiddos use the XIM3 because it was easier for them to understand and operate.

I just dont change or touch anything on my desk to often :D

Again it really isnt a complaint. I just think its weird it just chokes out on me. It just started happening over the last 6 months or so.

I have taken the controller apart before. I am not worried about the springs. Just concerned that maybe the pressure on the thing is the only thing keeping it working :P

I will give it a shot this weekend..I gotta dig out my super tiny screwdrivers.

Admin