XIM Community

advice on next gaming monitor  (Read 9517 times)

Offline damstr

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: advice on next gaming monitor
« Reply #30 on: 10:43 PM - 03/28/14 »
Personally I'm waiting for the g sync kits to restock. I just picked up an Asus VG248QE monitor and it looks amazing....well except for the colors. Banding is an issue with darker colors like black. My old LG IPS panel it wasn't even noticeable.

I just the Lightboost hack and it makes the colors look even more washed out even @ 100% brightness. Thankfully the Toasty hack has a toggle so I can switch between lightboost @ 120Hz and regular 144Hz.
XIM APEX | Xbox One X | LG 27UK600-W 27" IPS LED 4K | Logitech G Pro | Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | DT 990 Premium | ModMic 4 | Logitech Z-5500's

Offline willthetech

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05:26 AM - 03/29/14 »
I got the Asus VG248QE  2 months ago and I can't be happier. Colors are not  the greatest but PC gaming is great at 144 hz. Although consoles can only refresh at 60hz, you still get the benefits of the 1 ms gtg. Another thing is the inputs, My PC is on DP, my ps4 is on HDMI and the X1 is on dvi (hdmi adpater), so it takes care of all of my devices.

Offline PS3_UK

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07:35 AM - 03/29/14 »
For console only gaming I'd go with the Eizo Foris FS2333. Next to no input lag and the picture quality/ colours are much better than the BenQ monitors (and I think a lot of the Asus monitors use the same panels as the BenQs). It's an IPS panel whereas the BenQs use TFT (worse picture).

I've recently moved to the FS2333 from the BenQ XL2420T and it is noticeably better.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08:04 AM - 03/29/14 »
Just checked on prad.de, I mean we dont take for given stuff we hear do we,  and I can confirm the Eizo is a @#$% low to non-existent inputlag monitor.
Crusade atm: none

Offline PS3_UK

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08:51 AM - 03/29/14 »
I got it because I was sick and tired of dying because of failing to spot people in CoD due to very "washed out" colours. There is a very noticeable difference in quality between this monitor and the BenQ TFT panels - Eizo are known for their ultra high end graphics monitors. Although unfortunately it's not a panacea - I still sometimes fail to spot people - I think it's just the way Ghosts is.

Not one for PC though as it's only 60Hz. Also a bit on the pricey side.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08:57 AM - 03/29/14 »
What I just cant stand is to pay for 3D and 120hz when playing on console. These monitors are not worth more than 150 Euro but they want you to pay 300.

Offline PS3_UK

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09:33 AM - 03/29/14 »
What I just cant stand is to pay for 3D and 120hz when playing on console. These monitors are not worth more than 150 Euro but they want you to pay 300.

Yes, the Eizo is a bit more expensive even than most of the 3D/ 120Hz monitors but the extra money is going into extra quality which is actually usable on console, not extra useless refresh rate. :)

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02:30 PM - 03/29/14 »
Yeah, for console it's superb, wish they had a 27 inch version too

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #38 on: 10:43 PM - 03/29/14 »
rl2455hm = TN panel
FG2421 = VA panel

in the end I love IPS http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=30376.45

Offline ashleydoll86

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04:56 AM - 03/31/14 »
Another vouche for the VG248QE. I got it over a BenQ because I kept reading how bad BenQs are with PC gaming and that they have consoles heavily in mind for most of their products.

Not sure how true that is, but I got the VG248QE when I saw open box versions for sale for 180 bucks on Newegg with a 30 day money back promise. The one I got may as well have literally been brand new, stickers were still on it and I don't think it ever got turned on at all frankly. Best deal I've found in a while.

I don't notice color issues but I think that is probably because I have never gamed no a non-TN panel. All TN panels put out less than ideal colors and viewing angles from what I know, with the tradeoff of superb response time. The VG248QE is one of those monitors that is very close to a CRT monitor in terms of response time.

EIther way I am happy with it and it works amazing for both console and PC gaming. I have not had any issues in any game with spotting enemy players, so I don't know what to say about that, other than everyone has different eyes and reaction times on a personal level. My eyesight outside of about 3 feet is utter crap and I may as well be blind, but I've gamed in front a monitor for a very long portion of my life and my eyes are really well trained to noticing fine details in that environment.

I think even if I had thousands of bucks to blow on a monitor, I'd still go with a TN panel, I really want to have the best response time possible, even though it may not actually matter whether I have 1ms or 5ms. But I do know having the 1ms does not hurt :)
Xbox One

Xbox 360 S

Gaming PC - Ivy Bridge 3570K @ 4.5ghz, ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16 gigs G.Skill Sniper Series, EVGA GTX 760 4GB @ 1155 clock 1700 memory 1220 boost, XFX 850w PSU, sitting inside a CM HAF 922

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 1ms, 144hz

MKB: Steel Series Sensei, Steel Series Merc Stealth, Steel Series QcK

Audio: Earforce DSS, Samson SR850 headphones

Mobile: Nokia Lumia 1520, Microsoft Surface Pro 2 64GB w/ type cover

Gaming roots: Wolf 3D, Doom, Half-life 1, Diablo 1 and 2, Ultima Online, CS 1.3, RTCW/ET, DAoC, Deus Ex, Goldeneye, Halo CE (PC version)

Offline Oxxy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09:24 AM - 04/01/14 »
Yep if your not playing a game at 120/144 fps than those high refresh rates dont mean jack. For console go with a 60hz with low input lag. Cross reference your options with prad.de because manufacturers dont list input lag which is very different from response time. 

Now if you were gonna also use it for pc gaming at high framerates i would say go for the 120hz or 144hz but if your only gaming on console its a waste of money that could be used for other gaming accessories that will bring more enjoyment to your gaming.

Pretty much this ^^

I'm looking to get a 144hz monitor (will probably go with one of the benq XL models) for csgo considering I get 200-250 fps in game. I heard it's a really big difference going from 60hz to 120/144hz too.

But yeah for console it's useless, just get any low response time monitor. Sticking with benq or even asus is probably a good idea if you can.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11:09 PM - 04/21/14 »
S-IPS is the evolution of the IPS panels lower response time.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 12:10 PM - 08/20/18 »
those links are from 2013, a monitor you can eg consider is the benq rl2455
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central