XIM Community

How do I map my Joystick, Throttle and Rudder Pedals to the XIM2?  (Read 4821 times)

Offline geo111

• View Profile
I have a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (Joystick and Throttle controls), Rudder Pedals and a XIM2.

How do I tell the XIM software to look at all of these analog inputs? All the XIM Configure software can see is the joystick.

I'm playing Battlefield 1943 and flying in this game would be so much more fun if I could use my HOTAS and Rudder pedals.

Info on the Cougar: http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=11&PlatformID=5

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
XIM supports DirectInput joysticks, and, can use the primary X and Y axis for analog movement, and, all digital buttons. It looks like your joystick has many more analog features.

What does your joystick look like when you view it under game controllers control panel applet in Windows?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline geo111

• View Profile
Good morning OBsIV,

Joystick = X and Y

Throttle = Z

Rudder = RZ (might be ZR or Rotational Z.)

Here is an article on the Cougar's analog axes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thrustmaster-hotas-cougar,458-5.html

This evening, I'll take a screen shot of the game controller applet.

« Last Edit: 09:07 AM - 07/10/09 by geo111 »

Offline geo111

• View Profile
When I open the Game Controllers applet:

After clicking on Properties:

Let me know if you need more information.

What do you think? Can you add the support for the throttle and rudder axes? If you can do it, will you?

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Sorry, XIM doesn't support it (rather, it focuses on devices like the Logitech G13 and Saitek CCU). But, XIM includes an SDK so that other people can adapt alternate input devices (like yours). There are a few other programs out there that take advantage of the SDK (as one was mentioned here).

Offline slayersteve

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x SLAYER Steve
OBsIV, you say other programs (plural) but as far as I can tell, xod is the only one... am I missing some others? xod's s/w does the trick for me but I'm definitely open to checking out others...

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
The magnata thing probably does it too, although for an entirely different purpose.

Offline geo111

• View Profile
slayersteve,
Thank you for the information. I'll try out the suggested software.

OBsIV,
I am a little disappointed that your software is limited to just the joystick X and Y axes. Hopefully, this is something that you will expand in the future.

Thank you for the assistance.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
OBsIV,
I am a little disappointed that your software is limited to just the joystick X and Y axes. Hopefully, this is something that you will expand in the future.

With any software project you have to prioritize features based on available resources and cost vs. value to the general community. Higher priority was given to solid support and ease of configuration around gaming pads like the G13 and CCU.

Offline Aceright

• View Profile
OBsIV,

With any software project you have to prioritize features based on available resources and cost vs. value to the general community. Higher priority was given to solid support and ease of configuration around gaming pads like the G13 and CCU.

OBsIV, is this limited to a setup like this, or is this issue extended to USB Flight sticks (like the Logtech 3D Pro) as well? I have been wanting to use a flight stick with BF1943 but need a new stick--but before I buy one I wanted to know if it would work.

Would the flight stick and twist work with the stock application or is another app needed?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Would the flight stick and twist work with the stock application or is another app needed?

XIM understands your joystick's X-Y axis and all buttons. If your stick software can map it's functions in this way, then, there wouldn't be an issue.

What analog mapping are you interested in (i.e. flight stick to Xbox controller)?

Offline Aceright

• View Profile

XIM understands your joystick's X-Y axis and all buttons. If your stick software can map it's functions in this way, then, there wouldn't be an issue.

What analog mapping are you interested in (i.e. flight stick to Xbox controller)?

First off OBsIV, I would not only like to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post but also the **KILLER** Halo 3 profile. I felt ok with my Xim2 and how it worked with Halo 3 and have recommended it to a number of people (2 have purchased them as well). But the Halo 3 config... just wow, I don't even feel like I am using a non-PC game in Halo 3 anymore. MAJOR KUDOS to you guys!!

For BF1943 game what would be needed is the Flight Stick mapped (probably already doable) but also the other stick for the "rudder". Typically:

X / Y = Yoke (stick), typically pitch/roll
Rudder = Twist, typically yaw

BF1943 has a lot of options for Left and Right Analog Stick. Various setups are:

Normal
Left Stick: Yaw
Right Stick: Pitch/Roll

Southpaw
Left Stick: Pitch/Roll
Right Stick: Yaw

Lefty
Left Stick: Yaw
Right Stick: Pitch/Roll

Lefty Southpaw
Left Stick: Pitch/Roll
Right Stick: Yaw

I would be willing to bet that any XIM2 setup that would work with any of the above would ALSO work with the New IL2 game slated for Winter release  ;D

Unfortunately my only stick right now is my SideWinder with a gameport adapter--but I can and will pick up a USB stick ASAP if it works with the XIM. I *loved* BF1942 with the flight stick and I would love to use one with BF1943.

Thanks again for all the great fun I have had with my 360 thanks to you guys.

Offline geo111

• View Profile

My sticks software allows me to map any of the analog axes to any DX button. However, when I do that I lose the analog values. Throttles and/or Rudders that only are OFF or "All the way ON" are not fun to deal with.

I'll try out the other software and see how it works.
« Last Edit: 05:55 PM - 07/12/09 by geo111 »

Offline Aceright

• View Profile

My sticks software allows me to map any of the analog axes to any DX button. However, when I do that I lose the analog values. Throttles and/or Rudders that only are OFF or "All the way ON" are not fun to deal with.

I'll try out the other software and see how it works.

Any luck getting the stick to work? I just got mine in and indeed the Xim2 software does map the Stick X-Y, but the throttle (analog flip tab) and the Rudders (twist) cannot be mapped.

I will try XOD's application but it looked slightly complicated, especially if I wanted to bounce between the standard controls in BF1943 and flight controls.