XIM Community

Can you be DDOS'd on dedicated servers?  (Read 20159 times)

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
Re: Can you be DDOS'd on dedicated servers?
« Reply #30 on: 06:06 PM - 09/05/13 »
yes, they got dedicated servers around season 5.

Offline PlaDale

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Can you be DDOS'd on dedicated servers?
« Reply #31 on: 04:36 AM - 09/06/13 »
yes, they got dedicated servers around season 5.

I think they started using them when everyone was playing full team trying to get in that tournament
I have a problem with rules and got myself banned. Again.

Offline gunit2004

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08:40 PM - 09/07/13 »
I came up with my own solution:

To simply not play against Top 10 Master losers... any of them.

I simply just back out whenever I see one now because 99% of the time, they are NOT legit.
My Setup
Xbox One + XIM 4
Monitor: Asus 24" VG248QE
Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye @ 2000 DPI 500hz
Mousepad: Coolermaster Swift-RX XL
Keypad: Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Audio: Astro Mixamp -> Amplifier -> Sennheiser HD800 w/ Antlion Modmic 4.0
Overwatch Linear Setup (click here)

Offline dmxwyrw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09:27 PM - 09/07/13 »
just wow. Does the one that builds servers work in a NOC? Traffic from large DDOS attacks has to be rerouted. Tis common for whole switch to be effected by such an attack. firewall isnt going to block it. zombie horde(ddos) at you door(firewall computer doesnt matter) you need to move them before you can get out to the street(internet). MS just reroutes the ddos traffic.
NinjaX2 - youre wrong with absolutly no credentials to back your stuff up.

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09:21 AM - 09/08/13 »
easy solution: whoever thinks they have solved host booting- let pick a time, and Ill give it a test. If you are indeed immune, than you can report back to here with your findings and have the backing that you have indeed figured it out.

So far the only person that Ive seen totally immune is CBN who bought a VPN. When you try and locate his IP is gives you a fake one.

Offline FacialAbuse

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12:49 PM - 09/08/13 »
Or even better you can just dos the dedicated server :D

Offline FacialAbuse

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12:51 PM - 09/08/13 »
easy solution: whoever thinks they have solved host booting- let pick a time, and Ill give it a test. If you are indeed immune, than you can report back to here with your findings and have the backing that you have indeed figured it out.

So far the only person that Ive seen totally immune is CBN who bought a VPN. When you try and locate his IP is gives you a fake one.

Sorry for double posting, but you can dos the VPN which will reveal his real IP and then flood him:)

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xaanit
« Reply #37 on: 09:37 AM - 09/09/13 »
just wow. Does the one that builds servers work in a NOC? Traffic from large DDOS attacks has to be rerouted. Tis common for whole switch to be effected by such an attack. firewall isnt going to block it. zombie horde(ddos) at you door(firewall computer doesnt matter) you need to move them before you can get out to the street(internet). MS just reroutes the ddos traffic.
NinjaX2 - youre wrong with absolutly no credentials to back your stuff up.

I am not wrong...If someone gets bots into your network sure. They can ddos from the inside.

DDos from the outside to someone's external interface is pointless with a legitimate firewall.

yes I work in a NOC..I have worked in datacenters multiple times throughout my career. I used to support 50 different international companies at once!.

I currently support servers that have over 65 million registered players. With 800-900k concurrent users / players at any given time and support the network with all of the employees as well.

None of those servers are down, and they are all around the globe. No lag..they run perfectly your more than welcome to give it your best shot.

You can say I do not have the credentials. You can say I do not know what I am talking about.

Ask most anyone here and they will tell you. I am not gonna argue with you bit you have a bot on your internal machine at home DDOSing you then you are retarded.

If you have a legitimate hardware firewall you can not DDOS the person directly.

If you really want to risk DDOsing an ISP switch or router be my guest. But then your knocking out an entire area of people, and finding that IP address is more complicated than sniffing someones IP with cain and able like most noobs.

Again I am not gonna sit here and argue with someone who wants to argue and try to prove me wrong.

You like to say "Ninja you are wrong" but with no real information on how you intend to back that up.

A real firewall, can not be ddos'd You would never make it past the firewall to hit my connection. The firewall I have configured would drop any traffic it wouldn't even process it. You wouldn't even be able to send data at it much less attack it.

Our connections are like ghosts. I know the IP's...I know where they sit. But I can't hit them with any data.

Its a pretty simple process.

I mean think about it...banks...blizzard....any massive corporation you can think of is not open to DDOS attacks...unless it is absolutely massive and pinpointed attack on a place that they know to be weak.

Otherwise there is redundancy and secondary connections in place anyways..but the fact remains.

I have firewalls that will automatically block IP's that it believes are ddosing it..by looking at packet size and number of attempts.

Then it sends me logs...

again dude I can go on forever and ever. I have two firewalls sitting in the other room. And I could probably buy your house, and pay off your car with what we paid for just ONE of them.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09:41 AM - 09/09/13 »
And just to clarify I am a CCIE in two disciplines. Before you say "server guy"

What I was explaining is that I also build the XLSG security gateways that route the traffic. and the proxies that distributes the load.

I know how the whole system works.

I am a CCIE and have practically every Microsoft certification known to man but I don't really care about those.

My experience is what counts. I have been building international networks for over 10 years.

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09:56 AM - 09/09/13 »
Ninja,

-Would someone be able to find your IP with C+A?
-If so, what would happen if someone tried to ddos it? It just wouldn't work? Would it slow you down at all?

Offline facade

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: xi scion ix
  • PSN ID: SeneschalGrigori
« Reply #40 on: 10:25 AM - 09/09/13 »
^

I'm pretty sure he brought up the CCIE because it is relevant to the discussion (Networking) and knows it's not a MS cert. 

But.. this is the internet..

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10:31 AM - 09/09/13 »
Route switching an security.

I have MCSA I am a Microsoft Certified Server architect. I also have other certs I was required to obtain for partnership purposes in regards to MS Exchange.

However like I said these MS certs are irrelevant really for me. And no...just because you have a tonf os MS certs does not mean you work for them. I would never work for Microsoft. Bunch of dummies in a fail upwards company IMO.

Google flew me to California for an interview however. Offered good money and I turned them down because when I was walking the campus with them I felt like I was actively moving around in a tv show with the brady bunch....

I said "@#$% that" and they said not to cuss!!! I was like..bahahaha no thanks.

Anyways but yes. I just brought up the MS stuff because he called me a server guy. When in fact I am fist and foremost a Network Engineer.

I have done work for the government. Security Clearences all that jazz...

Again I am not lacking for experience or knowledge. I just really do not care enough to sit here and argue with internet trolls.

Hell half the time I do not even take the time to spell check my poss or verify my grammar...half these messages are written half way between work..emails..and configuration so I alt tab and start where I left off a lot...hence the book long posts sometimes.

Nice of you to delete your post there Bionic.

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10:35 AM - 09/09/13 »
Route switching an security.

I have MCSA I am a Microsoft Certified Server architect. I also have other certs I was required to obtain for partnership purposes in regards to MS Exchange.

However like I said these MS certs are irrelevant really for me. And no...just because you have a tonf os MS certs does not mean you work for them. I would never work for Microsoft. Bunch of dummies in a fail upwards company IMO.

Google flew me to California for an interview however. Offered good money and I turned them down because when I was walking the campus with them I felt like I was actively moving around in a tv show with the brady bunch....

I said "@#$% that" and they said not to cuss!!! I was like..bahahaha no thanks.

Anyways but yes. I just brought up the MS stuff because he called me a server guy. When in fact I am fist and foremost a Network Engineer.

I have done work for the government. Security Clearences all that jazz...

Again I am not lacking for experience or knowledge. I just really do not care enough to sit here and argue with internet trolls.

Hell half the time I do not even take the time to spell check my poss or verify my grammar...half these messages are written half way between work..emails..and configuration so I alt tab and start where I left off a lot...hence the book long posts sometimes.

Nice of you to delete your post there Bionic.

I deleted it out of respect for you bro.

and Tuffs recent take on souvers post in another topic.

sorry man to delete my post, your a good resource, hope these peeps realize that!
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10:39 AM - 09/09/13 »
Ninja,

-Would someone be able to find your IP with C+A?
-If so, what would happen if someone tried to ddos it? It just wouldn't work? Would it slow you down at all?

If you have a firewall capable of handling/ disgarding the packets properly the DDOS is ineffective.

The firewall would have enough processing power to filter out billions of packets per second and just completely disregard them. Packets over a certain size are obviously bombs in most cases so the firewall automatically blocks the source IP.

If you are bombing from multiple IP's from multiple locations unless you have an unrealistic number of IP's bombing it it would just block them all...as in automatically create an access list to filter them.

Then it wouldn't even really need to process much at all.

It would maybe, if I was doing a speed test at the same time and you bombed it. Maybe drop a slight bit in speed for about a minute. Then you would no longer be effective.

But you definitely wouldn't boot me offline.

Especially here at the corporate office...we have 4 internet conenctions. 4 routers. 4 firewalls. All redundant links.

You wouldn't be able to bring it down unless you hit all 4 at once and manages to kill the firewalls protecting it.

The only effective way to DDOS our switch would be from the inside and you would need a virus for an internal botnet to accomplish this.

This is just how any company would design their infrastructure.

At home. With a smaller asa I used 6gb/s ddos on my own equipment and I didn't even feel it.

Granted the backplane on an asa is only like 35/mbs. However it will filter out a DDOS pretty quick...DDOS are nothing new.

Most cisco gear nowadays automatically flags them.

Granted its not cheap.

A Linksys would choke on the data for example.

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10:44 AM - 09/09/13 »
didn't cicso buy linksys?

they didn't upgrade linksys? to cysco standards?
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!