XIM Community

Can you be DDOS'd on dedicated servers?  (Read 20174 times)

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: TrentHallmark
Re: Can you be DDOS'd on dedicated servers?
« Reply #15 on: 11:30 AM - 09/05/13 »
If you go and join a pre-game lobby and that is on dedicated servers, they will NOT be able to get your IP address.

But, if the system is like it is now for BLOPS2 League Play, everyone connects to a "host" and then he finds the best dedicated server. And if that is the case, then they will be able to get your IP.

Better hope for the first option is all i've got to say.

Not true, its easy to get pre-game lobby, and in-game in leagueplay.

Because of the way Xbox does the recent players list, ya.

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Can you be DDOS'd on dedicated servers?
« Reply #16 on: 11:32 AM - 09/05/13 »
sigh... guys it's not hard.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/steriley/archive/2006/07/10/configure-your-router-to-block-dos-attempts.aspx

If you're silly walmart d-link router doesn't give you those options then flash it with DD-WRT or setup a pfsense box.

Or if you really want to be safe... route your xbox through a proxy so they never get your real IP.

Ninja got DOSd behind his enterprise firewall there's no hope for us mortals except lag vpn

Doesn't matter how expensive your firewall is, if you don't have enough bandwidth it doesn't matter.

ex; have 100mb connection someone attacks me with 150 and are just doing a basic UDP/ICMP flood I lose.

ex; have 100mb connection someone attacks me using HTTP get (website/server attack) or slow loris(my favorite) and they have only 50mb connection without a firewall i'd be in trouble. But with a firewall I can block those attacks.

tl;dr your e-penis isn't big enough as someone elses they'll knock you offline

Offline Dale

• MVP
  • What would the great lion do?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DaleisGOD
« Reply #17 on: 11:45 AM - 09/05/13 »
If you go and join a pre-game lobby and that is on dedicated servers, they will NOT be able to get your IP address.

But, if the system is like it is now for BLOPS2 League Play, everyone connects to a "host" and then he finds the best dedicated server. And if that is the case, then they will be able to get your IP.

I dont think its because of the recent player list... I receive and send packets to each player during each league play game. You can tell who's in your party and who is not based on the amount of packets received, I think thats because of party chat. But regardless, dedicated servers does nothing to help the way its setup now.

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12:10 PM - 09/05/13 »

I dont think its because of the recent player list... I receive and send packets to each player during each league play game. You can tell who's in your party and who is not based on the amount of packets received, I think thats because of party chat. But regardless, dedicated servers does nothing to help the way its setup now.

No you're right, I was doing some Cain & Abel scanning trying to figure out how it worked. What I was able to find, I cannot get IP addresses while in game. I can see who's in my party because of the packets. But the actual IP addresses of the players wasn't able to be obtained unless I was in lobby.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xaanit
« Reply #19 on: 12:14 PM - 09/05/13 »

http://blogs.technet.com/b/steriley/archive/2006/07/10/configure-your-router-to-block-dos-attempts.aspx

If you're silly walmart d-link router doesn't give you those options then flash it with DD-WRT or setup a pfsense box.

Or if you really want to be safe... route your xbox through a proxy so they never get your real IP.

Ninja got DOSd behind his enterprise firewall there's no hope for us mortals except lag vpn

Doesn't matter how expensive your firewall is, if you don't have enough bandwidth it doesn't matter.

ex; have 100mb connection someone attacks me with 150 and are just doing a basic UDP/ICMP flood I lose.

ex; have 100mb connection someone attacks me using HTTP get (website/server attack) or slow loris(my favorite) and they have only 50mb connection without a firewall i'd be in trouble. But with a firewall I can block those attacks.

Not true. A hardware firewall can easily prevent a host boot. Not a cheap one but trust me we do this all time to protect game servers in general.

The information you are providing is not accurate in this post. You have no idea what you are talking about. You can not beat a solid hardware firewall by blasting it with packets. It won't kill the connection or even fluctuate the speed of the connection...I am not sure where you get your info but it isn't accurate.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12:17 PM - 09/05/13 »

No you're right, I was doing some Cain & Abel scanning trying to figure out how it worked. What I was able to find, I cannot get IP addresses while in game. I can see who's in my party because of the packets. But the actual IP addresses of the players wasn't able to be obtained unless I was in lobby.

you can also pull the IP's of people during game play. From recent players. Or in the pregame lobby.

Difference is if you do it while IN game its easy to tell who is your team or the other team but you are not sure wich specific player you will boot.

Yet the data is all there.

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12:44 PM - 09/05/13 »

Not true. A hardware firewall can easily prevent a host boot. Not a cheap one but trust me we do this all time to protect game servers in general.

The information you are providing is not accurate in this post. You have no idea what you are talking about. You can not beat a solid hardware firewall by blasting it with packets. It won't kill the connection or even fluctuate the speed of the connection...I am not sure where you get your info but it isn't accurate.

That's why you got host booted behind your hardware firewall? Or is that why I have a bachelors in networking systems and I have no idea what i'm talking about.

I have nothing nice to say here so it was removed.
« Last Edit: 12:59 PM - 09/05/13 by mist4fun »

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12:49 PM - 09/05/13 »
Im not gonna pull quotes cause this thread could get really long- but ninja is 100% correct in his last post. You can pull IPs at any time. Ingame/pregame/postgame... Im not savy on hardware firewalls so Ill let you two duke it out on that.

Offline Joey McCamper

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12:52 PM - 09/05/13 »
CBN gets DDOS'd but because he is bad.

Offline facade

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: xi scion ix
  • PSN ID: SeneschalGrigori
« Reply #24 on: 12:55 PM - 09/05/13 »

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12:55 PM - 09/05/13 »
Im not gonna pull quotes cause this thread could get really long- but ninja is 100% correct in his last post. You can pull IPs at any time. Ingame/pregame/postgame... Im not savy on hardware firewalls so Ill let you two duke it out on that.

I only tried it once and I couldn't get IP's in game. Then again I didn't actually try to attack any of them but I did have a FEW ip's some of the starting with 65 which is Microsoft Servers and then 1 which I googled and it said it was blackops server.

I think it only had maybe 3 extra ip's which could of been all of my team or maybe some of their team. Anyway it didn't list EVERY IP address.

Offline trenth

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12:56 PM - 09/05/13 »
Oh let's also mention, go on WebHostingTalk and ask them about BotNetting and how it actually works. Hardware firewalls get @#$% melted, throwing packets at it doesn't matter. Those packets have to go through the modem before they go to the firewall. So yes, your connection still gets flooded. How is this not black & white to you? Do some Googling before you run your mouth. I've been doing networking for 5 years now.

Offline Dale

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12:59 PM - 09/05/13 »
It does list everybody's IP even if you have a VPN.. it just lists a fake IP in that case.

108. and 209. IP addresses are microsoft servers - you stay away from those.

Usually the people on the other team show up last on your list because they are sending less packets than the players in your partychat.

This isnt really an appropriate conversation when we get into this much detail so I wont say more.

Offline NinjaX2

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04:54 PM - 09/05/13 »
I don't care what your degrees are?

You really don't have a clue. Its just a fact. I discovered..that the ONE time I was host booted my firewall was not connected...my kid had re routed the internet directly to his PC so he could run some fake runescape server or something without telling me and I didn't find out until afterwards..

Trust me it caught me off guard too. But my firewall never gets pulled so I didn't expect to see that.

However if you want to try to host boot me you are more than welcome to try.

You may have a "bachelors in networking" When in reality that isn't what it would be called unless you got it from some ghetto school.

On the other hand..I build the servers. I build the XLSP SG's that the games have to route through. I also know how to protect the servers. Go ahead...try to attack one of the Microsoft servers.

Again. you won't get very far because they are well protected. We can run over 500,000 concurrent users per 100mbit so don't think that the connection saves them.

It is the firewall. You as always come and try to challenge be and assume that because you have a degree that you know what you are talking about? I have fired more people with degrees than I care to count.

Fact is I know more about networking than you. I also have more experience dealing with the xbox live environment and protecting it than you do.

Yet no one in these forums takes anything you say seriously or as logical.

Fact is as follows.

If you set up your sniffer cain..etc to monitor for traffic on the proper xlsp port...you will get nothing but public IP's connecting to an xlsp sg or xbox live.

You then sort through those as to who is your party and who isn't this can be done easily by marking the IP's in your lobby as "friendly" before you start connecting to a game.

Then all you will have are MS IP's wich are easily identified and other players.

Bomb away.

I am just saying you need to stop trying to call me out because quite frankly...you have never proven me wrong. So just give it up.

Offline BroTsla

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05:33 PM - 09/05/13 »
Where does it say league play is on servers? Maybe I missed something but up until season 4 of BO2 league used p2p just like the rest of the game(that's when I stopped playing BO2 for a bit).. lol I find it hard to believe that they spent money on servers later and added them ONLY to league play. Anyone got any proof league is even on servers?