XIM Community

Xim edge - probably the biggest piece of @#$% hardware I ever used!  (Read 16492 times)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
It will work if you do it as Mist says. JB please also watch the video tutorials so you understand how the "piece of junk" works. We also help users that keep the tone down.

the videos are here:
http://xim3.com/about/instructional-videos
Crusade atm: none

Offline jackbauer1900

• View Profile
Charged the controller the entire night. It was directly connected to the PS3 and the PS3 was on. Not on standby but completely on and inside the user interface. When Xim edge is connected directly to the PS3 and in turn just has the DS3 controller connected it works. Played through a whole Black ops 2 match without a single problem. However, the minute I connect a keyboard and a mice it fails to power them both. I can see that it tries because the mice sensor lights up briefly before dying. Once this happens I actually have to unplug the xim edge from the console because even though I disconnect all cables from the DS3 it can't power on, it just flashes all lights and then turns off. Once I disconnects the Xim edge from the console I can start the controller and it indicates it's the first controller with one of the little red lights labeled "1".

Various combinations I tried: (Fail: G400 and/or K120 never powers up. Success: Plays through entire game of Black ops 2 team deathmatch. Ports and peripherals described in order left to right on the Xim edge unit.

1. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller - Then connect g400 +k120: Fail
2. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, G400, K120: Fail
3. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, k120, G400: Fail
4. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, G400, empty: Success
5. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, empty, k120: Fail
6. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, k120, empty: Fail
7. Changed cable between Xim edge and PS3: Still fail with just keyboard.
8. Tried the other port on the ps3: Still fail with just keyboard.
9. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, empty, MS Ergonomic kb 4000: Fail
10. Start xim edge directly connected to ps3 with: DS3 controller, MS Ergonomic kb 4000, empty: Fail
11. Start xim edge via D-link USB hub to ps3 (Right USB port) with: DS3 controller, empty, K120: Fail
12. Start xim edge via D-link USB hub to ps3 (Left USB port) with: DS3 controller, empty, K120: Success

It will work if you do it as Mist says. JB please also watch the video tutorials so you understand how the "piece of

junk" works. We also help users that keep the tone down.

the videos are here:
http://xim3.com/about/instructional-videos

This is suppose to be a consumer product, yes? I havent done this much troubleshooted since I owned a PC. Simply blaming everything else in my setup but the unit itself just seems a bit far fetched. And this is really the core of the problem. Why should a cable or a port choice matter? It's not a very consumer friendly device if these types of small discrepancies in the setup can mean the difference between a succelful gaming experience and the infuriating session I had last night. I think I am right in my initial theory of this unit being underpowered in some way :(

However, tempers ran a bit high last night, and I apologize for that. Sorry!

I will try to troubleshoot further. Will purchase a new USB hub and a new set of cables and see how that pans out.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
the reason why roads said this that every xim is quality tested right before the shipping takes place
from all the units being sold, there were maybe 50 RMAs in the entire forum at max
in like 99% of the cases the problem people had were device related stuff and not caused by the xim

maybe your xim is broken, but to be absolutly sure i would test it on a different PS3 or even a Xbox360
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Actually, our RMA rate is much less than 1% (typical for the industry is 3%). As stated, every Edge is thoroughly tested before shipping to prevent things like this. I'm very sorry you are having problems and understand the frustration. Thank you for trying all those combinations. Before opening an RMA lets try one more thing. You mentioned a powered hub. Can you try plugging you mouse and keyboard into the powered hub and then the hub into your Edge (i.e. all power for those devices comes from the hub). That'll help isolate the problem further.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline jackbauer1900

• View Profile
Actually, our RMA rate is much less than 1% (typical for the industry is 3%). As stated, every Edge is thoroughly tested before shipping to prevent things like this. I'm very sorry you are having problems and understand the frustration. Thank you for trying all those combinations. Before opening an RMA lets try one more thing. You mentioned a powered hub. Can you try plugging you mouse and keyboard into the powered hub and then the hub into your Edge (i.e. all power for those devices comes from the hub). That'll help isolate the problem further.

You might be on to something here, the error percentage went down alot using this method. I was able to play 5 matches in a row without a problem. Rebooted the  console 2 times also. First time worked, but the second time i got the error again. But i unplugged the xim and plugged it in again and it worked. Im going to test this method out a few days to see if it sticks.

Thanks!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Ok please keep us posted. I don't understand why the power draw is so high. If you happen to have another DS3 available to try, that would help isolate it further. It shouldn't be constantly charging, but, you never know. Something is drawing a lot of power.

Offline tuffrabit

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • tuffrabit's Twitch.tv channel
  • Gamertag: TuFFrabit
Have you tried it with the PC?  If you plug everything into the Edge, as if you were going to play a game on your PS3, and then plug the Edge into your PC instead, the PC will see the controller and think it's a joystick.  Does everything stay powered then?  You don't even have to play a game, just see if stuff is powered.

This will eliminate your console from being a potential problem source.

Offline jackbauer1900

• View Profile
So I gave up for a long while to get this thing to work, but now I decided to try it out on my xbox 360. So I bought yet _another_ accessory, a wired 360 controller. Guess what, it didn't work there either.

Same fault, everything just dies on me.

So now my only hope is that the Xim company actually stand by their quality assurances and accept a warranty repair.

Xim, if you read this forum and can hear me. Please please please repair this thing!

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
I'm not sure why you'd wait so long for RMA? If your Edge is dead, you should get it fixed.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
such timing. man it's so hard to believe this isn't fake..
soon..

Offline jackbauer1900

• View Profile
I'm not sure why you'd wait so long for RMA? If your Edge is dead, you should get it fixed.

I got a new job, had no spare time, lost the will to game, you know had a life ;)
But now I thought I pick up where I left off.

Now what am I suppose to do get this thing fixed?!
How do we proceed?
Where do I send it?!

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
via email you will get further instructions then :)
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline jackbauer1900

• View Profile
via email you will get further instructions then :)

Logged into my account, but there is no button for RMA. I didn't buy the unit directly from you. I bought it from an ebay store, so I guess that's why. But I still feel this should be covered in the manufacturer warranty or something.

What should I do?

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
talk to the ebay guy that sold it to you.
soon..

Offline jackbauer1900

• View Profile
talk to the ebay guy that sold it to you.

What's the difference of him sending in the unit vs me sending in the unit?
Id be more comfortable sending it directly to you. Besides, Ebay don't store records that long, so I'm not sure I'd be able to find him.

Again, how do we proceed?

Admin