XIM Community

Possible fix for Windows 8.1 PC Mode/USB issue  (Read 4487 times)

Offline FrizzleFry

• View Profile
Possible fix for Windows 8.1 PC Mode/USB issue
« on: 04:30 PM - 02/08/14 »
I tried the various workarounds - none of the compatibility modes worked, and while I could run normal XIM Manager if I waited for the chime sound to click, I could never run the XIM 4E beta flash.

I did some poking around the internet and found this article about issues with USB and  EnhancedPowerManagement:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/08/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-device-doesn-t-charge-or-it-disconnects-and-reconnects-frequently.aspx
I went into my registry and turned off EnhancedPowerManagement for the USB input device corresponding to my XIM Edge (USB\VID_2387&PID_0002&REV_0200) using the procedure they suggest, and it seems to have fixed all issues with my Edge - I can click the connect button in XIM Manager at my leisure, and I was able to flash the Beta firmware.

Cue the usual disclaimers for anyone messing with their registry and how neither I nor the makers of XIM are responsible if you frak it up.  But before we call this a fix we should see if it works for anyone else. Assuming it hasn't already been posted and I just failed to find it somehow. Obsiv etc. feel free to delete this post if you feel it necessary for safety reasons.  Or if you like I can type up something specific to us and post it in case that article ever goes away.

Offline FrizzleFry

• View Profile
Re: Possible fix for Windows 8.1 PC Mode/USB issue
« Reply #1 on: 12:16 PM - 02/09/14 »
How to disable Enhanced Power Management on the XIM Edge:

•Connect the Edge to the computer.
•Search for “device manager” in the Search charm, and open Device Manager.
•Expand the Human Interface Devices node and select the device that is causing the issue. The XIM Edge will show up as a "USB Input Device", of which there will probably be multiple. To find the right one you will have to examine each as follows - in the properties for the device, go to the Details tab, select the Hardware ID's property from the dropdown. The Edge is the one that says USB\VID_2387&PID_0002&REV_0200.
•After you have located the Edge, change the Property dropdown to Device Instance Path, and then note the ID information. In my case the ID was USB\VID_2387&PID_0002\00000000011C
 This line is a combination of these IDs:
 ◦Vendor ID (VID)
 ◦Product ID (PID)
 ◦Instance ID
•Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe) by searching for “regedit” in the Search charm.
•Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Enum\ USB.
•Expand the USB folder.
•Under the USB folder, open the folder with the name that matches the VID and PID for your Edge, VID_2387&PID_0002.
•Under that VID&PID folder, find the folder that matches the Instance ID you noted for your Edge, in my case it was 00000000011C, yours will likely be different. There will probably be only one folder in here, unless maybe you have plugged your Edge into multiple USB ports or you have more than one Edge, in which case you should probably turn off Advanced power Management for each one.
•Under the Instance ID key, select Device Parameters.
•In the details pane, right-click the EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled entry and then click Modify.
•Change the Value data to 0 and then click OK.
•Exit Registry Editor.
•Unplug and plug the device.

You should be able to use XIM Manager now. If you have any problems you can repeat the above process and change the value back to 1.

Offline FrizzleFry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:42 PM - 02/09/14 »
Thinking about it I realize you can probably just skip right to the registry editor, as identifying your Edge is unnecessary since we know the Vendor and Product IDs already. The instance ID would only matter if you had more than one instance in there and didn't want to change them all for some reason.
But I can't seem to edit my posts.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 12:51 PM - 02/09/14 »
Thanks for researching this! Hopefully others can try it out and see if it works for them. If so, we can put this into a .reg file that people can just run.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline FrizzleFry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:15 PM - 02/11/14 »
I'm not sure how to handle the randomly generated Instance ID in a .reg file...but here's a regular batch file that works:

Code: [Select]

@echo off
setlocal
set key=HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_2387^&PID_0002
for /f %%a in ('reg query "%key%"') do (
   reg add "%key%\%%~na\Device Parameters" /t REG_DWORD /v
EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled /d 0x0
)

Offline fmj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:12 PM - 02/13/14 »
Thanks FrizzleFry! I was having the same problem with Windows 8.1 and your solution worked perfectly.
Xbox One X

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 09:17 PM - 02/13/14 »
Yes, this is an excellent find.

If a few more people can verify the fix, we can publish it as official.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05:32 PM - 02/15/14 »
This appears to have worked for me, though I haven't run the full gamut of tests to avoid losing all my configs.  Is there a way to back them up?

At any rate, prior to performing this I tried to just re-update the same firmware but the program just froze like normal.  After performing this fix, I can now click the update firmware button and it will immediately tell me that my firmware is already up to date so it "appears" to be working.

It should probably be noted, my hardware ID is exactly what the OPs was for my Edge.  As such I do not believe this to be a random identifier.  I imagine it's tied into the hardware on some level.  So the instructions may in fact be the same for everyone.

With that said, is there a way for us to actually "install" the XIM so it shows a real name in the device manager vs. some generic USB device?  I saw in that article they show how manufacturers can disable this setting upon install using an inf file.  I'm wondering if it can also have its name set to reflect "XIM" instead of "HID-compliant vendor-defined device" (when viewing devices by connection)?

XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU

Offline t35h

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:46 PM - 02/21/14 »
This worked for me.

Offline BionicTbag

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12:34 PM - 02/25/14 »
is this the fix stickied at the top of this forum?
http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=31086.0

if so it worked for me!
sorry but its time to leave.... goodbye all!

Offline mcdonamw

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12:46 PM - 02/25/14 »
Yes but wrapped up in a simple batch configuration.
XIM Apex | Xbox Series X | HyperX Alloy Origins 60 | Razer Basilisk V3 | Artisan Ninja FX Hayate OTSU