XIM Community

PS3 on a PC Monitor - whats the deal?  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
PS3 on a PC Monitor - whats the deal?
« on: 05:43 AM - 05/21/09 »
I have read loads on the topic but there doesn't seem to be a defining answer.

Basically I want to connect a PS3 to a monitor probably via the VGA slot. With a 360 this is very easy. On a PS3 not so it seems.

Im guessing my monitor doesn't have HRCP. I don't want to have to buy HDFury or alike as they cost around 100.

Does the XCM VGA Box work, or just the VGA Cable lead? Any help appreciated.

Offline markgg

• View Profile
Re: PS3 on a PC Monitor - whats the deal?
« Reply #1 on: 02:29 AM - 05/25/09 »
Hi Gabbagod

I have researched this in some depth and I opted for the HD FURY GAMER CABLE. it cost me 56 from thegametrain.com. It works like a dream.

Hope this helps

Offline Trav

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:51 AM - 06/24/09 »
i bought an HDMI to VGA plug at Best Buy. It was a while ago but if i remember right it was $30-$40. Works like a charm. Just change my display on monitor to switch between PC and PS3

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:18 AM - 06/24/09 »
i bought an HDMI to VGA plug at Best Buy. It was a while ago but if i remember right it was $30-$40. Works like a charm. Just change my display on monitor to switch between PC and PS3

How do you have sound?

Offline Trav

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:41 PM - 06/24/09 »
honestly i kinda just found this AV splitter thing and plug the sound from my PS3 into my sound system for PC. so while i play PS3 sound comes outta my PC speakers. kind of a pain to switch back and forth but i mostly use headphones on PC anyways

Offline markgg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:11 AM - 06/25/09 »
Hi Trav

Sounds like you have the same set up as myself.

I have a vga switch for switching between ps3 and PC and sound thru hi fi speakers.

MP40 (COD waw) Sounds awesome thru big speakers Lol

Mark

Offline xcerpt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12:08 AM - 07/02/09 »
they sell HDMI to DVI cables on ebay. sound would be the tricky part.

Offline UnrealChrisG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02:43 AM - 07/26/09 »
When I went to my friends house to try out the XCM crossbattle adapter with the XIM 2, I took a monitor with me, I just used a hdmi to dvi cable, and plugged in the rca cables in to an adapter(RCA to 3.5mm) for sound, worked fine

Offline h3r3tic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:35 PM - 07/30/09 »
I bought a cheap cable off ebay for wii and ps3 a while back it had a just a reg ps2/ps3 plug and on the other end was a vga out and 2 rcas for sound. You can just set 480 720 1080 off the ps3 manually. Actually here I found it http://cgi.ebay.com/WII-PS3-VGA-CABLE-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ280378971505QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item4147e39571&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It did me justice for a while it comes wit instructions and stuff how to set up the resolution you want. If you want true hd though you have to get either a hdmi to vga converter box or a component to vga converter box. Most good converter boxes usually have RCA outs or a headphone jack. if they dont and there is just a wire and no box it doesnt work right. Something like this usually http://cgi.ebay.com/New-HDMI-to-VGA-Ypbpr-Component-Switch-Converter-D2_W0QQitemZ260453135345QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca43773f1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The cable looks good and still lets you play on a monitor. The converter box is true hd quality. You get what you pay for but id say it was worth the 26 bucks i paid for the cable.
« Last Edit: 09:45 PM - 07/30/09 by h3r3tic »