XIM Community

Introducing XIM's "Smart" Mouse System Preview  (Read 52056 times)

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing XIM's "Smart" Mouse System Preview
« Reply #210 on: 05:21 AM - 06/10/09 »
Does anyone know if far cry 2 will be done with smart system?

that game more than any other needs this. its way worse than even left 4 dead!

thank you again for the halo 3 compatability!

Popularity is a factor as well, keep that in mind. I'm not sure how popular FC2 is but it probably won't be the next couple picks.

technogiant

« Reply #211 on: 05:46 AM - 06/10/09 »
can't stand all this raising of hopes one minute and dashing them the next....really thought when this smart mouse software was released that it would be the be the case that other titles would follow quite quickly...can't be doing with all the anticipation followed by dissapointment tbh. Technogiant signing off (profile deleted)

Offline Relys

• MVP
  • Master of Computer Science
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Relys
  • PSN ID: Relys
« Reply #212 on: 12:45 PM - 06/10/09 »
Does anyone know if far cry 2 will be done with smart system?

that game more than any other needs this. its way worse than even left 4 dead!

thank you again for the halo 3 compatability!

YES PLEASE! I just bought FarCry 2, and it needs it much more than any of the other games.

It's terrible on the XIM360. I know it's not that popular, but CoD and Gears of War already work super great. FarCry 2 needs some serious help.
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Offline tweak

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 01:05 PM - 06/10/09 »
Gathering points here and locking this thread in 24 hours.

Foreword: OBsIV doesn't go out of his way to tell me this stuff. I read posts and use common sense.

- XIM's hardware cost includes a controller, the relatively complex xim board and labor. compare this to the price off an XFPoS (new) and a wired controller (new). I'm tired of uneducated individuals claiming 30-50 us dollars would be a fair price. Completely ridiculous.

- I've noticed something throughout the entire time line of this project. Every time OBsIV releases some cool preview or shares dev information early, there are a few who cannot deal with this in a mature way. This is expected really and begging for more only shows us that the new ideas are as good - or better - in practice than they were in theory. XIM 2's software was complete a long time ago and one should expect bug fixes. Feel privileged when someone shares their upcoming work ideas with you, and consider next-gen tech previews as a gift. You're welcome.

- No one has even eluded to any dates of when the next translation system will come out and we don't try to sell "upcoming" features. The Halo 3 system works now as is and people are happy. This is the tech that will be one of the key features of xim 3, a fully fledged commercial product. The culmination of all the work that went into XIM and XIM 2.

- Yes, we have everyone to thank who has supported this project with purchases and configuration testing and submissions and everything the community has done for us too. Thanks to every one of you. Really. The main goal at this point is to share as much as possible in a protected and reliable way. We do not advertise, we don't host ads, everyone is here by referral or their own free will. (read: they googled "xfps sucks" after they bought one.)

- OBsIV knows what he is doing and we don't share every single thing with the public.

- No one said that another game wouldn't be supported, you just cant go around expecting it like the system owes you something.

(pick only two)
Soon
Free
Quality

Sigh... its getting late and I know I'm making typos. Hopefully the people who are upset will realize we are doing the right thing here. Oh, Welcome back Ding!  ;D

QFT.

And locking because people still don't get it.  You're free to do what you want with it later tonight OMGsus.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #214 on: 08:47 PM - 06/11/09 »
There are obviously a bunch of people that are genuinely upset and feel let down and Iíd like to address that. Honestly, I had no idea what the ramifications of releasing my new mouse tech would be. This was supposed to be a good thing, but, has spiraled out of control. I realize that as soon as I did this people started making assumptions about what this means overall. Now that I look back, I should have been explicit on what my intention was for releasing this tech to you (which is quite simply: feedback).

This system is meant to fill out the culmination of the ultimate gaming peripheral that I set out to do several years ago. The smart and existing mouse systems would both be included in XIM3 to make it, by far, the best anyone can buy in the world. Given that XIM3 is still in its early stages, I wanted to get the new system in the community hands so that I can start validating the design. Based on that feedback, Iíd continue to slowly add new games to refine the system until XIM3 is released. I apologize for not making my intentions clear up front. It was never meant to cause such contention!

You can consider the smart mouse system still in its development phase (such as ďbetaĒ or ďtech previewĒ). Itís implementation can change dramatically based on the hardware we use for XIM3. Based on this development, it makes the most sense to next target a COD game (why? because it runs at 60fps, it has a circular deadzone, itís popular Ė all of which makes it a good candidate for my next round of experiments in planning). Since COD:MW2 isnít out until November, itís most likely Iíll do COD4 next. But, Iím sorry, I cannot commit a date yet.

Now, about the price of XIM2. As I mentioned before, itís very low volume. And, as people recall, the ďearly daysĒ of getting a XIM was incredibly frustrating and there was a lot of anger about it. Thatís what prompted me to contract out a company to handle all things related to building, selling, and supporting XIM. The price was chosen to ensure everyone who wanted a XIM got one without a wait, and, if something goes wrong, you have a means to get the support you need to get it resolved quickly. If you noticed, that issue has been totally fixed!

As I said before, XIM3 is awhile away. But, when itís released, it will be a real consumer product backed by a real company. And, it will be competitive price-wise to whatís available on the market at that time. Until then, XIM2 will continue to be the best in the world, and, I havenít given up on making it even better Ė contrary to what some people think. :)
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Admin