XIM Community

Ballistic Curve Basics *For Noobs!*  (Read 7062 times)

Offline KuzuRanger

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: KuzuRanger
Ballistic Curve Basics *For Noobs!*
« on: 01:59 AM - 10/24/12 »
Hey Ximmers,
I had a hard time at first understanding the basic concepts of the ballistic curve. Since there are no values listed, my brain kept assuming that TIME was somehow a variable though it isn’t. Now that I think I’ve got it, I want to share my interpretation to hopefully help a few others. (Please correct any mistakes and look at the example Curve below.)

Reading the Chart:
- For starters, concentrate only on two variables → Mouse speed vs. Aim speed
- Imagine the chart is a weighing scale measuring the ratio between those two.
- On the white line means both are equally balanced or “normal”. The speed in which you move your mouse produces an equal effect to your aiming. → 1:1 movement
- Rising above the “normal” white line means higher sensitivity. The speed in which you move your mouse produces a bigger effect to your aiming. → Acceleration
- Dipping below the “normal” white line means lower sensitivity. The speed in which you move your mouse produces a smaller effect to your aiming → Deceleration

Mouse Velocity:
- IMPORTANT → Imagine there are invisible numbers between the words “Mouse Velocity” and the horizontal line near it which gauge mouse speeds.
- IMPORTANT → The far left of that horizontal line represents slow / subtle mouse speeds or movements → micro movement
- IMPORTANT → The far right of that horizontal line represents fast / sudden mouse speeds or movements → twitch movement
- A dip or raised curve that evens out into a straight line means the ratio is balanced from that point → 1:1 movement *

* A straight line below the white line is still 1:1 movement but is the equivalent of lowering your base sensitivity.
* A straight line above the white line is still 1:1 movement but is the equivalent of raising your base sensitivity.

Aim Velocity:
- The best way to understand the chart is by considering Mouse Velocity as your point of reference. Look there first and compare it to Aim Velocity.
- Imagine there are invisible numbers between the words “Aim Velocity” and the vertical line near it which gauge aiming speeds.
- The lowest part of that vertical line represents micro aiming speeds → slow aiming
- The top part of that vertical line represents twitch aiming speeds → fast aiming

Pop Quiz. Let’s examine carha’s unique ballistic curve below to understand what’s happening.

Hip Ballistic Curve: → means the standard view
1. Three quarters of the curve is very close to or on the white line. What does that mean?
Answer: Basically 1:1 movement for small or medium mouse speeds.
2. The top-right of the curve starts rising above the white line. What does that mean?
Answer: Farther right on the horizontal line means faster mouse speed. Farther up on the vertical line means faster aiming. Above the white line indicates higher sensitivity. Put all those together and it means he has higher sensitivity at fast mouse speeds. He can twitch aim in emergencies, yet small or medium mouse speeds are stable at a 1:1 ratio.

ADS Ballistic Curve: → means the view when pressing ADS (aiming down sights); using your weapon’s optics like red-dot sight, ACOG, sniper scope, etc.
3. The bottom-left of the curve dips below the white line. What does that mean?
Answer: Farther left on the horizontal line means slower mouse speed. Farther down on the horizontal line means slower aiming. Below the white line indicates slower sensitivity. Put all those together and it means he has very low sensitivity (micro aiming) at low mouse speeds so he can ADS and track a target with precision, yet medium to high mouse speeds are stable at a 1:1 ratio until a small aim acceleration change at highest mouse speeds.

Those are just the first steps to understanding WHAT the charts actually mean. So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. G.I. Joe!
The tricky part is then balancing not only the 2 variables (mouse vs aim speed), but also factoring in your base sensitivity...
Even if you copy and use a ballistic curve it takes trial and error to test if something feels comfortable for you. And yah, don’t forget about the curve creator’s DPI as that also affects sensitivity. Lower DPI user’s will need to raise sensitivity to match higher DPIs and vice versa.
Good luck everyone! (including me...)
« Last Edit: 01:06 AM - 10/26/12 by KuzuRanger »
http://www.youtube.com/KuzuRanger

XIM4 / Razer Naga Hex / Move Nav x2 / Astro A40

Offline buford

• View Profile
Re: Ballistic Curve Basics *For Noobs!*
« Reply #1 on: 02:42 AM - 10/24/12 »
I might have missed it, but what dpi is your mouse with these curves?
PS3 | C:PS3 | XIM Edge | 1021| Mon: BenQ XL2420T | Pad: STEELSERIES 9HD | KB: Qpad MK-85| A: Turtle Beach PX5 | M:Logitech G500| D:3600 | P:1000 | COD HIP:22.30 ADS:20.65

Offline KuzuRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:14 AM - 10/24/12 »
I might have missed it, but what dpi is your mouse with these curves?

These are not my curves. They are from the other Ballistic Curve Basics thread. The creator notes were "mw3 snipe @ 1800dpi".  I just wanted to use them as an example of a more unique curve and a good one to review.

Offline MegaMassacre

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: xGoV SkyFire and xGov Massacre
« Reply #3 on: 07:37 AM - 10/24/12 »
That was good read, and very helpful. I just started using the Edge last night, and I was a bit lost trying to figure out a go good ballistic curve.

Offline KuzuRanger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:33 AM - 10/24/12 »
I am just starting out too, so take everything with a grain of salt. But these are to my knowledge the correct theories behind the chart.

On a side note, the curve I have shown is for a specific case study. The creator is a sniper who wants fine micro movement for ADS, yet who also wants to do crazy spins for either defensive or theatrical reasons. I actually tested this curve out for BF3 and it wasn't horrible but not my cup of tea. But I used this as a reference since I understand what his curves mean.

For me as a markman style player, I want fine micro aiming at lower mouse speeds too. Yet that curve was too low. I would make small mouse movements and my crosshairs would not move at all. That tells me his initial dip is too drastic for what I want to do. I am currently experimenting with different curves.

Offline tommy290

• View Profile
    • Bush League Gaming
  • PSN ID: tommyboy290
« Reply #5 on: 12:15 PM - 10/25/12 »
Awesome. Thanks for the info!
Always looking for people to party up with. Currently playing: MoH: Warfighter (PS3)

YouTube: tommyboy290

Offline Requiem Fiasco

• I'm what you call a "Low sense player"
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Requiem Fiasco
« Reply #6 on: 07:59 AM - 11/03/12 »
Good read man. I have not dabbled in ballistics as much as I am a low sens 1:1 player. I do see the benefit and have made a tank config that works well.

On to your explanation of the the ballistic curve. Well done understanding and relaying the premise. For additional information to the reader I am throwing up a graph of raw mouse input so people understand what data is being sent to the XIM.

The graph here shows raw mouse input up to 6 meters per second on a Sensei. Numbers on the right are mm per second and bottom are milliseconds. When you modify a ballistic curve you are modifying these input values and either boosting mouse input through the xim or reducing it.
Obsiv you should put a warning on XIMs, just like the warnings on cigarettes. " WARNING: Using XIM causes other players to hate you."

Xbox | C:MS | Edge | 0824EX | Mon: SA750 | Pad: Xtrac Ripper XXL | KB: DasKeyboard | A: AX Pro | M:Sensei | D:11340 | P:1000 | COD HIP:2.02 ADS:1.14

Sensei: REVIEW
http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=23998.0
DasKeyboard: REVIEW
http://ww

Offline Cg13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10:56 PM - 12/03/12 »
Sweet post! I'm dabbling into fine tuning my ballistics ATM.  I have a post I'm readying to share when I'm finished testing.

Love this piece of equipment! 

Now if I could "program" myself to be a smarter black ops player hahha

So many times I see a guy go running off screen and I feel the need to chase only to get popped by a sniper in the window overlooking the whole street

Offline killawink64

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Fouldeth
« Reply #8 on: 11:39 AM - 07/29/14 »
I pretty much understood these ballistic settings. I also read a lot from the BC library. I did notice that most dealt with curves when using aim assist. I was wondering if anyone uses ballistic curves, AND do not use aim assist. I am interested how many people do this and what curve they use. I have the best luck so far with the default curve.

Offline full58

• The opposite of empty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:56 PM - 09/07/14 »
I prefer a curve on the hip fire and no curve on the ads

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
« Reply #10 on: 07:39 AM - 09/08/14 »
I prefer a curve on the hip fire and no curve on the ads

i suppose i would like it like that, but normally i shoot someone infront of me and then need to 180 to shoot someone behind me and i do this all ADS.

Offline Aiken_Drum

• Support Staff
  • MVP
  • You talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07:12 PM - 09/08/14 »
I prefer a curve on the hip

Must not make... inappropriate jokes... on the job...  :-X

Admin