XIM Community

Major Issues with Left 4 Dead - Need some serious help  (Read 3588 times)

Offline AngelsAdvance

• View Profile
Re: Major Issues with Left 4 Dead - Need some serious help
« Reply #15 on: 03:57 PM - 03/19/09 »
turn out it was my ximconfiguration. i was able to run that app and not it plays a LOT better but I now see what you guys are saying about this acceleration!!! gggrrrrrr  i hate how you slide your mouse at a steady pace but it speeds up on its own :(
=) yep... It helps if you are a twitch gamer since small movements will be registered... that and I use the 180 spin bind instead of secondary sensitivity to swing around fast.. then use secondary to either tighten up sensitivity or loosen it up just for per situation basis.

Hopefully the console command can be figured out to work.

Offline Snow

• Master of Radiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04:28 PM - 03/19/09 »
Hey Omen, glad to hear you got it to work. However, I think you still need to calibrate, or is that already done? What's your calibration .ini now?

If it is calibrated then here are some suggestions to counter acceleration: Try a lower translation exponent with higher sensitivity setting. It may be able to kill some of the acceleration. I'm assuming your update rate is fine - at 55 - 60. Also, play around with your in-game sensitivity setting. I'm pretty sure (unless I missed it) that L4D has different settings. Try a mid-range. Even at low sensitivity, your cursor can still zip around.

Also, if you've calibrated, run your deadzoner again (or use a deadzone from someone elses L4D config).

From here on in, it will take a bit of patience, as you may be tweaking and testing for a while until you find just the right configuration. Once you do, you'll be a machine. Keep us posted.

"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb" - Dark Helmet

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09:45 AM - 03/28/09 »
turn out it was my ximconfiguration. i was able to run that app and not it plays a LOT better but I now see what you guys are saying about this acceleration!!! gggrrrrrr  i hate how you slide your mouse at a steady pace but it speeds up on its own :(

Yes, this is a plague with alot of games. L4D is typical of what alot of xb360 games do, some are worse than others. L4d is much much better to play with than say, Far Cry 2. Some games feel great like COD4/WAW and other games like Halo 3 feel really good too, although not as good as COD.

I swear, if every dev just used COD as a template for controls, I would be in heaven.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02:43 AM - 03/29/09 »
Now please don't everyone attack me if this is a stupid suggestions or question.. Would it be possible for a program to be made that when moving the mouse at a slow steady speed it would register to the XIM/controller that you were just barely pressing the joystick left/right/up/down and the faster you moved the mouse, it would be closer to pressing the joystick all the way? Sorry if I described this poorly.. My knowledge isn't too sharp on the whole peripherals category.

Offline AngelsAdvance

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11:08 PM - 03/31/09 »
Now please don't everyone attack me if this is a stupid suggestions or question.. Would it be possible for a program to be made that when moving the mouse at a slow steady speed it would register to the XIM/controller that you were just barely pressing the joystick left/right/up/down and the faster you moved the mouse, it would be closer to pressing the joystick all the way? Sorry if I described this poorly.. My knowledge isn't too sharp on the whole peripherals category.
This is essentially what the XIM software is doing.  It's not necessarily measuring the speed of your mouse but it does register the distance your mouse moves.  In other words up to a certain point the xim software is translating little movements on your joystick.  Its as if you were just barely pressing the joystick.  Once you reach the max movement for the joystick however there is no way to increase it past that point.  That is why their is the translation component which basically tries to slow movement down as acceleration increases... Hoping that the end result is a fluid steady speed of movement.

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11:33 PM - 03/31/09 »
Thank you! I finally understand that translation component now. It's a little hard for my to understand what a lot of people are talking about because I do not have my XIM yet. So I can't relate in anyway. So I read their problems and I'm like, "How the @#$% would that happen?"..

Offline AngelsAdvance

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11:56 PM - 03/31/09 »
Haha, yeah it gets easier to understand when you are messing with the values directly and seeing the changes they make in game.  Also when the xim is running if you have dual monitors you will see a little xbox diagram that will show you what buttons you are pressing.  It will also show you how much mouse movement is pressing the analog how far.
This explains it best:

On a standard mouse keyboard setup that would mean you are moving your mouse right fairly hard and up slightly and you are holding down 's' and 'd' keys (for down and right on the left analog) as well as multiple button presses.

Offline Voli

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12:08 AM - 04/01/09 »
Very cool. I will have my TV play as the "extra monitor". That way if I need to see anything while I'm in-game, I can just turn and look at my TV.. I'm thinking about getting an extra monitor.. They're pretty cheap.