XIM Community

A scientific method for choosing sensitivity.  (Read 5960 times)

Offline Requiem Fiasco

• I'm what you call a "Low sense player"
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Requiem Fiasco
A scientific method for choosing sensitivity.
« on: 02:44 PM - 08/30/12 »
 I have gathered this information for an outside source and considering the original thread is now on a defunct server I dont think he will mind. I have linked the original thread, however not much outside of the basic method was copied.

http://www.overclock.net/t/173255/cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide

What I am outlining requires a fair amount of free storage on your XIM so you may need to back up your saves.

Go into your Xim manager and copy the config for the game you will be using to adjust your sensitivity. Take the xim values and double them. If your sensitivity is 20 for ads and hip make them 40. Take and copy your base config again and put the value of 10 into hip and ads essentially halving your current sensitivity. What you are looking for is a config that is at your current sensitivity, a config that is at twice your sensitivity, and a config that is at half your sensitivity.

Now launch the game that you have been modifying your configs for. Find an empty lobby or create a custom game. Go to a somewhat open area and find a wall, fire a burst into it to create a man sized target that you will be using as a reference.

The idea behind this exercise is to discover at what sensitivity you can aim reliably at.

Pick a distance at which you normally engage your targets. If you engage your targets at a distance choose a spot further, if you engage your targets at close range get in much closer.

Start strafing back and forth all the while keeping your cross-hairs fixed on those bullet holes. Imagine the holes are the end of an invisible rope attached to your barrel, your cross-hairs should not move off of that point at all.

If you find yourself having trouble keeping your aim steady your sensitivity is too high for the distance you engage targets at. If you find that you are having trouble keeping up with the bullet holes or are running out of mouse-pad your sensitivity may be too low.

Now compare all three configs and rate in order of 1-3. If for example you had the high sens config rated 3, the base point config rated at 2 and the 1/2 sens config rated at 1  you know you need to go down in sensitivity. Now you will need to disconnect your xim and delete your 2x sens config as it ranked the lowest and replace it with a 1/4 sens config which would now have a xim multiplier of 5.

Now you will repeat the above steps until you get to a point where your results start to decline. Lets say that they started to decline at 5. Once you have reached that point you are going to go into xim manager and create two more configs. The first config is going to be in between your best (2nd to lowest) and lowest (the one where it started to decline), that would be a xim multiplier of 7.5 in this case. The second config is going to be between your best multiplier of 10 and your next step up of 15, that will be 12.5.

Now repeat your critique procedure, rate the 3 configs in order of 1-3. Lets say that you rate 12.5 at 3, 7.5 at 2 and 10 at 1. Your next step is to take your 1st place sens (10) and your 2nd place sens 7.5 and create a sens in the middle (8.75). Rinse and repeat.

Continue this process until you can no longer tell the difference between your two best configs. When you can no longer till the difference you have found your ideal sensitivity for your playstyle, take those xim multipliers and average them together by adding them together and dividing by two.

You have now found your perfect sensitivity.

Once you have found the perfect sensitivity you can apply it to all games using the following method. Take a roll of masking tape and put it down on the surface you mouse on. Go to a doorway and stand perfectly underneath it centered under the door. Mark a starting point on the masking tape where you will be starting your 180 turn. Line up your cross-hairs on the doorway. Starting at the point you marked on the masking tape do a level and smooth 180 until you are lined up with the other side of the doorway. Mark that spot and measure if you like. Launch the other title and simply adjust the sensitivity to match your marks.

Now remember this is a guide to get absolute precision out of your aim. If you are a twitch FFA player you may be willing to sacrifice accuracy for situational awareness and speed.
« Last Edit: 02:55 PM - 08/30/12 by Requiem Fiasco »
Obsiv you should put a warning on XIMs, just like the warnings on cigarettes. " WARNING: Using XIM causes other players to hate you."

Xbox | C:MS | Edge | 0824EX | Mon: SA750 | Pad: Xtrac Ripper XXL | KB: DasKeyboard | A: AX Pro | M:Sensei | D:11340 | P:1000 | COD HIP:2.02 ADS:1.14

Sensei: REVIEW
http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=23998.0
DasKeyboard: REVIEW
http://ww

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: A scientific method for choosing sensitivity.
« Reply #1 on: 03:13 PM - 08/30/12 »
lol guys, its just as easy as this ;)

1) enter game
2) invest 1 minute in sensitivity tweaking
3) play the game

works for me in every game, i did it that way since the beginning of playing games
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: ApocalypticWesal
« Reply #2 on: 03:18 PM - 08/30/12 »
Reqiuem i can't read that link as the last few words on every sentence are missing behind that rubbish advertising strip down the right hand side.

Offline Requiem Fiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03:24 PM - 08/30/12 »
Reqiuem i can't read that link as the last few words on every sentence are missing behind that rubbish advertising strip down the right hand side.

It is a real old guide that was once on a now defunct CS board. The link I gave you was to a quote on overclockers. Ill see if I can dig up a better link.
Obsiv you should put a warning on XIMs, just like the warnings on cigarettes. " WARNING: Using XIM causes other players to hate you."

Xbox | C:MS | Edge | 0824EX | Mon: SA750 | Pad: Xtrac Ripper XXL | KB: DasKeyboard | A: AX Pro | M:Sensei | D:11340 | P:1000 | COD HIP:2.02 ADS:1.14

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:38 PM - 08/30/12 »
you can copy the full text out of the quote by marking it with the mouse

make a quote for it in the forum and give credits to the maker or the source link, that should be fine i guess
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

Offline Requiem Fiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:40 PM - 08/30/12 »
you can copy the full text out of the quote by marking it with the mouse

make a quote for it in the forum and give credits to the maker or the source link, that should be fine i guess

I linked and credited the source and used the method only. I think we are fine on that.

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: ApocalypticWesal
« Reply #6 on: 03:42 PM - 08/30/12 »
Ok I see what you mean could I copy and paste it to word or note pad.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04:15 PM - 08/30/12 »
yes you can
mark it with the mouse, copy it, and you are fine

see here, copy pasted first two lines, you can read everything

There seems to be a fair amount of misunderstanding about mouse related concepts like resolution, in game sensitivity, acceleration, USB report rates, Windows settings, etcetera.

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: NekkedBare
  • PSN ID: BRB_Krew
« Reply #8 on: 05:32 PM - 08/30/12 »
I like Od1n's method.
My Roccat Sova review:
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=49911.0

Wi-fi speeds

Offline Requiem Fiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05:43 PM - 08/30/12 »
I like Od1n's method.

My method works for me. I come from a motocross background and I used a similar method for tuning suspension. This way is a consistent method for tuning your sensitivity.

I personally feel that aim is just one of many things that can be improved in your game. I am a very analytical person and don't rely on "feel", I prefer something tangible and that can be quantified in some way.

I admit it is a lot of work to use my method but it improved my game and think it may improve yours.

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:48 PM - 08/30/12 »
I like Od1n's method.

My method works for me. I come from a motocross background and I used a similar method for tuning suspension. This way is a consistent method for tuning your sensitivity.

I personally feel that aim is just one of many things that can be improved in your game. I am a very analytical person and don't rely on "feel", I prefer something tangible and that can be quantified in some way.

I admit it is a lot of work to use my method but it improved my game and think it may improve yours.

Then you are a rare breed, my friend  :D
My Roccat Sova review:

Wi-fi speeds

Offline Requiem Fiasco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05:54 PM - 08/30/12 »
There is no denying that. ;)

Offline Johnny

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: AAA
  • PSN ID: AAA
« Reply #12 on: 06:26 PM - 08/30/12 »
I look about this link before and didn't really understand it + bit lazy to read all of it, that's why.

So, I agree to this below which is easy and works good to me. Simple, fast and didn't waste time.
lol guys, its just as easy as this ;)

1) enter game
2) invest 1 minute in sensitivity tweaking
3) play the game

works for me in every game, i did it that way since the beginning of playing games
United Kingdom / Europe

XIM4 & XIM Edge
- PS4
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- PS3

SETUP
Mouse: Logitech G502
Keyboard: CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid-i (Brown Cherry MX) - Soon
Headset: Astro A40 TR w/ Black Mixamp Pro
Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM

Offline AFF

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: AFST3R
« Reply #13 on: 05:21 AM - 08/31/12 »
thanks for this, i will try it

i always wanted a method that's based on methods rather than just playing and adjusting

so whilst going back and forth i just need to ensure the cross is on the object i have created

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08:12 AM - 08/31/12 »
Requiem, you should make a tut vid for those of us too lazy to read
My Roccat Sova review:

Wi-fi speeds