XIM Community

XIM Edge Impressions / Reviews ...  (Read 20934 times)

Offline Equinox

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: EQUIN0XIX
XIM Edge Impressions / Reviews ...
« on: 04:54 AM - 08/02/12 »
Hello all.

Yesterday i recieved my XIM Edge in the mail, and im so happy with it i decided to make a review of my experiences.

I am a pc gamer, always have been always will be.
I have been telling my friends to get a pc for ages, but they never do.
Instead they (think they) invented online gaming on the xbox360.
Being a pc gamer i have no intention of buying any console.
Recently they pooled up and bought me one, which forced me into the world of console gaming.

Unfortunately that didnt go well, i just cannot cope with a controller.
I can rant all day about how a controller is unsuited for fps gameplay, but il spare you these details.
The fact of the matter is, i just dont have the required precision in my thumbs for accurate aiming.
After a few hard fails i decided to see if i could combine pc and console gaming.

After a quick google search and reading some gaming magazines reviews i found myself on this page.
Having read the possibilties i decided to take the leap and buy one.
The price of the XIM Edge is not a terrible sin, but its still something to think about.
Being in europe also adds shipping costs, but i had to try it.

Quickly after ordering i was afraid i messed up in the payment screen.
I send an email with questions, which to my joy got a very quick and ampt response.
Often (and especialy with these kind of products) the customer service is a nightmare.
But the prompt reply containing all the answers gives allot of trust.

The delivery was examplary, it took only 2 days from shipping till delivery in europe.
Having the tracking number emailed to me also meant i could anticipate its arrival.

After carefully unwrapping the unit, the first thing i noticed is how small and light it is.
The box also contains an usb cable for connection to pc or the console.
The usb cable has a very generous length, which really makes connecting everything allot easyer.
Furthermore there is a very detailed quick start guide, which quickly helps you on your way.

The first connect to my pc was uneventfull, the manager software immidiately connected as it should.
Being preloaded with a few games settings, i chose edit on the ones i play and set my button preferences.
After clicking save and exit a popup informed me i could remove the unit.

Unfortunately the first attempt at playing did not go according to plan.
Having connected all the peripherals in the right order, and to the xbox the unit kept blinking red-green-blue.
Various unfruitfull attempts later i decided to reconnect it to the pc, but to no luck, it wouldnt connect either.
A quick search on these forums gave me the answers what was wrong, and more importantly how to fix it.
Being most likely a user (me) error, i decided not to look into it further.
After pressing the red button while connecting the unit continued working as it should.
Unfortunately all presets were deleted, but through the add section restoring them was really easy.
After once again setting my preferences i was finaly ready to play.

I decided to first explore in an empty server.
Using the ingame config option it took maybe 5 minutes to find my optimal setting.
I was extremely pleasantly suprised on how well this system works.
The mouse lets you aim just like it does on the pc, and it really does 1 on 1.
The controls take a min to get used to, due to the limitations of the controller.
For example you cant scroll through your weps, but only switch you primary and secondary.
Also gadgets have seperate buttons, instead of being on the mouse wheel.

The switch between hip and ads works amazingly, allowing you to set theyre sensitivity seperately.
This really helps with precise aiming while still being able to move fast around the field.
Unfortunately vehicles (such as in bf3) and turrets use the ads settings aswell.
Which makes making full turns a lil bit harder (especialy because im a low-sense gamer).
Luckely the controller stays active at all times, you can just switch to the controller for these.

I played for many hours straight deep into the night.
This time without the constant fails of the controller.
I had great fun, and can finaly play with rl friends.

All in all i have to say that every penny was well spend.
Ive also ordered a KVM switch to quickly switch between pc and console.
Having them both on the same monitor, its just a matter of seconds to switch.

Punchline..:
If you are a pc gamer, that needs a pc solution for console, get yourself a XIM Edge, you wont regret it.

« Last Edit: 08:58 AM - 08/02/12 by OBsIV »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Re: General XIM Edge review
« Reply #1 on: 08:53 AM - 08/02/12 »
Welcome to the community and thank you for your review. Sorry to hear about your initial difficulty. Please be sure to upgrade to the latest firmware which makes it harder for you to accidentally lose your Configs like this.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline ogik

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: DiaboliCnindza
Re: XIM Edge Impressions / Reviews ...
« Reply #2 on: 06:05 PM - 08/14/12 »
I wanted to leave a short review regarding the XIM Edge product, and the current setup I'm running.

First off I want to thank the XIM Team for really putting together an unmatchable product along with this forum that has tons of resources and really helped me set this thing up in less then 15 minutes.

Coming from FragFX all I can say is   WOW  what was I thinking playing with that thing and wasting over $100 just to get the PC Mouse feel. All I can say playing 10 minutes with Edge properly configured it felt better then PC....YES I said it even better then PC, its that smooth. I almost feel bad for anyone not using this device because my ratio in BF3 with the FragFX was pretty impressive but this...this....this is unbelievable. I feel like I'm playing BF3 on PC again...

A very quick setup, and since I did my homework before receiving the EDGE I was literally done setting up everything in 15min.

Current setup is.

G700 (5700 DPI - 1000 port/second)
FragFX Chuck (With USB extension cable, since it is too wide and wont fit directly in the port)

Now this leaves me with just one question?

How the hell do you turn XIM off WITHOUT plugging it out of the Xbox, after I'm done playing and the Xbox is powered off the EDGE stays lit....Please tell me I don't have to unplug it every time?

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Offline FirstRespond3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: NekkedBare
  • PSN ID: BRB_Krew
« Reply #3 on: 02:52 PM - 08/15/12 »
Ordered it Friday morning, chose express saver shipping, got it Tuesday afternoon. Very fast shipping, considering I ordered it over the weekend.

Here's my setup: Logitech K120 Keyboard, Logitech G500 Mouse, Gamestop controller

Setting up was a breeze.

After setting everything up through my computer, I connected the XIM to my xbox 360 and booted up BF3. I went into a random server and stayed in spawn to mess with my settings. Following the quick start guide made everything very easy. I was able to set my key bindings in no time at all.  Even without messing with the sensitivities, it felt amazing.. truly a 1:1 feel as advertised. However, I ended up raising both the hip and ADS sensitivities as I got used to playing an FPS with a mouse again.

But the big question every possible buyer wants to know is.. does it improve performance? Yes. It will allow you to be more precise and more aware. The differences between a controller and a keyboard+mouse are night and day. You can enter a building and quickly scan it, and easily put bullets through any enemy player you see. Moving target? Not a problem, true 1:1 allows you to very easily track any target. Getting shot from behind? You can instantly turn around, put your sights on the player shooting you, and take him out. Not sure how many people I've pissed off tonight. Just make sure to remember that the XIM itself won't make you good. It will allow you to be as precise as you possibly can.

As far as vehicles go, it's not that hard picking up the controller to control the turrets and aircraft. I honestly can't blame XIM for this.. it's the limitation of a console game.

Speaking of limitation of a console game, I definitely felt a difference between HALO Reach and Battlefield 3. When I decided to give Reach a try with the XIM, I noticed it doesn't feel as good as BF3 does. It feels MUCH better than using a controller, but it just doesn't feel as natural as BF3. However, the XIM did raise my performance in HALO Reach by a lot. I'm taking headshot after headshot... something that I was never able to do with a controller (I was never a good HALO player to begin with). And since I've always played on low sensitivity in HALO games, being able to turn instantly felt great.

Overall, I am very satisfied with it. It makes console gaming so much more fun and it's great playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse again. Very easy to use, great out of the box, true 1:1 feel. If it broke, I would immediately order another one because I can't see myself going back to the controller. It's money very well spent.
My Roccat Sova review:
http://xim4.com/community/index.php?topic=49911.0

Wi-fi speeds

Offline Syko_Esquire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03:51 PM - 08/23/12 »
I just received my XIME in the mail yesterday, purchasing and delivery of product was easy and expeditious.  I am primarily using the XIME for BF3 on the PS3.  I purchased a G13 game board and G9x Mouse (though my brother recommended a Steelseries XAI, not sure about compatibility).  I would recommend any mouse with on-the-fly DPI settings.  Setup was a breeze, even considering I am not at all familiar with FPSs on PCs.  There was a slight learning curve on familiarization with my new setup (native PC gamers should fall right in), but my capabilities and accuracy were drastically improved.  Once my sensitivities were dialed in, everything was smooth and aiming became intuitive.  I have to say this is an awesome product through and through.  I would definitely recommend this product to those shopping around for kb/m solutions for consoles (though all my friends just tell me to buy a gaming PC).

Offline mitorious

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: mitorious
« Reply #5 on: 01:08 AM - 08/29/12 »
Hi Guys

Just thought I'd share my experiences 1 month on.

INTRO

Well, I'm a long time PC gamer and used to have some pretty good lan party skills. Sadly, as I'm sure many other XIM'ers have the same issue, all my friends are on console. There are, of course some benefits to console play, not least of which is the lack of cheating. I still purchase all the BF games for PC as well but find that a real turn off. Over the last few years though my controller skills have improved and I easily maintain a K/D of 1.5 on controller but always found myself annoyed by how hard some things are with it.

Finally, I cracked, and picked up a SplitFish SharkFX to see if a mouse might suit my needs on console. I'd previously tried other controllers such as the Onza and found them to make almost no difference. So I give the FragFX a whirl. Frankly it was a revelation, rubbish to be sure, but a revelation anyway. Aiming become a total nightmare of rough stepping issues and the mouse was beyond garbage. However, in spite of these criminally bad usability issues it was simply wonderful to have fast accurate(ish) control again. My play didn't improve overall but I gained immeasurably in situational awareness. I also foudn the nunchuck to be pretty @#$% good.

I was sold, now all I needed was something (much) better.

XIM EDGE First impressions

So a bit later I had a small looking package from the states at no small amount of outlay, combined with the cost of a G700 (I orginally tried my old MX518 but the optical sensor lit up my darkened room like a flashlight), the cost of a Sony Nav (I liked the FragFX controller but it gave me hand cramp after extended sessions) and a new pad. All in; it was way more than the cost of a new XBOX!

All I had was this tiny, if well made, grey box.

Then I plugged it in and started setting it up. Oh my god, was I impressed. Years of software development have accustomed me to most devices having terrible UI. The fact that this niche device even works reliably is impressive let alone how well it works. Software updates never make it feel like you'll brick something and the whole thing is intuitive and slick. If it performs like it looks - I thought to myself - I'm in for a treat.

XIME IN USE

So after about ten minutes of setup I was sat down controller in hand. The XIME allows for fairly easy setup via the PC once you know the button config of your Mouse but also allows quick and easy changes via the wired xbox controller (required).

Thats pretty much it. I'm a high DPI player and I was instantly blown away by the 1:1 feel the XIM provides. I've played far too many PC games over the years that have horrible mouse smoothing or acceleration that can't be disabled. XIM is NOTHING like that. Using my new little toy feels suddenly like I'm using a well set up and encoded PC game. On top of that I feel that the flexibility of controls is actually far better than you tend to get on PC. Setting up Battlefield on PC is more laborious and doesn't let you have quite as much context sensitive simplification as the console; which I personally like a lot. That flexibility also comes into play for setting up separate control schemes for vehicles which also makes a hell of a difference.

Overall my K/D has improved to around the 1.8-2.0 mark but the main difference is the feel of being connected to the game. I don't miss the rumble like I thought I would and I love being able to get kills on people who are bunny hopping or tucked into awkward corners that would normally be hard to hit.

All in all it's just totally worth the outlay. Even if, like me, you've become very used to and quite happy with the controller (around 1000 hours on BF games alone). Slowly my old Mouse skills are coming back!

WRAP UP

Simply love it. I've had a small technical issue with sound and a system like this will never be as clean or simple as a controller but overall it's borderline perfect. I still wait for Wireless Sony NAV support but with OBSiVs superb technical support and updates I don't doubt it's coming.

I'm a convert!

SETUP

XIM EDGE
XBOX 360 + official wired controller
Astro Mix amp and Sennheiser PC360 headset
G700 mouse in high polling mode wireless
Razr Mouse mat
Sony Wired NAV
Pioneer FP with 106" fixed frame screen in a 'bat-cave'
SVS PB13U sub and Crowson transducers

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: mynameiscolb
« Reply #6 on: 01:49 PM - 08/29/12 »
I've been rocking the XIM2 for a few years now, and it's exceed expectations in every way. What was originally hours and hours of frustration on the sticks, translated into hours and hours of fun playing on a mouse & keyboard (mostly on Call of Duty).

When the XIM3 was released, I passed on purchasing the device. I was THAT much in love with my 2. Since COD was my primary game, I felt no need to upgrade. But then Valve announced CS:GO on console. I began to dread the thought of hitting release day with the XIM2, knowing Valve's crazy look mechanics. Their games are so wacky, and it makes aiming with a stick or mouse very difficult.

Last week, I bit the bullet and ordered my Edge. It arrived today, and here are my first impressions:

Initial setup was an absolute breeze. Seriously. I read through the quick start guide once (provided in the packaging), and already felt like I knew what I was doing. And I didn't even watch any of the videos (yet). I downloaded the latest software, updated the Edge, saved, closed, and disconnected. Only took 3 or 4 minutes total.

Connecting it to my XBOX, was again, very simple. There's a diagram right on the quick start guide that even shows you the preferred ports for your controller, mouse, & keyboard. Bang. Plugged it up, fired up the XBOX. Launched COD4.

Once in game, I noticed my sensitivity was crazy high. At first, I thought navigating a menu of colored lights may get confusing. I was wrong. Being able to change my sensitivity on the fly, and being able to feel it as I go is just a great great feature. Gone are the days of switching my monitor input over to PC, adjusting my config, saving, switching back, testing...yadda yadda.

Changing the binds for my buttons was very simple as well. IMO this is a well engineered device. It's blown me away. And like I said, I was a XIM2 user afraid to make the jump. Well worth the money spent.

Now, for the actual feel of the product. This device honestly makes Call of Duty feel like a PC. The 1:1 movement is very consistent with my PC version of the game. This is great, because now I can play both versions and never have to "adjust" my aim to match the mechanics of the game. But we knew it would be awesome in COD, what about a really tough game to translate?

CS:GO

Before I say anything, any potential buyer that is reading this, understand that CS:GO has a very very wacky look mechanic. Wacky. Time based acceleration. Aim dampening. You name it. That being said, I was shocked at how well the XIM Edge felt in this game. Granted, it's not 100% perfect, due to the limitations of the game itself. But there is absolutely NO product in the world that could match the XIM Edge's precision in this specific game. If I have any complaints, it's with the game developer, Valve. Not the Edge.

To top it all off, the Edge is nice and compact, and helps neaten up my gaming space a little bit. The LED's provide an extra little glow that's not too bright, but easy to see in the day and night. The structure of the device is light weight, but very durable.

Bottom line: It's the best mouse & keyboard adapter on the market. Doesn't matter if you use a PS3 or an XBOX (it supports both, natively, btw). If you don't buy one, then you hate cute puppies.

Offline He4DHuNt3r

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: XuK He4DHuNt3r
  • PSN ID: He4DHuNt3r_XIM
« Reply #7 on: 10:03 AM - 09/03/12 »
A picture is worth a thousand words, Without the XIM I couldn't achieve these stats.

Thanks OBsIV (XIM Team) for the awesome product!                 
 (I know this isn't much a review but I'm sure the Pictures make up for the lack of words  ;) :P )

« Last Edit: 05:33 AM - 09/04/12 by He4DHuNt3r »
I just wanted to say that you are a phenomenal gamer. You make it look so easy and your gameplay has this commanding "tone" to it (i.e. not frantic -- more of a dominating calm :) ).

Offline sick2death

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ludicrousgib
  • PSN ID: ludicrousgib-
« Reply #8 on: 04:55 AM - 09/04/12 »
Seriously head, you should play SnD competitvley.

Offline shiaruafps

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: shiarua
« Reply #9 on: 09:44 AM - 09/11/12 »
My review here

My story is probably similar to that of a lot of people on this forum.

Having been a long time PC gamer, there is one thing that pisses me off about the gaming industry - they cater almost exclusively to the console market. While we are seeing developers move slightly away from this trend, for the time being it still seems like PC gamers are getting the shaft.

I've also always been a little upset that consoles get a lot of exclusive titles that are not made available on the PC (ie Halo). With the release of Halo 4 and Black Ops II right around the corner, I figured I would pick up an Xbox 360. I'll probably play Black Ops II primarily on the PC, but with the way Activision operates, the experience will most likely be much better on Xbox.

Anywho, on to the XIM Edge. I've known about XIM for quite some time. I've actually also owned several Xbox 360s in the past, but got rid of them because the experience with them wasn't that enjoyable as an FPS gamer who hates using a controller. It would have been fine if I had never gotten into PC gaming in the first place, but alas, I'm spoiled now having used a mouse and keyboard for years.

When I got the XIM Edge, I was surprised how small it is. I was expecting it to be bigger. It's well designed in my opinion. The only thing I think that could be improved is an indication (perhaps on the bottom) with what gets plugged in where.

I was also pleased to find out about the XIM Commander utility, which would allow me to pass input from my computer directly to the XIM Edge. I have my Xbox 360 hooked up to one of the monitors at my PC and having another mouse and keyboard on my desk just isn't possible. I also didn't want to have to unplug my mouse/keyboard every time I wanted to play Xbox, nor did I want to use a kvm or usb hub. The Xim Commander app solves this problem. However, I really do think this should be a native part of the XIM Manager.

Setup was a breeze and this board contains a lot of useful information for a first time user. I used a calculator someone had made to figure out what I should adjust the sensitivity to based on what I'm used to using in Battlefield 3 on the PC (400 CPI/DPI with my Steelseries Sensei mouse, 1:1 movement ratio, moving my hand 9.5 inches translates to a 90 degree turn).

All in all, I have to say this device is amazing. It works flawlessly and I'm genuinely satisfied with the purchase, though, like I said, it would be nice if the Xim Commander was a native part of the Xim Manager application. I look forward to playing Halo 4 and Black Ops II this fall because of this little device.

If anyone wants to play (Halo Reach/Modern Warfare 3/Black Ops 1), hit me up on XBL. My gamertag is 'shiarua'

Offline Phantom Machine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05:49 AM - 09/13/12 »
I just received my XIM Edge a few days, but I feel like I've had all the time I need to formulate on opinion on this product.

Simply stated, I believe the XIM Edge is the pinnacle of after market gaming peripherals. It couldn't be more user friendly or effective. The fact that this device was independently developed is astounding to me.

You guys have created an amazing product and I wish you success in all your future endeavors.

Offline Armin Metrac

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Cabal3356
« Reply #11 on: 04:40 PM - 09/14/12 »
Thank you to the XIM developers for creating such an effective product for people who do not like using controllers for consoles.  I am one that really hates using controllers for first person shooters because I need my accuracy and comfort to be just as it is on PC.  Thank you very much and I hope you guys keep making more XIM products for future consoles if they don't support mouse and keyboard for native use.  Thank you very much.

Offline Justin13692

• PeakForNothing
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ExcellentJustin
« Reply #12 on: 04:59 PM - 09/14/12 »
When I received my XIM Edge, I was so excited to open it! I hooked it up and started editing the config to my likings. Then I hooked it up and played it the rest of the day. It was great. The most excellent product that works very well. It took about 1/2 hr to get used to but I still liked it  I love the XIM Edge! If you are worried that you aren't a great PC gamer with FPS Games, then don't worry. This will help you get used to it and love playing Xbox again. Get this product. It is great. OBsIV is awesome. Also the XIM Community! Great work you guys who helped design it. Many thanks to OBsIV!
XIM: Edge | Razer DeathAdder | Razer Goliathus Control Edition | Elgato Game Capture HD

Offline cisco

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: RedHairHaze
  • PSN ID: RedHairHaze
« Reply #13 on: 11:33 AM - 09/22/12 »

I was gonna build a gaming PC, and was already putting a list together. when i added everything up it was Crazy expensive. Then i found this product comparing other converters. I saw how new it was and said to myself that it has to be the best one since its new. I dont even wanna know with what i wouldve had to deal with the Eagle eye or whatever, but this product pretty much saved me 2,000$ because now I dont even wanna spend that on a PC, I bought an iphone 5 instead :P.

A BIG BIG THANK YOU, to OBsIV,Od1n, Mist(4 always helping in forum) and all who put their time in to design, and perfect this product. you guys have a customer for life,  8)

My official setup is
wired Ds3
Cyber Snipa Gamepad V2
Logitech G500 BF3=  @ 5,700 dpi infantry/vehicles  h:78
                                  @ 3,200 dpi sniping                a:80

cs:go=     @5,700dpi w/ hip=60<-----makes ST perfect for me (makes u forget the Tspeed)

Blackops= @ 5,700  h:40
                                                        A:40        works awesome

Blackops 2: can't wait  ;D

Offline OLongJohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05:24 PM - 09/24/12 »
Finally through the initial setup and adjustment period.

Went 13 of 16 (1st place) in FFA's this past Sat morning..........

also, turning out alot of 20:5 AON games as well.

I'm hooked for good - the field on ps3 is just so more immense than pc.

Keep it up guys.......

OLong