XIM Community

BenQ monitor questions  (Read 2598 times)

Offline NotHuman

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: NotHuman hd
BenQ monitor questions
« on: 11:07 AM - 07/11/12 »
My 2 year old 21.5" Asus VH222 took a dive on me and I'm looking to get another monitor for my PS3 (mostly BF3 and BO2). I was hoping I can get a few questions answered before i pull the trigger on my next purchase. After looking through past monitor threads on these forums, Ive come across many BenQ references and apparently some members here even use them. After doing some reserach, I'm leaning toward picking up a BenQ XL2420T ($400), most specifically for the Black eQualizer and low input lag; though, I'm not sure if i can justify spending $150 premium on the unneeded 3D and 120hz features. This led me to the cheaper 60hz non-3D BenQ RL2450HT ($250); however, its listed as a RTS monitor and I'm not sure if the Black eQualizer and responsiveness will work correctly with FPS games.

Do you think its worth spending $400 when I can pick up a CRT much cheaper since i wont benefit from 120hz? And does anyone know if the RTS BenQ work well with FPS games, including its black eQualizer feature? From what I've heard you have to download preset game-specific config settings to the monitor or some stuff and the RTS and FPS versions are incompatible in this regard. Guessing, i would have to manually configure the monitor??? Thx for your time.

« Last Edit: 08:44 AM - 07/12/12 by NotHuman »

Offline hitbox240

• View Profile
Re: BenQ monitor questions
« Reply #1 on: 10:22 AM - 07/27/12 »
You would need to buy the TX if you want the 1.4 HDMI for the ps3.
It's amazing for the PC and i'm using it for the ps3 and I can say its great but in 60hz mode its not the fastest you can find.  I will say i have a Sony Fw900 CRT the holy grail of crt's and the benq beats it due to the black equalizer for bf3 you can see everything! I would say it's the best gaming monitor out and has the same input lag as the sony fw900 @ 1900x1200 @106hz ZERO input lag but I perfer the Benq since I can see better in darker games. Sorry for grammer it's my day off and I'm drunk @ 11am  ;D

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:53 PM - 07/27/12 »
benq`s gaming monitors are pretty beasty
if you want to cut costs, stay 60 fps
for a future proof monitor maybe 120, but its not sure if the next console version will have 120 fps...
PS5 & X1 | C: MS | XIM Apex & Nexus | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Glorious Model O | D: 1800 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIM Central

Offline hitbox240

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:35 PM - 07/27/12 »
So in 120hz mode =PC gaming with 120frames or more there is no input lag what so ever.
once this is in 60hz mode= PS3 the screen still has zero input lag but it isn't the fastest 60hz monitor you can find as far as response time ( input lag is time between GPU in ps3 to screen/ response time is how fast screen changes pixels).
After that being said input lag is far more important for gaming and the black equalizer alone is worth it as it's not just gama turned all the way up.  Just remmeber you will need to spend extra $100 to get the TX version of the monitor as it has built in IR and has 1.4 HDMI connection for PS3 (HDMI 1.4= 3d)
Ohh also it has one of the best menu interfaces I've seen and looks Ohh so pretty!!

Offline StormFuror

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: StormFuror
  • PSN ID: StormFuror
« Reply #4 on: 11:09 AM - 07/28/12 »
You want a monitor with fast response time. The 60 or 120hz monitors mean the screen just refreshes 60 times per second or 120 times per second. Response time basically is how fast a pixel can respond to on or off, or basically for us how fast it can respond to movement. A screen can have a 120hz rating but have a 5 or higher ms response and can perform badly. I have a 55" Sharp LED 120hz TV but I have a 5ms response time. And it drives me nut, my gaming monitor is a 120hz 23" Asus 3d monitor that has a 2ms response time. And it is by far the best looking screen I have seen. So I would recommend on finding a monitor with a low MS response over worrying about 60 or 120hz.

I'm horrible at explaining the technical details. I'de recommend googling the info. The #1 thing I look at before I buy a monitor is its MS response time. Then I go from there. For me its 2MS  or its not being bought.

Admin