Windows 8 Hate?  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: H3X AntiStyle
Windows 8 Hate?
« on: 12:08 PM - 07/07/12 »
So here's my question; what's with all of the Windows 8 hatred going around? I get that the Metro interface is different (I won't say bad... I don't believe that it is), but that can be taken off and returned to the 7 style start menu. With the exception of that one thing, which is subjective and reversible anyway, Windows 8 has a @#$% ton of improvements, not to mention that it has a vastly improved Explorer and even more keyboard shortcuts (and as a shortcut whore I absolutely love them). Honestly the only reason I'm not using it right now is simply because of the gradual freezing bug that is present in the preview, but supposedly fixed for the retail version.

So why all the hate? Is it just the internet hating for the sake of hating as usual?

The M on the cover is supposed to let you know you need to be mature.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8 Hate?
« Reply #1 on: 01:16 PM - 07/07/12 »
can't say I've seen a lot of windows 8 hate.  Seems like I've seen more praise for it since Surface was announced.

As for me, as long as I don't have to use metro on my desktop machine, I'll be good.

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01:35 PM - 07/07/12 »
Metro really just replaces your start menu anyway, and is a basis for some of the included apps... As soon as it starts up just hit Win+D and bam, no more metro. It's not like it's the whole OS.

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:15 PM - 07/07/12 »
Windows H8

*Gets coat*

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04:17 PM - 07/07/12 »
metro on wp7 = epic
metro on w8 = epic... failure

ill stay on 7 till someone has a legit reason to move to 8. which doesn't exist. its not like vista->7, where 7 simply faster lower end hardware with striped flash drives.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline stetab

• MVP
  • (✌゚∀゚)☞
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: BO4TZ
« Reply #5 on: 05:32 PM - 07/07/12 »
It seems like its mostly just people regurgitating crap that they heard elsewhere.

can't say I've seen a lot of windows 8 hate.  Seems like I've seen more praise for it since Surface was announced.

As for me, as long as I don't have to use metro on my desktop machine, I'll be good.

Check out any Win8 post on Reddit and you'll get the gist

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:23 PM - 07/07/12 »
I thought the idea of Metro on a desktop OS was a pretty bad idea... until I actually installed it to try out the desktop interface's improvements (And just general curiosity), and I actually love it. The Metro apps themselves aren't all that great, but as a replacement for the Start Menu it does everything it did and more, in an easier to use interface that doesn't look half bad. If Live tiles can be applied to normal desktop apps, then there really isn't a reason to dislike it, except for the sake of disliking it. It's not like the Metro screen is ugly, and you only see it when you ask for it.

And, as I've heard, you can turn the @#$% thing off. I'd think that anyone who dislikes it that much will probably have the technical skill to open up regedit and click a few times to keep the improved Explorer and other such.

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06:35 PM - 07/08/12 »
my issue is that win8 simply brings nothing new to the table aside from metro. thus, if you're not going to use it. why bother?
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ultim83
« Reply #8 on: 09:30 AM - 07/09/12 »
Hello everyone :)

Right Windows 8 it much more optimised for todays tech.
So for example hardware with UEFI bios's will benefit with handover times during boot.
It also uses less resources to run such as memory.

In short its a Windows 7 thats been optimised for todays tech and future tech.
Sure its been given Metro which is needed to compete against the various tablet OS's available now but I believe you can switch it off and run it without that horrible GUI.

Do you need it?

Well if you have a new PC with UEFI (Make sure your UEFI utilises the new features of windows 8) then yeah why not.

If you dont then its not really a necessity.

:)

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:53 AM - 07/09/12 »
Thumb Up @ Ultim8, really informative and objecive post. I guess ppl just get too mad over little things like not having the "Start" Button any more. (Im sure ppl will find a way to enable it)

Offline Ultim8

• MVP
  • Gamertag = Ultim83
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Ultim83
« Reply #10 on: 10:03 AM - 07/09/12 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_UMuB2PC-M

;)  Already registry hacks for the developer preview.  Personally I will be very surprised if Microsoft do not give you an option to turn it off on the retail release for many reasons.  Not everyone has or wants a touch screen which is metro's main function.  Add to that they still want business clients updating to windows 8 in the future.

Offline Flamemonkey

• MVP
  • Nomnomnom?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10:27 AM - 07/09/12 »
I think the "It's a tablet OS first" bit is pretty silly. There are as many improvements in Win8 as there were in Win7 on the desktop only side. The driver model has apparently been improved to make video cards run faster with less power consumption, TONS of useful Win+_ shortcuts have been added, with Win+X probably being my favorite, and the improvements to the Explorer and Task manager make tasks take a lot less time getting to, like Disk Management right in the explorer pane. They've even added a lot of small things like native .ISO and .ZIP support, and the native ability to have different wallpapers on different monitors.

And until someone gives me a convincing reason as to why not, I actually feel that Metro beats the start menu for use on Desktop. Yes, it's still in infancy and could use some improvements, I never said it was perfect, but something as simple as letting you shrink the icons by about 50% would basically make it a pretty enhanced explorer window for launching @#$%. I used the Start menu in Win7 all the time, and so far have found no reason to go back to 7 or do a registry hack. Yes, there are one or two things that the Metro interface can't do, but that's because now Explorer does it for you.

Admin