XIM Community

Ballistic Curve Basics  (Read 51993 times)

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
Ballistic Curve Basics
« on: 10:32 AM - 07/03/12 »
Figured I'd start a thread for this, now that more people are using the Edge and are probably going to want to experiment with the ballistics curves.  The user manual covers common types of curves for the Edge, but they will still require some tweaking to feel right.   

*NOTE - for any of the curves below, you should adjust your sensitivity to your play style.  I'm running a 3000dpi mouse, so if you run 5700dpi, you will probably have to lower the sensitivity.

BASICS

when you open up the ballistics screen, you'll see two graphs - one for hip fire, and one for Aim Down Sight (ADS).  Each graph will have a 45 degree line going from the bottom left to the top right.  The bottom left starting coordinates are 0,0.  I'm not exactly sure what actual maximum values are, but for sake of example, we will call the top right of the graph 100,100, which represents maximum turn speed at maximum mouse speed.

The ballistics curve starts out on top of the white 45 degree line.  this white line represents the Smart Translator, and linear 1:1 mouse movement.  Any point moved above the line will result in faster movement than that point on the smart translator, and any point moved lower than the line will be slower than that point on the smart translator. 

So if you shift the top half of the dots above the line, you are creating a profile that is faster than the ST at higher mouse speeds.  you can adjust the shape of the dots to create acceleration curves or even slow down parts of the movement range.

The general rule of thumb is anything parallel to the white line is linear (1:1) movement.  if you shift the whole line up, it's like raising your sensitivity.  Shift the line down, and it's like lowering the sensitivity.  as long as it's a 45 degree slope, you will have linear 1:1 movement.

BOOST

The original concept for boost was to emulate a config with a large deadzone on the XIM2, where slower mouse movements produced quicker look speeds, but while still retaining a mostly linear (1:1) ratio.  It allowed you to skip the lower range of look speed, which produced a "snappy" feel, and would also make it easier to break free of the sticky-aim present in Call of Duty games while you were in ADS

Unfortunately, the current boost offset on the XIM3 caused mouse jitter at higher settings, so it's use is limited.  I believe it was Roads(?) and some others that able to achieve good results using the peripheral bridge by making a mouse curve that ramped up speed quickly, but maintained a 0,0 origin in order to eliminate jitter.

So I came up with the curves below which seem to work very well.   The idea here is to leave your starting point at 0,0 so you don't get jitter.  Then you raise the rest of the curve equally to retain your 1:1 ratio for movement.  Keeping the new curve parallel to the ST line will keep the rest of the movement range linear and 1:1.

Here is the curve data you can paste into the XIM Edge.

Code: [Select]
>>> XIM Edge Ballistics START Paste >>>
XEBH:0100222C36404A545E68727C86909AA4AEB8C2C8C8C84A06
XEBA:01001B252F39434D57616B757F89939DA7B1BBC5C8C8BC02
<<< XIM Edge Ballistics END Paste   <<<

FINE AIMING CONTROL

Maybe you like high sense all around, but need more control for slow mouse movements, like for sniping?  Here is an ADS curve I tried that is slow and precise at low mouse speeds, but is faster at normal and higher speeds.  This curve will let you use a higher sensitivity, but still have slow low-speed precision.

(ADS curve only)

Curve Data for fine aiming control curve:

Code: [Select]
XEBH:00000A141E28323C46505A646E78828C96A0AAB4BEC8F506
XEBA:0100020C16202A343E48525C66707A848E98A2ACB6C04C04

EDIT1 - new picture
EDIT2 - curve data to paste into your XIM Edge
EDIT3 - added some basic explanations on how the curve works.
« Last Edit: 02:23 PM - 07/11/12 by OBsIV »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistics Basics
« Reply #1 on: 10:35 AM - 07/03/12 »
i sticky it as that question will come up now a lot more often :)

great tutorial, i like it :)
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:43 AM - 07/03/12 »
Yeah the fine aiming control is what I found on the mac with controllermate to be the thing to do to retain 1:1 and still be able to move pixel by pixel on a  2560x1440 resolution screen. Its simply impossible with 1:1. Well not totally impossible you can go low sens and you wont have a problem.
The graphs above apply for high sens in my opinion wheels. 5600dpi 10sens and above.
Crusade atm: XIM Mouse that is stable 1000hz at 12000 or higher no delays by smoothing. XIM APEX is ridiculous without a XIM Mouse.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:50 AM - 07/03/12 »
yeah, these will be mostly for high sens players.  Though a little boost on the ADS curve will help those who feel they get trapped in CoD's sticky aim also. 

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:06 AM - 07/03/12 »
It might be a real alternative to the high dpi mouse that will be forever unknown if just multiplied by 10 from 1800with all the tracking errors. Seeing what happens on high resolution screen with the amazing controllermate I believe the pixel jumps at a steep high sense is simply because you can not physically make a small movement that will be seen by the XIM as that small movement. A minimal movement is already high on the aim velocity axis. At low sense this is not the case. Same with a high DPI the sens will decrease the line flattens. So the 11400 Sensei player is simply playing low sens but the aim is fast. Still there is something wrong about this and Obsiv should look into it in my opinion. Factorization by the mouse is OK but not by the XIM? Same aiming speed but granular on low DPI?
Crusade atm: XIM Mouse that is stable 1000hz at 12000 or higher no delays by smoothing. XIM APEX is ridiculous without a XIM Mouse.

Offline THE-MARAVINGY

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: ApocalypticWesal
« Reply #5 on: 02:00 PM - 07/03/12 »
Nice insight into how it all works i'll have a tinker with that and see what I can do in ways of performance.

Offline doctorandrew

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: doctor_andrew
« Reply #6 on: 05:56 PM - 07/03/12 »
I'm trying to set up my ballistics curve to mimic toys configuration on mw3 for xim3.  Has anyone successfully done this?  I'm so used to playing it, but since there are no standard translators for xim edge I don't know how to values translate over.  Any help?  Thanks!

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:25 PM - 07/03/12 »
Toys config uses a large deadzone, and TE that adds some degree of acceleration (I think).  Since we can't plot out standard configs, your best bet would be to use something similar to the top picture for "boost" along with a high sensitivity. 

If you also need acceleration, there are a couple of different ways (curves) to do that.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:32 PM - 07/03/12 »
Yes the top picture is pretty much what a standard config with an inflated deadzone and positive acceleration would look like. Try that.

You might want to fix that picture at some point :)
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:32 PM - 07/03/12 »
No there is no positive acceleration after the first small part Odin if a line is parallel to the white line its 1:1. 1:1 is abused a bit here as the mouse movement is never 1:1 corresponding to the screen aim movement in inch and centimeter. So every line parallel to the white lie is 1:1 just a different sens. So you could use a sens 17.0 with the dots on the white line on the second picture and the last 3/4 would feel exactly the same.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:42 AM - 07/04/12 »
yep.  moving the ballistics curve up/down is like changing your "base" sensitivity and maintains linear movement (1:1) - as long as the curve is parallel to the white line. 

I edited the pic to show the latest curve I have on the device.  Also, depending on your mouse DPI, small changes to the ballistics curve can make big results!

Offline doctorandrew

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: doctor_andrew
« Reply #11 on: 12:48 PM - 07/04/12 »
XEBH:0100222C364049535D67717B858F99A3ADB7C1C8C8C84A06
XEBA:01001A242E38424C56606A747E88929CA6B0BAC4C8C8BC02

Thanks Threewheels.  I'll start from your config and tweak it as i needed.

Offline ak-xs

• MVP
  • I'm what you call a player of non sens xD
    • View Profile
    • don't click here!
« Reply #12 on: 03:48 PM - 07/04/12 »
TY man. helpful info
soon..

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09:04 PM - 07/04/12 »
Great Idea Doctorandrew, I just edited my OP and added the curve data for those plots, so people can paste them into their XIM Edge.

Offline SiNister

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10:04 PM - 07/04/12 »
This is an awesome thread. I've been playing around with ballistics with mixed results for vehicles in bf3.

Anyone recommend something for vehicles? Something that forces black dot for a certain amount of time at certain mouse speed swipes whilst keeping regular movements 1:1?

I have a curve that goes like an upside down letter "J" for vehicles. It works but not still seems limited.