XIM Community

Edge - First Impressions from an Old School XIMer  (Read 994 times)

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: mynameiscolb
  • PSN ID: mynameiscolb
I've been rocking the XIM2 for a few years now, and it's exceed expectations in every way. What was originally hours and hours of frustration on the sticks, translated into hours and hours of fun playing on a mouse & keyboard (mostly on Call of Duty).

When the XIM3 was released, I passed on purchasing the device. I was THAT much in love with my 2. Since COD was my primary game, I felt no need to upgrade. But then Valve announced CS:GO on console. I began to dread the thought of hitting release day with the XIM2, knowing Valve's crazy look mechanics. Their games are so wacky, and it makes aiming with a stick or mouse very difficult.

Last week, I bit the bullet and ordered my Edge. It arrived today, and here are my first impressions:

Initial setup was an absolute breeze. Seriously. I read through the quick start guide once (provided in the packaging), and already felt like I knew what I was doing. And I didn't even watch any of the videos (yet). I downloaded the latest software, updated the Edge, saved, closed, and disconnected. Only took 3 or 4 minutes total.

Connecting it to my XBOX, was again, very simple. There's a diagram right on the quick start guide that even shows you the preferred ports for your controller, mouse, & keyboard. Bang. Plugged it up, fired up the XBOX. Launched COD4.

Once in game, I noticed my sensitivity was crazy high. At first, I thought navigating a menu of colored lights may get confusing. I was wrong. Being able to change my sensitivity on the fly, and being able to feel it as I go is just a great great feature. Gone are the days of switching my monitor input over to PC, adjusting my config, saving, switching back, testing...yadda yadda.

Changing the binds for my buttons was very simple as well. IMO this is a well engineered device. It's blown me away. And like I said, I was a XIM2 user afraid to make the jump. Well worth the money spent.

Now, for the actual feel of the product. This device honestly makes Call of Duty feel like a PC. The 1:1 movement is very consistent with my PC version of the game. This is great, because now I can play both versions and never have to "adjust" my aim to match the mechanics of the game. But we knew it would be awesome in COD, what about a really tough game to translate?

CS:GO

Before I say anything, any potential buyer that is reading this, understand that CS:GO has a very very wacky look mechanic. Wacky. Time based acceleration. Aim dampening. You name it. That being said, I was shocked at how well the XIM Edge felt in this game. Granted, it's not 100% perfect, due to the limitations of the game itself. But there is absolutely NO product in the world that could match the XIM Edge's precision in this specific game. If I have any complaints, it's with the game developer, Valve. Not the Edge.

To top it all off, the Edge is nice and compact, and helps neaten up my gaming space a little bit. The LED's provide an extra little glow that's not too bright, but easy to see in the day and night. The structure of the device is light weight, but very durable.

Bottom line: It's the best mouse & keyboard adapter on the market. Doesn't matter if you use a PS3 or an XBOX (it supports both, natively, btw). If you don't buy one, then you hate cute puppies.

Offline Gabbagod

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Edge - First Impressions from an Old School XIMer
« Reply #1 on: 11:33 PM - 08/28/12 »
If CS:GO hadnt been released on console would you have stuck with your Xim2?

Nice first impressions review btw!

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:35 PM - 08/28/12 »
Also, for those who are curious of my gaming background:

I started playing FPS games on the PC in the early 90's. My step dad bought us Wolfenstein the same week it was released. We beat the game several times, and we eventually ended up making mods for it (crappy ones). Not long after, we moved on to Blake Stone (reskinned version of Wolf3D), then Doom... Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem 3D, etc.

Fast forward to 1999, Counter-Strike. The betas were cool, but it lacked a lot of features. Once Valve scooped up the project and hired the team, the game took off. Within 6 months of the game going retail, I had joined my first competitive team. I bounced around for a while, after CAL took off. Played on several east coast, west coast teams, and even ended up on the zEx roster for a while (CAL-i for those who don't know). Eventually, I settled down, and started a local LAN team. We played together for years, won some LAN events, etc etc.

After CAL sold their company, and shut down... we tried CEVO, but it was never the same. Eventually, we all made our retirements from the CS scene. This is where I began exploring the XBOX360, Call of Duty, and mouse/keyboard adapters.

The rest, as they say..... is history.

Offline colb

• MVP
  • The Global Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:37 PM - 08/28/12 »
If CS:GO hadnt been released on console would you have stuck with your Xim2?

Nice first impressions review btw!

Probably not. And that's nothing against my XIM2. I felt the urge to support the XIM brand and make a purchase, as I had skipped over the 3. And I planned on playing other titles, as well (such as BF3, Halo 4, MoH, etc).

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:54 AM - 08/29/12 »
Good write up. Glad you're pleased ;D

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 09:04 AM - 08/29/12 »
Thanks for this colb -- I liked it that we still had active XIM2 people on here, but I'm happy you are an Edge user now. :)

Please repost your feedback here too: http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=22313.0
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:14 AM - 08/29/12 »
nice read!

also im very sure that especially for the non cod games you plan to play, the edge will give you a noticeable improvement in convenience of setup and mouse movement
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline cisco

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: RedHairHaze
  • PSN ID: RedHairHaze
« Reply #7 on: 11:24 AM - 08/29/12 »
very nice, makes me feel good about my purchase, i will be receiving my Edge tomorrow or next day (friggin Smartpost)....

Offline Johnny

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: AAA
  • PSN ID: AAA
« Reply #8 on: 01:26 AM - 08/30/12 »
Nice review colb. +1 for ya :)
United Kingdom / Europe

XIM4 & XIM Edge
- PS4
- Xbox One