XIM Community

PS3 Mode... still needs a controller? Y/N  (Read 5966 times)

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Mode... still needs a controller? Y/N
« Reply #30 on: 11:32 PM - 05/01/12 »
obs does ps3 charging have the same problem the xbox controllers charging have? (introduces noise into the controller, and it attenuates a ton on the headset speaker & mic as feedback.) if you don't know can you check?

hmmmm if it's always trickle charging i'd be weary of using those internet lion's people are selling for them now!. veeeeery bad! that's potentially EXTREMELY bad!

nickle chemistry batteries (nicd AND ESPECIALLY nimh) do not stand up well over long stretches of time being trickle charged. it heats the batteries and they will eventually vent their electrolyte out of the battery. (even when monitored) it is especially common in NIMH because nimh has such a high internal resistance (that gets super worse as the cells age AND they discharge.).
also, modern nickle cells do not have the crazy high self discharge rates older cells had. (tho in all honesty, i would not surprise me AT ALL of 360 and ps3 both used old style cells earlier on)

FWIW, if you want to know how crappy the charging systems & their logic are on things like xbox 360/ps3. I have 10+ year old nicd cells still in service in one of my R/C aircraft, and a transmitter pack. their service is a million times rougher than what little controller's experience. that's the difference your average person/charger and the most advanced nickle battery charger this side of NASA (a rare Alpha PAL).
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11:59 PM - 05/01/12 »
Funny this came up now. I have a solar trickle charger coming from amazon for a car I don't drive often.
Have a problem with your XIM? Find a solution
NEXUS Support FAQ | APEX Support FAQ | XIM4 Support FAQ | Instructional Videos

Offline toysrme

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12:12 AM - 05/02/12 »
that's fine for a car. most lead acid batteries can vent, or are sealed and wont need too.
nickle chemistry batteries can tolerate a good deal of trickling, but it's a primary reason why the controller batteries dont last very well in the grand scheme of things. lithium chem do absolutely not tolerate it. lifepo4's more than the rest, but still not as much as nickle and will eventually burst.

another problem was using pissy batteries. good quality AA sized nimh's are around 2200-3000mah of capacity. xbox 360 OEM's were 1200 at launch, and 1600ma afterwards. wimpy little things.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #33 on: 02:45 PM - 05/02/12 »
Toys, I would think it wouldn't affect a headset on the PS3 since the PS3 headset doesn't run through the controller and thus is outside of the XIM and controller's circuit.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline toysrme

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03:22 PM - 05/02/12 »
dur bluetoof good point.
[/size]

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #35 on: 03:24 PM - 05/02/12 »
Yeah, though if you use something like the Astro Mixamp it's over USB, but it pretty much has to use a separate USB port on the PS3 so should be separate from the XIM unless you're using a hub or something.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline Dark_Storm

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Dark_Storm
« Reply #36 on: 04:14 PM - 05/02/12 »
I have a wired aftermarket controller for PS3.  Is it safe to assume that the Edge will work with it also?  I know with the xbox controller it was hit or miss on the aftermarket wired ones.

Scratch that.  I found my answer in another topic right after I posted this.

Admin