XIM Community

Ballistic curve editing question  (Read 5081 times)

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
Ballistic curve editing question
« on: 12:04 PM - 04/29/12 »
Hi OBsIV, two quick questions:

XIM Edge will feature a new Mouse Ballistics Editor including realtime (i.e. in-game) curve editing using the Peripheral Bridge.

How many points along the curve can we edit?  I vaguely remember that some work was done to try and implement this with XIM3, but it would have required sacrificing a lot of resources/STs/features just to have 8ish points to edit.

Also, I am not clear on what the 'peripheral bridge' is, can you clarify?  Is ximE curve editing like xim1/2/3 profile editing on the PC?

Offline RUnet

• View Profile
Re: Ballistic curve editing question
« Reply #1 on: 01:44 PM - 04/29/12 »
Hey is that you, my formEr World In Conflict buddeh?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 03:09 PM - 04/29/12 »
Think of it like an equalizer. 21 points per curve. 200 steps per-point.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline dmxdex

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05:19 PM - 04/29/12 »
LoL i dont have a clue what all this curve stuff means. Trying to listen and take it all in though.

Offline Ding Chavez

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: DcIhNaGv3z
« Reply #4 on: 10:40 PM - 04/29/12 »
Think of it like an equalizer. 21 points per curve. 200 steps per-point.
Awesome!  Glad to hear the points of precision are a solid number.  Still not sure what you mean by the 'peripheral bridge', but I am sure that will become clear with time.  Thanks :)

Hey is that you, my formEr World In Conflict buddeh?
Sorry... I think you have the wrong Ding Chavez (Ding Chavez is a fairly common name from Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six books/games).

LoL i dont have a clue what all this curve stuff means. Trying to listen and take it all in though.
Its the cure of translation for mouse input.  The joystick angle of deflection has a non-linear relationship to in-game reticle velocity.  The whole point of Smart Translators is that they provide 1:1 relationship between input to in-game output.  However, things like auto-aim can cause some undesirable behavior, making the mouse feel like it gets stuck in tar.  Also, some players prefer a bit of acceleration.  The ballistics curve can give people complete control over how their translation occurs, providing optimal performance. 

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:35 PM - 04/29/12 »
And as the Edge has no display to keep it cheap you will do that on the PC, right? I hope you found a good solution as otherwise its plug/unplug festival. Horrible scenario if it cant stay connected to PC at all time.
Crusade atm: none

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 11:51 PM - 04/29/12 »
And as the Edge has no display to keep it cheap you will do that on the PC, right? I hope you found a good solution as otherwise its plug/unplug festival. Horrible scenario if it cant stay connected to PC at all time.

Yep, have an awesome solution. Live in-game curve editing.

Ding, Peripheral Bridge was introduced with XIM3. It lets you use your PC as an input device via a USB Transfer Cable.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:26 AM - 04/30/12 »
Well Ding that means that Obsiv will surely provide the cable with the Edge for 99$ as the cable is expensive at 25$ (Europe) and as it seems absolutely needed for configuration. Otherwise please calculate 124$ for the XIM Edge.
It also means lag is introduced to Peripherals connected over the PC. Donīt how much but there is. I also hope Obsiv added a USB Port for this or one peripheral has to be connected over PC or plug party.
There are some steps back with this device, its really more a XIM2.1 than a XIM3.1. The step ahead would have been the XIM3 with more horsepower and PS3 support.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 08:51 AM - 04/30/12 »
I expect a smaller set of people to author curves to share with others since you need the cable (which is ~$10 in the US).

You misinterpret and you are completely wrong. Please don't jump to conclusions without taking the time to understand. There is no lag. The cable is used to manipulate the curve on your device at runtime.

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #9 on: 08:56 AM - 04/30/12 »
There are some steps back with this device, its really more a XIM2.1 than a XIM3.1. The step ahead would have been the XIM3 with more horsepower and PS3 support.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but to me this device sounds like an expansion of the product line and neither a step back nor a step forward (though the PS3 inclusion could be construed as a step forward). In any case, it's not the flagship product - XIM 3 is. This product doesn't have a screen and may require a bit more time spent on the PC side of things, however, I'd guess the number of people who use the ballistics curve will be few and far between. So requiring a PC for that niche doesn't seem like a big deal.

Am I correct in assuming though there will be some way to map buttons from the controller to the keyboard/mouse without a PC? Something like holding down the button on the controller until the XIM flashes followed by pressing the button you want to map it to on the mouse or keyboard?
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 08:58 AM - 04/30/12 »
I expect more people to use curves others have made. When you see the feature it'll make sense.

Yes, in game configuration is supported.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09:12 AM - 04/30/12 »
Also, you don't NEED to get a USB transfer cable to use ballistics.  The cable is only if you want real-time editing. 

It's quite easy to make 3 or 4 curves for the same game and just save them under different configs.  Then you can switch among them while in game (or private match), and see which curve works the best for you.  No, it's not as fast as using the transfer cable, but at least it gives people the option of saving some money on the cable.

No, it's not a step back at all.  Not even close.

Offline singlecoilpickup

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: CoilTap
  • PSN ID: singlecoilpickup
« Reply #12 on: 09:29 AM - 04/30/12 »
I expect more people to use curves others have made. When you see the feature it'll make sense.

Yes, in game configuration is supported.

Interesting, I'm definitely excited. I love my XIM 3, but native PS3 support is going to be awesome to check out.
Xbox One / PC
XIM Apex / Logitech G Pro Keyboard / Logitech G900
Astro MixAmp Pro TR / Sennheiser HD598 / Blue Yeti Mic

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11:45 AM - 04/30/12 »
You misinterpret and you are completely wrong. Please don't jump to conclusions without taking the time to understand.

You mean taking the time to elaborate what? The information given is near to nothing. One can only guess there is a fifth USB port and a screen missing and now we know the Edge cant calculate Ballistics realtime. PS3 support that could have been done with the XIM3 also. Dont see a step ahead there but OK Ill wait for the final features.

Offline mindworm22

• MVP
  • "I'm your huckleberry..."
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Liquidboy
« Reply #14 on: 11:55 AM - 04/30/12 »
Roads -

He said earlier the PS3 support couldn't happen with XIM3 due to the adapter issue, the difference in refresh rates of the controllers (100hz PS3, 125 Xbox), etc.  I think you're a bit off here...

"You beat that horse to a bloody pulp in that circle-jerk of a thread .... and then poured the remains in a blender, pureed them, and gargled the leftovers. How you're not sick of it is beyond me." --- RookCheck

Admin