XIM Community

Why 400 DPI are enough for everybody...  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
Re: Why 400 DPI are enough for everybody...
« Reply #15 on: 10:20 AM - 02/25/09 »
Sorry if I quote myself...

If the last step of the pipeline has a tickrate of 125Hz, you could have a trillion Hz mouse before but it would not matter. Look at this picture:

Having 1000Hz does not change the speed of electrons, nor the xim processing. It simply reduces the waiting time between one mouse input and the other. But this leads nowhere, as only one input per xbox tick can pass.

The error is that when you convert 1000Hz to 1ms or 125Hz to 8ms, you are wrong in thinking that this is the "processing" time (so the former is faster). This is a waiting time. The transmission and processing of the signal has the same speed.

I hope I convinced you.

I am by no means an expert on any of this, but from my understanding from this chart its not making sense. You saying the optimum setting is 1/1?

Your assuming that at a 1 to 1 poll rate the the xbox and mouse rates are in sync where the mouse is sending its signal at the last possible moment before the xbox process's its own. The xbox rate and mouse rate on a timeline can and will be out of sync. For your assumption to be correct the xbox will have to recieve the signal from the XIM/mouse at the very last moment before it sends its own signal. There is no way to guarentee that the mouse, XIM, and xbox poll rates are in sync on a timeline. So from what im seeing, a mouse poll rate at 1000hz will give you 8 times the chance the xbox is recieving the most up to date signal. Am i right?

Yes, you are.

What you depict is a worst case scenario and the higher polling rate for the mouse the better the chances you get a sync. What I depicted in the graph is a best case scenario, where you get a perfect sync.

The reality is that we likely have an average scenario, where I guess you have ~4ms delay for 125Hz mouse and ~0,5ms for the 1000Hz.

So in some sense toysrme was right.
« Last Edit: 10:28 AM - 02/25/09 by Memento_Mori »

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07:34 PM - 02/25/09 »
how god damned ignorant are you?

the PC must process the mouse input. period. the faster it does this, the less amount of time it takes for the input to reach the screen. period.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
[/size]

Offline Memento_Mori

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03:33 AM - 02/26/09 »
how god damned ignorant are you?

I have a master in computer science from a good European university and I'm doing a phd at a very well known company, and yes, I usually feel quite ignorant  about stuff that is new to me. What about you, pal?

the PC must process the mouse input. period. the faster it does this, the less amount of time it takes for the input to reach the screen. period.

Look, I have the impression you are not curious about this topic, and you are here only to enforce your opinion, blindly passing trough any post that apparently goes against what you say.

If I am wrong, just tell me and I'll spend more time than I already have writing my point of view. Otherwise bye bye...

Offline RecklessLG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12:55 PM - 02/26/09 »
800 DPI is probably the best setting for most gaming purposes.

Let's debunk the most popular myth and the biggest gimmick perpetrated on gamers since the beginning of the history of gaming mice.

Higher DPI does not equal higher presicion.

First of all the term DPI is wrong as well, as mice uses Counts Per Inch or CPI.  CPI is the resolution of your mouse sensor, or how many "counts" can the mouse detect when you move 1 inch.   But just for the sake of simplicity and less confusion, let's call it DPI.  Now, let's take a mouse with one of the highest DPI settings in the market.  The "Razer Lachesis" and its impressive 4000 DPI.  Also, for this test let's assume we have a 24'' wide screen monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200.  In order to test this more accurately, we would also have to have a configuration of this mouse of 1:1 (or in plain English "max sensitivity").  Now, if we set this mouse to 4000 DPI and we move it only 1 inch the pointer will fly through the screen almost twice in width in under an inch of movement.  Since the mouse becomes unmanageable you have to modifying either the DPI or the sensitivity.  Let's say you move the slider for sensitivity to the exact middle, that will turn the sensitivity multiplier to 0.5 and thus successfully downgrading your 4000 DPI mouse into a 2000 DPI one.   This is why high DPI mouse statements are gimmicky and ridiculous, yet, they help sell more expensive mice.
So... why everybody says higher DPI will make me more accurate?  the answer is simple, it's marketing B.S.

Still not convinced? - http://www.fragyou.net/?page_id=24

Offline Tonester

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: EpicNerd
  • PSN ID: A_McCulley
« Reply #19 on: 08:41 PM - 02/28/09 »
Many of us have already stated this.  I made a post which clearly showed all the DPI you would need depending on your "turn rate" and the size of your monitor:

http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=406.15

Essentially, no one needs more than 1200-1600 DPI for a 360.

Here is the short of it:

So, how much DPI would your mouse need for COD4 on an XBox 360 in Hi-Def?

1080p / 6000 pixels:
High Sens: 360 degrees in 0.1 m (4"), roughly 1500 DPI needed
Medium Sens: 360 degrees in 0.25 m (10"), roughly 600 DPI needed
Low Sens: 360 degrees in 0.50 m (20"), roughly 300 DPI needed

720p / 4000 pixels:
High Sens: 360 degrees in 0.1 m (4"), roughly 1000 DPI needed
Medium Sens: 360 degrees in 0.25 m (10"), roughly 400 DPI needed
Low Sens: 360 degrees in 0.50 m (20"), roughly 200 DPI needed

Now, keep in mind that these speeds are based upon hardcore PC players.  I would think the speeds would be a bit lower across the board due to speed constraints in the console versions of games.  It would be interesting to see how the highest sensi allowed for COD4 on a 360 compares to these speeds above on the PC version.