XIM Community

new product from splitfish founder, same old logic  (Read 1001 times)

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus

Offline CEOrko

• MVP
  • Devil's Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: new product from splitfish founder, same old logic
« Reply #1 on: 06:21 PM - 02/27/09 »
I was browsing some gaming news and came across this:

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2009/02/25/new-fps-controller-for-ps3/

First person shooters are popular on pretty much every platform, but PC gamers have always claimed that the mouse and keyboard combination are ideal for the FPS gaming control scheme. Having played the games on both the PC and consoles I would tend to agree.

A new peripheral for the PS3 is being released in ninety days thatíll allow console gamers to achieve a slice of that pinpoint accuracy. Itís actually two controllers, and unfortunately for any lefties itís obviously designed only for right handed gamers as the buttons on the mouse are located on the left side for easy thumb access. The other controller is a bit like a Wiimote, with its own analog stick and d-pad.

I still think the XIM will reign supreme, but I thought I'd share.

Agreed with phene, though I am just as interested in the non-mouse half of this one as I was with the FragFX. Saitek or some other game controller manufacturer needs to release a similar type of controller for PCs, preferably with twice as many buttons and complete customization through software.

EDIT: Anyway, the developer's site says this one is PC-compatible. Maybe worth trying out since even if it doesn't work with the XIM normally it can be set up through PPJoy.
« Last Edit: 08:14 PM - 02/27/09 by CEOrko »

Offline OMGsus

• Administrator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: OMGsus
  • PSN ID: OMGsus
« Reply #2 on: 08:45 PM - 02/27/09 »
I was browsing some gaming news and came across this:

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2009/02/25/new-fps-controller-for-ps3/

First person shooters are popular on pretty much every platform, but PC gamers have always claimed that the mouse and keyboard combination are ideal for the FPS gaming control scheme. Having played the games on both the PC and consoles I would tend to agree.

A new peripheral for the PS3 is being released in ninety days thatíll allow console gamers to achieve a slice of that pinpoint accuracy. Itís actually two controllers, and unfortunately for any lefties itís obviously designed only for right handed gamers as the buttons on the mouse are located on the left side for easy thumb access. The other controller is a bit like a Wiimote, with its own analog stick and d-pad.

I still think the XIM will reign supreme, but I thought I'd share.

Agreed with phene, though I am just as interested in the non-mouse half of this one as I was with the FragFX. Saitek or some other game controller manufacturer needs to release a similar type of controller for PCs, preferably with twice as many buttons and complete customization through software.

EDIT: Anyway, the developer's site says this one is PC-compatible. Maybe worth trying out since even if it doesn't work with the XIM normally it can be set up through PPJoy.

Heh. I tried to see if anyone posted about it first, but only so much I can do easily from an iPhone.

I think It's a solid product from the normal market. I see XIM as an extreme/purist tool(Toy).

The fact that it just works on a PC is a plus, but it's already fact that the PS3 uses regular usb anyway aside from a little protocol/driver hanky panky with the sixaxis.

Offline StealthKnife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01:13 AM - 03/01/09 »
Interesting to say the least.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/27/mlani-introduces-new-fps-controller-for-ps3/
it looks easy (plug in and play)  but wont have as many adjustments

Admin